Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Samsung to kill off its "S Voice" Voice Assistant by June 1, 2020

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  17671 
#1 ·
By now, we've all seen the S Voice icon on our Samsung Smart phones and Smart Tablets, and most of us have thought nothing of it and never ever used it, now we can forget about it because Samsung is killing it off. S Voice was a basic voice assistant, nothing comparable to Alexa or Siri or Hey Google. Ya it has been around for a while but finally its being killed off according to Samsung and Google 9 to 5. Now the question is did you ever use it? I NEVER used it, I always disabled Voice Assistants on my Cell Phones. I wanted to get the most out of battery life and data usage and a app running 24/7 listening for my commands was not my thing.

I have it pre-installed on mine and my wife's Galaxy A8, so I doubt we would be able to uninstall it, there's no uninstall option, but yeah we can probably safely disable it and it would be hidden from our App Launcher and Home Screens.
This is NOT a big blow to Samsung as it seems because Samsung's still come built in with the Hey Google voice assistant which is what everyone uses anyways.

#2 ·
I wasn't aware that Samsung had a voice assistant and, obviously, never used it. I just wish they would ditch Bixby next. The Bixby button, in particular, is a huge annoyance. In my opinion, the best thing Samsung could do is supply a "pure" Android device with no unnecessary Samsung modifications and put their efforts into quicker O/S updates for an extended time frame.

#3 ·
I am lucky to have a Samsung android WITHOUT a dedicated bixby button, mine has power and volume, but I do hear many people complaining about the bixby button. My phone came with Bixby as well but I disabled it, I dont want stuff pushed onto me I want to make my own decision. I feel a personal voice assistant is perfect for home use only, the more stuff you try to get your phone to do like constantly listening to voice commands, etc it slows down the processing power and shortens battery life, my phones amazing battery life ever since i got rid of all those garbage apps and games that were killing it.

#4 ·
When the Bixby button was first introduced it could not be disabled. The last couple of model years introduced an option to do so. The change was the result of a lot of people complaining. Apps became available to change the behaviour of the Bixby button on previous models but they never worked well due to the way it was implemented.

I wouldn't use Samsung's voice assistant (or any other) unless absolutely necessary due to possible invasions of privacy. Every extra voice assistant on a phone or similar device increases the chance of hacking the service by criminals. I'm happy Samsung is getting rid of it.

#5 ·
Well I did it, I disabled the S Voice App, might as well do it now cus I might forget later on. I never used it but meh, One less thing to worry about. As for the Google App., I want to disable it too, because I do not use Voice Assistant on my handset, I would rather use Smart Speaker at home for Voice Assistant Commands rather than waste precious resources on my cell phone for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.