Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Samsung Model UN55MU6300F Smart TV and have the digital (optical) audio output connected to my Pioneer receiver using a digital to analog converter. When playing shows from TV cable, TV cable recordings, or audio from the flash card reader port or audio from my laptop using Serviio, the output to my receiver and external speakers works fine. However, when I play movies from my laptop using Serviio, there is no external audio, only from the TV speakers. The same thing happens using any of the smart TV apps, like Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, etc. When I mute the TV speakers, I still get the beeps from my external speakers going from app to app and the "ta-da" when loading Netflix, but no external audio after that. What is the problem?

·
Super Moderator
56,464 Posts
1. I have a Samsung Model UN55MU6300F Smart TV and have the digital (optical) audio output connected to my Pioneer receiver using a digital to analog converter. When playing shows from TV cable, TV cable recordings, or audio from the flash card reader port or audio from my laptop using Serviio, the output to my receiver and external speakers works fine.

2. However, when I play movies from my laptop using Serviio, there is no external audio, only from the TV speakers. The same thing happens using any of the smart TV apps, like Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, etc. When I mute the TV speakers, I still get the beeps from my external speakers going from app to app and the "ta-da" when loading Netflix, but no external audio after that. What is the problem?
1. Are all of these items going "through" the TV or are they connected directly to the AVR?

2. You need to enable "external speakers" (or something similar) in the TV's audio menu system, not simply mute the TV's audio. When you do this the audio should be sent to the optical port and the TV's internal speakers will not function.

Note paragraph four of the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17870-faq-whats-available-dd5-1-a.html

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I agree. TVs that I've used will send audio to either the internal speakers or the external digital audio port but not both. That's determined by the audio settings on the TV.

Another possibility is that the received audio stream is not compatible with the digital audio port or the D/A converter. That should not happen but it may be possible to correct in the TV settings by setting the audio output to PCM. It may be necessary to upgrade the D/A converter if it does not recognize Dolby Digital audio. Some streaming services use Dolby Digital Plus which could be an issue with cheaper or dated D/A converters that do not recognize higher bitrate audio streams.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Everything is going through the TV. The only audio output is the Optical.

2. The Sound Menu on the TV lets me select either TV Speakers, Audio Out/Optical or Bluetooth (which I use for headphones)

Expert Settings under Sound include
HDMI Input Audio Format (I have PCM, default is Bitstream)
Digital Output Audio Format (only PCM available, DD, DD+, DTS etc. greyed out)

The odd thing is, when TV Speakers are selected (where I have it), the Optical Output still works, so I have "front" and "rear" speakers, the rear ones connected to my Receiver. When I select Optical Output, the TV speakers are off. I tried selecting Optical Output and it made no difference to external audio not working with the apps.

That's about all I can tell you. Maybe ExDilbert's suggestion it's the cheap D/A converter, but since the TV doesn't have Dolby, I don't know.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
The only thing I can suggest at this point is that the audio output from Serviio, Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, etc is incompatible with either the TV or the D/A converter. Serviio will probably output whatever the source material provides unless it is set to PCM. (Most HD content is bitstream.) Don't know what the TV apps would output but it could be bitstream. They may have individual sound settings.

Expert Settings under Sound include
HDMI Input Audio Format (I have PCM, default is Bitstream)
This may be an issue since this is the input format, not output. I would set the input format to bitstream and the output to whatever the D/A converter can handle. If that's only PCM then set it to that. Don't know if the TV will convert bitstream input to PCM output but it might.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts