Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'd honestly spring for the S9+ if only for one thing: the bigger battery! Performance of the device is great, and doesn't suffer from the slowdowns typical of earlier Samsung phones over time. Display is fantastic, camera is quite good (though a bit below the Pixel 2 / 3 and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro), and battery life is fairly good on the S9+.

As for the negatives, if you want the latest version of Android or a stripped-down experience, this isn't the phone for you. That said, Samsung has actually been doing pretty good with security updates lately (keeping within 30-60 days of Google on that one). Some people also hate the curved screen, though there's an app called "Edge Touch" in the Galaxy Apps store that lets you set up zones where it won't detect touch input.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
I certainly won't be buying another Samsung phone.

I purchased a new S7 in early 2017 and it still has the same Android version 6 software and security patches from 2016. No updates since.

Samsung claims that's the latest software.

I'll try a Google phone next time.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
I have an S8+ which was released in mid 2017. The S9+ is almost the same but with a faster processor and better audio. The S9 phones have Android 8.0 vs 7.1. Received a security update just a few days ago and major updates earlier this year. I went for the S8+ for the larger screen. The battery is larger but run time is about the same due to the larger screen. There are only two things I don't like about the phone. The first are the extra crapps added by Rogers and Samsung that cannot be removed. The other is the Bixby button. It's a giant PITA.

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
I purchased a new S7 in early 2017 and it still has the same Android version 6 software and security patches from 2016. No updates since.
That doesn't make sense. Most Canadian telcos rolled out Android 7 for the S7 in March 2017. (source)

Samsung plans to release Android 8.0 to Canadians in January 2019, including S7 - https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA/notice_detail?id=1364

If you want to be the first to receive Android updates, then a Google phone is the way to go.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dr.Dave said:
That doesn't make sense. Most Canadian telcos rolled out Android 7 for the S7 in March 2017.
Yep, but I have a Canadian factory unlocked model that has never been attached to any telco's software. Samsung decided it wouldn't bother releasing any updates to that model. All the other international factory unlocks get the releases, but not the Canadian model.

I'll test to see if Google cares more about their customers for my next phone.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
I looked closely at Google phones. They do get updates more often and longer than other phones. On the down side, the hardware is not as good as some other flagship phones and they are more expensive. If you want to spend that much for less, might as well get an iPhone.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Yeah, I'm almost certain my brother's Galaxy S7 also has Oreo already. Not sure why that link is saying January 2019.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
Samsung rolled out Oreo in the summer, but there were problems with some phones, so it's possible not all S7s were updated. I don't know the exact details.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like the phone. Lots of memory 256 gb. Put a 256 gb card in it too just so there`s no memory problems. Battery lasts a long time. One problem , when they did an update they got rid of the dual bluetooth connection option. I wish they would bring that back. Other than that , a good phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts