Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm finally ready for my home theater purchase. Been shopping around and initially planed to go with the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50S1, but the Samsung PN50B650 TV with the HT-AS730 HTIB & BDP1600 Blue Ray player all for $2500 (basically, the surround system + player for just $100 on top the price of the TV).

I've read excellent reviews of the PN50B650, so I feel pretty confident going with the Samsung instead of Panasonic as far as TV goes. My only reservations are with the surround system. I've read pretty crappy reviews, though compared to economic HTIB with passive woofer in the store, this one sounded much better (it does have an active woofer & individual speakers). In fact, I thought it sounded pretty good when playing back a movie (not so with music). Though admittedly, I haven't compared it with other systems of similar caliber (namely, active woofer & individual speakers)

Also, it cannot transcode TrueHD sound, though if I understand correctly it will transmit it if the player transcodes it. Can someone confirm?

Apart from that, I guess my question boils down to whether or not I might be able to do better for the price ($2,500) including TV + Surround system + player... should I consider opting for a cheaper TV and invest more in the Sound system, or is this the best 'bang for the buck' I can hope for?

I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally think it's an awsome deal, just the player alone is worth more than the $100 difference you're quoting. If you really like the TV, think of it this way - your're getting the TV and a decent Blu-ray for just $100 on top and a HTIB for free. Give the HTIB a try if you really don't like it then sell it on Craigslist for cheap or return to FS (if possible at all).
BTW, which FS location has the PN50B650, I see they only offer the 58'' version on their website? I'm also debating the Panny (S1 in particular) vs Samsung at the moment so if any store has the PN50B650 I'd like to go and have a look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi NucluarBlast,

Thanks for the response. I thought pretty much the same thing. So the main question in this point is whether or not the TV is at $2400 a fair market price or overpriced... I'm having a bit of a hard time finding more results from Canada.

(a bit frustrating googling through all those juicy US prices :))

I got the deal at the Yonge & Dundus location. The rep said that it's on until Thursday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Way over priced

The benchmark low price in the US on pricegrabber.com is about $1355. Abe's Of Maine ships to Canada for free. Since this is exporting to Canada, the site quotes $0 state taxes. Therefore the only tax you pay in Ontario is the PST+GST @ 13% total + the difference in USD to CDN. After all taxes + exchange rate the TV should be about $1759 CDN. Definately much cheaper!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts