Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Is anyone familiar with the Samsung LN40C610 or similar models (e.g. LNxxx630) of LCDs? I am using a simple indoor antenna to receive OTA signals. Occasionally, when attempting to view a poor signal strength channel, the TV displays "Mode not supported" and becomes slow and unresponsive. The only solution is to turn off/on.

I have reasons to believe this problem is not limited to my model.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Does this sound like a hardware problem?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah I have the same model. I dont use OTA though. The only thing I can recommend, is updating the firmware. I can help you with that if you want, or you can speak to Samsung tech support.

Now can you help me with something. Do you use the connect share featureÉ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Tuner problems

I have two of these 40 inch TVs and have the same problem. I also have a Series 5 model with the same problem. I'm using 'rabbit ears' testing OTA before getting rid of satellite.

I believe when the TV is on a digital channel (It doesn't happen on NTSC channels) and the signal is weak, the picture starts to break up, you get the weak signal message, the screen goes black, and it does not respond to the remote for about a minute because the tuner goes into scanning mode where it's autoscanning for channels, as if you went into the menu and did an autoscan. it takes about the same amount of time (when picture goes black and does not respond).

It is very annoying and I wish Samsung would release a firmware fix for this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had samsung techniques at my home because of same problem and all what they said that i need a cable tv and my tv is not a tv but a monitor like for computer, and everything is ok with my "monitor"(LN40C610). After 20 minutes arguing with them and trying to proof that I'm not a complete idiot they said, they will request for exchange, but they guarantee that it will work same....I'm really frustrated about my samsung experience

·
Registered
4 Posts
LN40B610

I had been getting the same message from time to time .... just last night on TV) (24-1). However, my major headache at the moment is not being able to manually enter a channel. Scanning with my rotor pointed southwest, where most of my channels are, I lose WCFE (57-1, 57-2, 57-3), and can't seem to enter it manually. If I scan while pointed to the southeast, I get my WCFE back, but lose a lot of my other channels. I know I'm not getting any brighter, but I don't seem to remember this issue when I first bought the Samsung in December 2009. I spoke to Samsung but the rep didn't seem to have any solutions. What a pain!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Samsung TV: adding channels

Like Gully Rider, I found myself hampered by the inability to rescan and add to the previously scanned Over the Air channels on my Samsung PN50B550T2F. In other words, to 'update' rather than 'rescan'. However, I have found a method, which, though cumbersome, may be helpful to others:
1. List the channels you expect to receive. In my case, wanting to scan in Toronto, Hamilton, and some Buffalo stations: 5, 9, 11, 17, 19, 25, 36, 41, 44, 57, 64, 66.
2. In the same order as your channel list, list the antenna orientation that will receive each desired channel. In my case: 40, 40, 60, 100, 40, 38, 68, 40, 38, 40, 40, 40.
3. Set your antenna to the first number. Go in the menu to Auto Program and start memorising the 'Air' Channels. Watch as the TV keeps track of how many channels are found. In my case, when I got to 3 digital channels found (ignore the analog results) , I then hit 'stop' or 'suspend', which will pause the scanning. Then move your antenna to the setting for the next channel you expect to be found. Meanwhile, the TV will be asking if you are sure you want to suspend scanning: click no and it will resume scanning.
With a certain amount of trial and error, you can develop a strategy which should allow you to programme the channels you want from the different directions. It worked for me on the above referenced TV model; perhaps it will work for others as well. In developing the strategy, take into account that strong channels will not need to be precisely tuned in order to be picked up in the scan: in my case nearby CHCH 11 and strong CBC signals from the CN tower can hardly be missed. Take note of the stations which require careful setting of the antenna rotation: in my case, making sure I get 41 and 57 from the CN tower, while still picking up PBS 17 from Grand Island Buffalo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gotta Be Quick!

Thanks Cumberland ... that was a great idea. I've got a few issues with the accuracy of my aging CM rotor and rotor control, but was able to recover what I was after nevertheless. You've got to be quick though .. at least with my remote. It doesn't stop the scan just as quickly as I would like when I'm ready to re-orient the antenna. Just the same ... a brilliant solutionto a vexing problem. You were a lot more help than the Samsung "experts"!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts