Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I just got off the phone with Samsung's customer service and they were of absolutely no help.

Manufacturer: Samsung
TV: LCD
Model: LN52B630
Error message: "Not Supported Video Data"

- Message pops up when attempting to watch an .avi file (usually 700mb or larger) using the USB 2.0 feature. Even with files that I've watched error-free in the past. This just started a few weeks ago :confused:
- I'll also add that after the error pops up, I'll try and watch the file again and it works.

Samsung support first advised me that it's a compatibility issue - wrong! The file's are .avi and mpeg files, which I've been able to watch in the past. Support advised me that I can only watch videos using mp3 and jpeg files!!! Hahaha! Sorry, I found that funny because he claims to have quoted the manual. I explained that mp3 is for audio files such as music and jpeg is for pictures, he told me that I was misinformed. :eek:

Samsung support then advised me that my firmware needed to be updated - wrong! The lastest update is 1014 which is dated 01/06/2010; he told me it was as of March 14, 2010?! :rolleyes: He obviously just wanted to get me off the phone...which I have found to be a typical tactic in customer service as of late.

Since spending $2600 to purchase this TV has no bearing on the type of support I receive from the manufacturer, I was hoping someone else has had the same experience with a solution.

·
Registered
358 Posts
had the same issue in the past (different Samsung TV thought)... from what i've learned it all has to do with file size and if i keep the files around 700mb they play fine.. Anything over I have issues... just a thought.

don't know if it is some sort of RAM issue in the TV or what... Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I think the same thing, I just find it odd that these files would play before, without any problems. I'll just live with it for now...Samsung doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The video codec in an avi file can vary. They are not all the same and some will not be compatible with your TV. For example newer files use the H264 codec which is a more efficient (smaller file size) version of other Mpeg 4 codecs like Xvid or Divx. If a particular file played in the past and now doesn't, there are a couple of possibilities. The TV's decoding firmware has been updated and the new version can't decode what the older version could. Updates are not always better. The other possibility is that the file itself has been corrupted. A single wrong bit can make a file incompatible. Try another copy of the file. Of course the TV may have a failure in a component related to video playback or when you say "they played before" you mean avi's played before not necessarily a particular avi. I also agree tech support from manufacturers is spotty at best. That's why these forums are usually your best source of reliable information. Hope that applies to this info as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks snorlax...I'd agree with you regarding the compatability issue, but the files do play, just not on the first attempt.

The same exact files that played fine when I first purchased my TV are experiencing the same problem, but mainly on the first try. It doesn't matter if I try another file, I think it has to do with size. The files play fine on my DVD Player via USB as well as on my laptop, so I don't think they're corrupt.

I've kind of just gotten used to having to press play twice...I think I'll have to live with it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Some other troubleshooting ideas...

Have you changed the USB drive that you normally use? Is it a new large capacity drive? Does it have the new USB encryption utilities pre-installed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two USB drives that I'm using are at least 5 years old, one being a 1GB and the other a 4GB. I also use my 250GB external hard drive once in a while. They all do the exact same thing.

Are you suggesting that the latest firmware update is better compatible with the newer USB drives?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts