Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
This case illustrates two all too common problems in modern society.

1) The IT "expert" who believes everything a computer tells him - This IT worker saw a virus alert and blindly believed it. Big mistake. Anyone with experience on computers knows all virus scanners are prone to false positives. I could fill a book with false junk IT "experts" have told me that could never be true but sure sounds plausible. But they often possess a dangerous combination of above average intelligence with delusionally high infalliability. That makes their dishonest claims sound so authoritative that it makes small problems into big ones.

2) The service manager who makes up false excuses for things - This too is something we all experience too often. It seems as soon as someone achieves their first job or status upgrade, they develop and innate need to defend their employer, regardless of the honesty, probability or just plain common sense of a situation. Sounds like this manager either relayed or created a fictional explanation for the presence of keylogging software, even though the software, and the imaginary rationale for it, never actually existed.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If true, it wouldn't be the first time that such a thing had happened. There have been a number of incidents where viruses and other malware have made its way into products.

I do agree about overreacting to virus scanner reports though. I've seen a number of false positives in the past couple of years. One time, the AV software started deleting all the executable files on my drive. I did overreact to that a little, but not because I thought there was a virus. :eek:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Did this IT consultant really overreact? I'm not familiar with Samsung laptops and what software is preloaded but the scanner that made the detection, is it preloaded with the laptop? If it is, I'd want some answers too and apparently, that's what the guy did. The article says he called tech support and he claims they told him "We just put it there to find out how the computer is being used." :confused:

I don't think I'd like that answer either. I would have checked it with a different virus scanner but I'd still report what I'd found. To who? I don't know. Maybe I'd rant about it here. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts