Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original problem was that I couldn't get the ARC (audio return channel) function to work properly, and then I was having problems with the 3D functionality. I thought that I would start a new post since I believe the problem is not specific to the features. To summarize, I have a 3D Samsung tv (LN46C750) and a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player (BD-C6900). When connected back-to-back, 3D works, as well as having the ability to control devices via the 'Anynet' connectivity. The problems begin when I attempt to incorporate my Pioneer (VSX-1020-K) audio amplifier.

I have read on many posts that there are a lot of issues with HDMI interoperability amongst different manufacturers. It seems that everyone has a different implementation for the HDMI interface, and that they may not all play properly together. I discovered this to be the case as soon as I tried to get things working with my Pioneer receiver. The most common solution was to DISABLE HDMI control on everything. I did this on all three devices, and was able to enjoy what I thought was a working 3D setup. Wrong. I have since discovered that the problem is not really the HDMI interface, but rather, it is another Samsung feature called 'BD-Wise'. This is a feature that allows the tv to ‘auto-adjust’ the resolution to best display the connected device. In effect the Blu-ray player tells the tv that it is trying to play a 3D movie, and the tv adjusts itself accordingly.

In troubleshooting my problem, I noticed that every time the system 'broke', I could 'fix' it by simply hooking up the Samsung TV to the Samsung Blu-ray player. This would force the tv to auto-adjust for the proper resolution for 3D. But I noticed that in the top left corner of the screen, I would see the resolution information, and I would see a little image of a TV and device with the words 'BD-Wise' indicating that the link was being established. Further, I would see little dots travelling on the wire between the two, which I assume indicates that there is communication between the two devices.

When I put the Pioneer in the middle, I may or may not see the 'BD-Wise' indicator (but I don't see the dots travelling between them). If I see the BD-Wise indicator, the 3D function will work. If I don't see it, 3D will not work. I noticed that every time I change my sources, it will break my 3D functionality. That is, if I go to a regular DVD, or go into RF mode, the 3D functionality will be broken again when I try to play the 3D movie again. The Pioneer receiver doesn't allow the BD-Wise communication to be made, so the TV will remember it's last setting, and if you put on a regular DVD, it will go out of 3D mode. The BD-Wise signal will not travel through the Pioneer to signal the TV to switch resolutions.

The next strategy was to attempt to set the input resolution to some ‘fixed mode’ that would accommodate the 3D functionality. I played around with some of the menus, but could never achieve this. Did I waste my money on purchasing the Pioneer receiver? In the end, I believe that I need to hookup the tv to the blu-ray player whenever I use the 3D function. This will get things synced up properly. Then I could move my HDMI cables around to include the Pioneer in the middle. it's pretty inconvenient, but since I anticipate watching very few 3D movies, it will have to do...

BTW, Samsung support was not very helpful at all. After a lengthy explanation of the problem, they returned a one-liner:
You will need to disable the Anynet+ and BD-Wise options as they only work with Samsung products.
Not very helpful at all...

Bottom line: I would advise that you stick to one manufacturer…

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I may be able to alleviate the hassle of moving HDMI cables around everytime that I want to use my Blu-ray player. Does anyone know if there are v1.4 HDMI switches available yet? I see a lot of 1.3 HDMI stuff around, but I can't seem to find any 1.4 HDMI switches. Ideally, if there is some type of DPDT switch, I could temporarily flip a switch, get the tv & player in the right modes, and then flip a switch to incorporate the receiver...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally. I came up with a workable solution. The problem was not the TV’s resolution adjustment, but instead, it was the Blu-ray player. I believe the BD-Wise feature uses logic to determine which resolution to run. Whenever I put a 3D movie in the tray, the Blu-ray player goes into 3D mode, and then it attempts to communicate with the attached device to determine if it can support the 3D signal. If it determines that it can’t, it will come out of 3D mode. So, when my Blu-ray player attempted to communicate with the Pioneer receiver, it concluded that it was not capable of supporting the 3D resolution and output the signal in regular 2D mode.

When the Blu-ray player is back-to-back with the TV, and a 3D movie is playing, the resolution goes to 1080p @ 24 Hz (fps?). So to resolve my problem, I just configured my 3D mode (in the Blu-ray player) to the same fixed output resolution. My settings:

TV:
BD-Wise: Off
Anynet: Receiver - On

Blu-ray:
3D mode: 3D
BD-Wise: Off
Resolution: 1080p
Movie Frame(24Fs): On
Progressive Mode: Auto
Anynet: On

Now, I can switch between a variety of different sources, change resolutions, etc., and whenever I put in a 3D movie, the Blu-ray player will output the video in a fixed known configuration, which the Pioneer will pass along to my TV. Note that the Pioneer has a feature which will automatically upconvert sources as required. I’m happy that I don’t need to look at third-party HDMI switches now…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts