Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It is a Samsung propriatary (sp??) OS. It is just a "smartphone looking" normal phone.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Instinct Review

Not a very positive review. Complaints include a lousy browser and no desktop sync

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I loved the scratched screen complaint. I learned a long time ago to never use a touch screen device without a screen protector.

I think that this review illustrates the problem with this phone. It is being presented as a smartphone, which raises too many expectations. It should be advertised as simply a phone which is smart.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am sorry but that makes no sense at all. Your real limitation will be the speed of the internet connection AND the congestion on the wifi access point that you would try to use. With all that taken into consideration, it would be near impossible to expect that your wifi (Unless you are at home and have a 10 mbps ISP service) experience will litterally be no faster than EV-DO.
Sorry to be so nonsensical... The places I would most use the iPhone are at home, at work, at friend's places, and at certain coffee shops and restaurants where I get free access through Aliant. All of which have wifi at high speeds with minimal congestion.

EVDO, on the other hand, depends on the quality of mycell signal, and at any given time that can be 1 bar to full bars in the above mentioned areas, or sometimes zero in basements.

That is why no wifi is deal-breaker for me. Hope that makes sense...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yes that makes a whole lot more sense. If you are using low/no congestion wifi with a very fast INTERNET service attached to it, then I can see that it would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Not a lot of cell phones have desktop sync without having to install extra software (ie Motorola Phone Tools). As stated before this is NOT a smartphone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no spare battery

i managed to get a peak into the box for the phone being released tomorrow
and am disappointed in the fact that in the u.s. version, they include an
extra battery and a separate charger for it, yet not bundled in the phone they are selling in Canada.:confused:

·
Registered
763 Posts
i'm curious.. if theres no desktop sync software, how do they go about letting people do software updates to the phone? i guess recently samsung released an update for the instinct. i guess it could be possible to update the phone without having an actual contact/calender/email/whatever sync software available.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Teething Pains?

Walked into a Bell store a little while ago to play around with the Instinct. I had an impatient ten year old in tow so I didn't get to do an in-depth fiddle but it seemed a tad underwhelming. They've had the phones in since Thursday but internet still not enabled so no web and no GPS. HUH??
Also, the swiping/dragging will need some getting used to as it seemed relatively insensitive. I hope that function is adjustible. The qwerty pad seemed very good; I've been using a Samsung A570 for the last three years so texting on this phone is a huge upgrade.
I want to love this new phone. I've had Samsung phones for my last two contracts (over 6 years) and I'm mightily impressed by the build quality. No phone problems. Not One.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have lost interest in the Instinct already. This phone seems far too rudimentary a product to spend money on it. I will happily pay the premium for an iPhone given the Instinct's failures. My iPod Touch screen had no scratches on it after a year of chucking it in my bad, sticking it in my pocket etc. What's with this company anyway, no WiFi and no desktop sync., and a nasty browser - what a joke! The iPhone knocks the stuffing out of the instinct with its ability to hang out and play chess, solitaire, tetris or mah jong or listen to the radio with the new radio App.

Also, do not forget that the government just said that Bell can go ahead with their usurious text messaging charges.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Data is data be it surfing or downloading a file. its under the unlimited contract.

·
Registered
617 Posts
is this true?

Once you turn on the Samsung Instinct, it’s a different story as many of the features included with the phone are locked until you pay a set of monthly subscription fees. That’s $8 per month extra to your phone bill if you wish to use Windows Live Instant Messenger or e-mail (Hotmail), another $8 per month to unlock the GPS navigation, $8 monthly again for Live TV and again for video clips, and once again for satellite radio. The 226 “free” songs included on the memory card are also locked and cannot be played or used until you sign up for a $15 monthly music store subscription.
http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2008/8/12/3834570.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, it's all true. While it's a cool phone, I was disappointed with all the things you couldn't do with the phone without additional charges. $8/mo to access hotmail?! Pay-per-use GPS?!

Almost every cool feature button you press comes up with a 'You did not subscribe to this service' message. Unless you shell out some serious money, it's just an expensive phone with poor browsing capabilities and limited battery life.

When I called Bell to complain that the phone was misrepresented, I was told that I should have gone with Rogers if I wanted those types of features for free. What do they care now, they have me locked into a contract.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
WOW thats bad news. So this thing is basically a pimped cell phone then.... Not much point to it.. I think they are really screwing you over. That phone is just like the iphone and requires an unlimited data plan..... Hopefully Telus does a better job... But i see they list it under cell phone not smart phone.. :(

I truely think the HTC touch(i love mine) is better value. But the HTC touch diamond will be the instinct killer and really give the iphone a run for its money

·
Registered
48 Posts
Circumvent Bell charges with Opera

I have had the $7 data plan going on three years now. My Bell guru installed Opera Mini (even though I couldn't) through rumkin.com Opera has a very good browser, quick simple intuitive. In three years I have never incurred any data charges above the mandatory $7 per month.

While the Instinct isn't an iPhone I still think it beats the Rogers ripoff plan on the iPhone. Remember when choosing a new phone DON'T!!! Always look at the plan first. Bell's data plan is unbeatable IMHO you just have to know how to get around the service charges same as any other company.

As the Instinct is first generation I will be closely comparing with the HT Touch as it will no doubt be a much better phone than last year's model. Be careful of getting worked over by being an early adopter. I learned my lesson with the iMac. An expensive education while great computers now there were many compromises with the first generation models so be wary of Instinct short falls by comparing directly with HTC's Touch which Bell also carries. The Instinct is a noticeably thinner screen size than the iPhone I picked up on that and have not had time to "play" with either yet.

I'll close by openly admitting I'd love nothing more than an Apple iPhone but it is always the plan the plan THE PLAN. Roger's is an outright rip-off unless they do something MUCH better in a data-plan for Christmas I will stick with Bell thank you very much you can't beat it in Canada. Text messages can be blocked on Bell by typing STOP to the sender. From my limited view of the Instinct thus far I am presently favouring the HTC Touch simply because many bugs will be repaired and hopefully better functionality will be built in.

Opera Mini does not breach your Terms of Use Agreement as far as I know consult your Bell Rep if concerned but I have had no problems and have used it extensively with my ancient Moto e815.

Try not to be an early adopter of anything if you can help it because it can really cost you. Same for any phone smart or otherwise IMO.:rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts