Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samsung Canada has announced that its new Instinct touch-screen smartphone will be arriving in this country later this summer.

The new phone, which bears a strong resemblance to the iPhone and is being aggressively marketed in the U.S. as an iPhone alternative, should be sold in Canada through Telus and Bell Mobility.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The Instinct features a Web browser, text messaging capability, e-mail access via the browser, two mega pixel camera and video camcorder, music playback, GPS navigation, and live TV and radio with streaming capabilities. Unlike the iPhone, the Instinct does not offer WiFi access.

Physically the smartphone is similar in size and weight as the iPhone. The instinct weighs 127 grams (4.5 ounces) and measures 116 x 55 x 12.4 millimeters (4.57 x 2.17 x 0.49 inches) and features a 3.2 inch touch screen display.

No pricing details have been announced, but at a company sponsored golf tournament held last week, representatives from Samsung Canada suggested that the phone will sell for between $149 and $199 on a three-year contract.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Samsung Instinct pricing

The Samsung Instinct will be available for as little as $149.95 on a
three-year contract, $249.95 on a two-year contract or $399.95 on a one-year
contract. Clients can buy the Samsung Instinct without a term contract for
$449.95.
Bell Mobility has now announced the Instinct arrives on August 8th with a $10 unlimited data plan.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Bell Mobility has now announced the Instinct arrives on August 8th with a $10 unlimited data plan.
This an amazing move on Bell's part. Im considering selling my iphone and going with this phone unless rogers smartens up on the data side.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Unlike the iPhone, the Instinct does not offer WiFi access.
This really disappointed me, but is it really important? With an unlimited data plan, I can still access the web via the 3G network as much as I please, correct?

Looks like an awesome phone. CNet addressed some shaky voice quality concerns. I would gladly jump ship from Fido to Bell for this puppy :cool:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I realize it's marketing, but a useful comparison of Instinct vs. iPhone at http://www.instinctthephone.com/

Clever positioning, especially on the fact that Instinct shoots video and appears to have a better GPS location app, no doubt built on the fact that the CDMA towers have GPS antennae for timing and now triangulation.

Samsung has deep pockets and has quickly learned from the Apple user interface and seemingly improved same.

In some circles, this is already being called the iPhone killer...

The pic on Telus' site does not do the product justice at all, way to go Telus. Meanwhile, I saw a peak at Bell's data plan rates today, and they're cleverly going after Rogers goof-up on the iPhone plans.

On the downside, no apparrent wi-fi connectivity and the Instinct is maxed-out with a (small by today's standards) 8GB microSD card.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
No wifi is perhaps a bit inconveniencing on the rare occasion but it is pretty typical of most EVDO equipped phones. Combined with the fact that pretty much all of the EVDO providors are offering unlimited on-device data and the lack of wifi becomes a moot point.

Also, from a battery life perspective, EVDO is far less demanding than WiFi.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Samsung Instinct will be reclassified as a normal phone in Bell's systems, similar to how the HTC Touch was back in November.

Doing so makes it compatible with the Mobile Browser feature currently available to all their normal phones providing unlimited data.

The $10 data plan is Mobile Browser after a price increase on August 8th. The current $7 version will be grandfathered.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The $10 data plan is Mobile Browser after a price increase on August 8th. The current $7 version will be grandfathered.
So what you are saying is that if I am going to get a Touch I should do it before the price increase?

·
Registered
206 Posts
With an unlimited data plan, I can still access the web via the 3G network as much as I please, correct?
Yes, but if you are near a good wifi signal, it will most likely be much faster than Bell or Telus' speeds on EVDO. No wifi is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Are these $7 and $10 "unlimited browsing" prices really what we think they are? I know on my Telus KRZR I get unlimited browsing, but it is not the real internet. It is through the Telus SPARK portal and it is only mobile versions of sites. If I go to a real website, I get charged. Do the browsers in the Instinct and the HTC Touch Diamond display "real" websites, and if so, do these unlimited plans include all websites and data?

appears to have a better GPS location app
That comparison video uses the 1st gen iPhone, correct? Which does not have GPS capabilities and only relies on cell and wifi triangulation. I am pretty sure the 3G iPhone will perform as good as the Instinct in that department.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Will I be able to get the unlimited browsing even with the cheapest voice plan? I have crazy good plan with Rogers but refuse to pay $40 a month for their very limited cap on the iPhone.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
unlimited browsing is available as a feature add on to any voice plan.

Also it is real browsing on real websites, although with my Touch it will use the mobile version if available. There is no extra cost to view "real" webpages.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yes, but if you are near a good wifi signal, it will most likely be much faster than Bell or Telus' speeds on EVDO. No wifi is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
I am sorry but that makes no sense at all. Your real limitation will be the speed of the internet connection AND the congestion on the wifi access point that you would try to use. With all that taken into consideration, it would be near impossible to expect that your wifi (Unless you are at home and have a 10 mbps ISP service) experience will litterally be no faster than EV-DO.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts