Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had HDTV for over a year but never had a decent sound system till now. Hooked up this reciever, and the speakers are sounding great, but i'm a total newb when it comes to receiver technology, and have been having some issues.

When I select the ipod mode, the reciever seems to search between the different devices i have hooked up (Blu-ray, and bell expressvu) and then the receiver just turns itself off. The only way i can get it to recognize the ipod is to turn off all other sources; then it works fine. Do i have a connection wrong? All i have is bluray to receiver (HDMI), expressvu to receiver(HDMI), and then an HDMI out to the TV. There is a dedicated ipod input on the receiver.

Another question; I can't seem to get a picture when i use only HDMI out from my expressvu; i have to hook up the aux. cablers (red, white, yellow etc) cables straight to the tv also. Is this normal? It's been that way since I first got HDTV but i've never worried about it until now. I thought it could all be done with the HDMI? Should i hook aux cables to the receiver first and then to the TV?

Sorry for the lengthy questions, any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve - surround sound and receiver newb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add to the above post, i have an external hardrive as a PVR attached to the expressvu box.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
If you connect the BTV STB (what is the model number?) directly to the TV via HDMI does that work? If you connect the yellow cable, you're only getting SD quality and not HD remove that connection.

What's the make/model of the TV? Some TVs don't accept certain signals via HDMI. Here's the FAQ on HDMI issues and things to check: Turn off any HDMI link options as outlined in item 4 on the AVR and the TV. What is the output setting of the STB? (16:9, 1080i or 720P for example?)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

Here's a post useful for those new to this stuff - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what my expressvu model# is (i'm at work) but when I first got the TV I tried just the HDMI cable and I didn't get sound (if i remember correctly) but when i used the other cables it was fine. The TV is a 46" Sharp Aquos LCD 120hz, bought it last year.

I'll try turning off those HDMI link options. How do I know what the output of my STB is?

Thanks for you help man.

Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 57, I adjusted the setting to shut off the Anynet function and things are working fine now.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts