Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not very knowledge in this area and was hoping someone might help. We is my scenerio:

I have home theater (HTC-6930W) setup downstairs and everything works perfectly. However, when I built my home I had ceiling speakers installed throughout the downstairs e.g. 2 in the patio, 2 in the living area and 2 in the dinner/kitchen areas. What I'd like to do is setup a configuration where I can use the ceiling (pre-installed) speakers for one output say, music, etc... while maintaining audio for the home theater output on the HTC-6930W speakers.

So my question is this: Do I need another A/V Reciever such as HW-C700? I don't believe the HTC-6930 receiver is multi-channel capable. So what hardware should I get?

Thanks in advance and forgive me if I used any incorrect terms. This not my specialty...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey jCart,

Welcome here.

A bit difficult following your post, but I did check out the Samsung receiver you mentioned. I don't see in its specs where it would be suitable for multi-room, multi-source.

There are receivers available for this purpose, and a simple google search of the terms should turn some up for you. One issue is that the speakers that came with your HTIB are 3 ohm impedance - fairly low and really made to work with what came in the package.

However, even if you did upgrade your receiver, I imagine you'd like to use your HTIB control centre as a Blu-Ray player. Typically, these setups are not really designed to pass out audio to an outboard receiver, as they do the decoding and amplification on board.

Way I see it, you have a few choices:
- Keep your HTIB for surround sound, buy a second multi-room receiver for your other rooms. You may still need a switch if you want to control all three rooms independently
- Get a standalone Blu-Ray player, and a new multi-room receiver. Use the HTIB speakers until you decide to buy new ones (assuming the receiver can handle 4 ohm loads). Again, you may need a switch if you want to run the room independently.
- Install new receivers and source equipment in every room (I love gear)

Generally speaking, I'd avoid Samsung receivers if you were out looking for a new receiver. Plenty of good threads in this forum discuss the relative merits of Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer and other brands of AVR. Personally, I checked out the Samsungs, and was not impressed by the power supplies on them. To me, this is a fairly good sign that the quality of build (and hence sound) is not that good.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts