Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Winnipeg and I just went to Visions and they said they could get the new HL-R4664W in a week or two so I preordered it and it should be in soon :D ... The HL-R4664W is suppose to be exactly the same as the HL-R4667W on the www.samsung.com website but just the Canadian version. The HL-R**64W is the 2005 model where HL-P**63W is the 2004 model. That’s why allot of TVs are on huge sales right now because there trying to get rid of all the old models. Don’t know if any differences between the 64 and the 67 I'll post all the info on it once I get it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Let us know what you think. I've got the itch to buy but know I should wait just a little longer for the HLR to show up. I was in BB looking at the dlp models and there was one HLP model that look just amazing while others didn't impress me much - they still looked good though. There was also another brand, I keep forgetting either Panasonic or Toshiba, that looked even better than the HLP. It looked so good, I was tempted to buy it as I couldn't imagine something looking better.

I'm more interested in the 46-50" range and for that it looks like 720p will be just fine for picture quality. The only thing I'm worried about is whether there will be audio lag if i plug the audio to my receiver and the video to the tv.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll let you know once I get it. I'm going to have my own audio cables going straight to my 5.1 system with Optical, and coax. But I'll hook it up going threw the TV and I’ll see if I notice any delay. Remember allot of the TV connections at best buy and future shop are split a whole bunch of ways. In your own home with the right connections it could look allot better. Since Visions let me pre order a HL-R maybe you want to try them and see if you can do the same. Their service plan is allot better. 5 years I think it was $249 CND and if I don’t use the service plan in the 5 years I get the $249 back. In store credit of course but still.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let us know how you make out, as I am Interested in what the new HRL line looks like...Anyboy know if the 64 series is using the HD2+ chip or the HD3..I have heard conlicting reports...

fuz

·
Registered
180 Posts
The 64 series implements an advanced HD3 chip now called HD4:
DLP Chip Operation: 640 x 720 mirrors, each mirror quickly moves to produces 2 pixels displayed on the screen yielding a 1280x720 final resolution; pixels are diamond shaped and slightly overlap, producing a smooth pixel free image

The HD2+DLP Chip Operation: 1280x720 mirrors, each mirror produces 1 pixel displayed on the screen yielding a 1280x720 final resolution; pixels are rectangular shaped and don't overlap, individual pixels are visible on the screen.

The HD2+ chip models will not be available in Canada for Samsung"s 2005 models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Morpheus

Thanks for the update...

Would it be safe to assume that the the HD2+ Chip would still provide a better picture? Or would the HD4 be comparable?

Thanks Fuz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Am I missing something, Morpheus? How can we see for ourselves when Samsung won't be selling ant HD2+ equipped DLPs in Canada this year?!

Also, has anyone compared the 4663 with the 4664 side-by-side? How does the picture quality compare?

·
Registered
21 Posts
HD General Sat vs Digital Cable

Didn't know quite where to put this one...So here it goes...

Is their a signiicant difference between Digital Satalite signals & HD vs a HD cable box...I live in Ottawa & would be using Rogers...I'm leaning toward a dish

TIA Fuz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I first orderd the HL-R4664W the visions guy said 1-2 weeks and as of tomorrow will be 3 weeks. I called him last night he said it should be in any day. He's going to call me once its in. While im at the store i'll take a good look and compare the HL-P4643W and the HL-R4664W if they have both there. Once I get it all set up I'll take a picture :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
blairthiessen,
Looks like the web spec's are confirming the 64 series uses the HD3 chip, not the hoped for HD4. Can you confirm once you get it up and running?

·
Banned
529 Posts
Also,

The HLR "67"models in the US have the built in ATSC HD tuner as well as cablecard, the "64" canadian model does not.

Crispy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I can’t believe it’s not in yet I’m getting rather impatient. The guy I bought it from at visions said it should be in any day now. I couldn't wait I went out and bought a Shaw HD box (DCT6200) and a HD up-converter DVD player (Samsung DVD-HD950) DVD player not in yet might be longer then TV but I have my Xbox and my Shaw box all ready for the TV. My speaker system is the Logitech z-680's there pretty nice. Once I get it all set up I can take some pictures of TV and setup and tell you what I think. On the Samsung website it dose say it uses the HD3 chip but I think its like morpheus said
The 64 series implements an advanced HD3 chip now called HD4
I think maybe the name HD4 isn’t final so they put HD3 maybe it’s just a Normal HD3
For the HD cable box I'm going to be using DVI and standard left-right audio cables. Xbox will be using Component cables, and the DVD player will use HDMI. DVD player going to my speaker system with optical cable and HD cable box Coax cable. Should all be pretty good! Once TV in There will be another big post.

·
Registered
346 Posts
HD4 is just a made up name by the videophiles. It's the lastest chip out though unless Canada gets screwed somehow.

I think a lot of us are waiting on your review heh heh. The set for me will be only DVD and xbox/xbox 360 as I don't have cable/satellite so the possible audio issues are something I'll probably have to confirm with my equipment somehow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah I just bought the 4663 model for clearance cheap prices around $2000... I still have about 23 days left to return/exchange. So I'm anxious to hear any improvements on the new model mainly with the audio sync issue. I would guess faster processing and faster speeds of the mirrors would help this issue...but I'm not sure exactly how much they put into the new models...if it's worth an extra $500+ to upgrade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HD4 is just a made up name by the videophiles. It's the lastest chip out though unless Canada gets screwed somehow.

If memory serves me correctly T.I is calling the HD4 Chip the 720P...But like I said, from the looks of the specs their have been some big changes

fuz

1 - 20 of 53 Posts