Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Galaxy S "Vibrant" coming to Canada

So, today's news is that the Galaxy S will be arriving in Canada this summer under the name "Vibrant". This permutation of the handset is set to be identical the T-mobile offering in the United States... which is identical to the specs and news/reviews of the model that is circulating in Europe right now.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
A version of the Galaxy S will likely appear on several carriers, including any of the new entrants. Particularly for Shaw and Videotron who will need high-powered, big-name smartphones which they can potentially afford to subsidize with contracts.

The EVO 4G will likely be Sprint only; no other carrier seems to be going the WiMax route and HTC makes so many models they'll have an EVO killer ready before they could finish an HSPA EVO. If they really wanted to sell on another carrier though (assuming Sprint doesn't have exclusivity) they could launch on Verizon at 3G with no device modification required.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which frequencies does the EVO use? Would it work with bell/telus?
What would its roaming capability be in asia?

What features (like GPS) would not work if I don't get a data plan?

Sorry for the amateur questions :p

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It will not work on Telus or Bell at all as they don't activate non-carrier supplied CDMA handsets on their network.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just played with it at The Source (formerly Radio Shack) and it was for Bell, w/ a micro-sim card. Awesome phone!!!

I'm stuck w/ Telus due to my stupidity of signing a 3-year contract. I wish I they could offer it for Telus. I'd buy it outright either way.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm not sure if people have been able to get the Bell version of this phone unlocked.

Furthermore, AFAIK, Bell isn't selling it to non-Bell subscribers yet due to high demand for the phone.

·
Banned
328 Posts
If you are on TELUS, get the HTC Desire, it is an amazing phone and prefer the the HTC Sense UI much more than the Samsung TouchWiz UI.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts