Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Almost a guarantee we won't see the HTC EVO 4G since there is no network up here that would support it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost a guarantee we won't see the HTC EVO 4G since there is no network up here that would support it.
Really? I thought Bell supported 4G? I never owned a cellphone before and I am thinking of getting one...I'm not very knowledgeable though.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The EVO 4G is using a technology called "WiMax" which is different from LTE (which I believe is the long-term goal of Rogers/Telus/Bell).

HSPA is considered 3G (technically 3.5G, but the whole rating scheme is not entirely accurate to begin with).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think we will get the Samsung Galaxy S?...If not then I guess I will have to see what the new Iphone has to offer.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
If we do, I'm guessing it will be Telus that gets that handset instead of Bell. For some reason, Bell hasn't really jumped on the Android bandwagon much at all, and I haven't heard news stating this is changing anytime soon.

Anything can happen, but right now it's hard to say what devices each carrier is likely to get. Even Rogers has been silent on the Android front lately - which is surprising, since they were the first with an Android device. Granted, after the fiasco with the 911 issues with (I think) the HTC Magic, perhaps it's something they are going to research and test out just a little more thoroughly first.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Which do you think is the better phone?...will we see either of these phones in Canada?
Given that it'll be a long time before Canada will offer 4G or anything like it, the Samsung is probably better compared to the HTC Nexus One or Desire. On paper anyway, the Samsung beats these with faster HSUPA (5.8Mb/s v 2), higher res video, and especially its Super AMOLED display. But, that's on paper, and there's been no real review of the Galaxy S yet (... except the previews which rank the display much better than anything else on the market). The Samsung looks to be released about the same time as the iPhone HD, both of which I'm waiting for to read real reviews, as well to know how they'll be marketed.

As to when we'll see the Samsung in Canada ... your guess is as good as mine, but I'm not holding my breath ... I'll be hoping to find one unlocked ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Samsung looks to be released about the same time as the iPhone HD, both of which I'm waiting for to read real reviews, as well to know how they'll be marketed.
Same here,that Super Amoled screen does look awesome though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The HTC Evo does have cdma/evdo as well
I don't understand the attraction to this PDA(?), especially to Canadians. Is has nothing over other HTCs 'cept a higher res camera, but I'm not convinced 8Mp over 5Mp (... even 3Mp) is anything other than false resolution (... ie, more pixels, but no increase of detail or signal/noise). If you still want HTC + 8Mp, hope for the Incredible.

cheerios from The Edge :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
That would technically just make it the "HTC Evo" right? I'd rather see an HSPA+ Android 2.1 handset than an Evo 4G with no 4G
Thats right.. but 4G network in the US is pretty limited anyway.. and not like the speeds are faster than HSPA+. True though, i'd rather see an HSPA version of this phone. I'm sure there's one in the works.. I wouldnt think HTC is going to be a crazy android phone like this only for use with 1 carrier.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't understand the attraction to this PDA(?), especially to Canadians. Is has nothing over other HTCs 'cept a higher res camera, but I'm not convinced 8Mp over 5Mp (... even 3Mp) is anything other than false resolution (... ie, more pixels, but no increase of detail or signal/noise). If you still want HTC + 8Mp, hope for the Incredible.

cheerios from The Edge :)
It's the first/only Android phone with crazy 4.3" screen, 1ghz, etc etc.. For most i've talked to its not the camera that creates the attraction to the phone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's the first/only Android phone with crazy 4.3" screen, 1ghz, etc etc.. For most i've talked to its not the camera that creates the attraction to the phone.
You didn't do the comparison, or I still don't get it. Either you're hot over an extra quarter inch, or there's something else I'm missing ... you haven't mentioned anything unique yet.

Regarding displays, I'd also be careful of HTC claims for 24bit color. See this comparison with the Motorala Droid at Displaymate.com.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
A 4.3" display would make it the largest on any Android device, but it also means the phone will be rather large. I have seen the HD2 in person and thought that was pushing the limit of how big a phone should be (and that only has a 4-inch display).

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
i agree with you BGY i have a samsung omnia 2 and its 3.7" screen is right on teh edge for how big i would want a phone. ive seen teh hd2 and its a monster. i think you might be able to push it to 2.8 but 4" is just huge.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Same phone as me. It's surprising how much a 0.3" increase really is when talking about handheld devices.

I can't wait to see reviews of the Galaxy - hopefully it's comparable to the current crop of HTC devices.

·
Registered
58 Posts
rarewolf said:
You didn't do the comparison, or I still don't get it. Either you're hot over an extra quarter inch, or there's something else I'm missing ... you haven't mentioned anything unique yet.
The EVO also sports an HDMI port. I think it'd be pretty cool to load up the latest movies to take to the cottage, friends' houses, etc., and just plug it into their TVs to play HD movies.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The EVO also sports an HDMI port. I think it'd be pretty cool to load up the latest movies to take to the cottage, friends' houses, etc., and just plug it into their TVs to play HD movies.
That is cool but the Galaxy S supports DLNA if you have a Samsung tv you can stream your Video's from your Galaxy S to your LCD/Plasma ....you can also use your Galaxy S as a remote.

HDMI is still handy to have though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts