Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Samsung Galaxy Note II

11K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  talljak 
#1 ·
This "phablet" (I hate the term, personally, but it is what it is) is getting awesome reviews. Honestly, I have no issues with its size because I'll never use it to make phone calls, so I'll never have to hold it up to my ear.
This one device is seriously tempting me to move to Android, and ditching my iPhone 4S and iPad3.

#2 ·
I am also waiting for it to come out. My carrier releases it Oct 30th.
I have read nothing but good reviews.
I have a berry right now and after 6 years of service its time to upgrade to a much bigger and nicer screen.
I have giant hands and the size of it does not concern me at all.
Really looking forward to picking one up.
Sadly my carrier will only have the 16 and 32GB versions (at this time) and not the 64. With the option of having up to a 64gb micro sd card I was looking forward to having a 128gb phone.

1st one to pick one up share your thoughts.

#3 ·
As the owner of an original Galaxy Note, I feel that the "II" will finally be the one Android device that will finally convert large numbers of owners to finally consider a different OS. Not only are the hardware specs amazing, the Note II's well thought out software is finally mature enough to be a deal breaker. You can do so many (cool) useful things with this device that you can't with other offerings.

I also do not use the term "phablet". I prefer to explain to the curious, "this is a portable mini-computer and muti-media device that also just happens to be able to make phone calls". I've given up calling it a PDA, as that just increases the number of blank looks. :)

Things get even better if you flash a custom ROM. Hehe. :D

#5 ·
I can't justify the cost moving up from the original to the II just yet, although it is a device I covet - a lot! Since I've flashed a custom ROM, I am so much happier than I was with the stock device, and I should be able to hang on for at least another year with what I have. It is still a capable and very 'zippy' device in its new guise.

#7 ·
{snipped} That would be very interesting for some folks to give up an iPhone + iPad for one of these.
That's precisely what I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to do. I bought her an original iPad from the US, when it was first released. She loved the fact that she had something not too many others had. It still works fine, but I've given her my iPad 2, now that I have a Note. She had an original iPhone as well, and faithfully upgraded to the 4 when it became available. She loves iDevices, but now that "every kid at the mall has one", it's no longer a unique item. She's really liking what my Note does, but I felt it would be to big for her, so encouraged her to consider an iPhone 5, in case she had remorse about switching to Android. She told me last night, that the pilots she works with all have Notes, and even they told her to get the Note II. She doesn't want to carry an iPhone and an iPad when traveling for work, when the Note II can be an acceptable replacement for both. So she's likely going to jump ship when it's available. Her quote, "I'm so tired of Apple! The Note II is so cool."

I can hardly hide my excitement. :D

#9 ·
I too have the original Galaxy Note and I love it. Mine is only a few months old, so I won't upgrade it - maybe the Note 3 when they do the next one.

For me, the Note is the "sweet spot." Small enough to slip into my pocket, but big enough to comfortably read web sites, news and ebooks.

My 5.3" Note replaced my old 3.5" iPhone 3G and my old 7" Android tablet with one device.

Now, I can't imagine a carrying a smaller device.

#10 ·
For me, the Note is the "sweet spot." Small enough to slip into my pocket, but big enough to comfortably read web sites, news and ebooks.
Thats exactly how I feel as well. I went from an LG iQ to the Note.... a huge step up in both size and function. At first I was thinking I wouldnt and couldnt get used to it, but that lasted only a couple days. I would love to pick up a Note2 to replace it but I too think I will hold off till the 3 comes out or at least till I see what 4.1 brings to the Note in December. I love the form factor of this series and don't think I could go back to a smaller phone now!:D

#11 ·
This is the phone I am thinking of getting - kind of.

Can't see anything but 16Gb models on Rogers. However, I am finding that having a 32Gb SG3 with a 32Gb microSD card is overkill. Unless you have a specific need, I would suggest saving your $$ and getting the 16Gb Note II and then get a microSD card of whatever size you need for your uses.

#12 ·
Just remember, that you can only put pictures, music, documents etc on the microSD. Apps, games, emails, etc can only go on the built in storage. So if you are a huge power user 16 may seem a bit small after a while.
But for normal use a 16gb internal + a 32 or 64gb microSD will meet all your needs and then some.

I am going to pick up one today. I will report back on what I think about it.

#14 ·
Got mine yesterday. Played with it all night. The screen is awesome, and the S Pen stylus apps work well.
I am already used to the size and weight of it, and after this I can't go back to a smaller screen. As I said in my OP, this one device has replaced my iPad3 (sold when the iPad4 came out), and my iPhone4S.

#17 ·
Well I am now the proud owner of a Note II
I am coming off of a blackberry pearl so there is a lot of things that I need to get used to. Its like I have been living in the dark ages phone wise the last 6 years.
While the phone is twice the size of my old one I have no complaints about its size. I have large hands and it fits nicely in my hand. I also have no problem fitting it in my pocket.

I got the 16gb version from Telus, I added a 32gb microsd.

The phone is super fast. It effortlessly goes to media rich websites, apps and games. Even with 50 programs running I still have half of the 2 gigs of ram available.

The 4G LTE speeds are mind blowing. I did a speed test (at speedtest.net) and got 45613kbps down and 23520kpbs up.
Thats 7 times faster then my speed at home using wifi. At those speeds I would go through my 1gb limit very quickly.
Thankfully the phone has a data usage monitor and have set my limit to a 1000mb.

When people say there is an app for that there really is an app for that. Few things I wanted the phone to do, but it didnt do out of the box a couple apps fixed that.

The note 2 is really like a small tablet. I am enjoying it very much. The S-pen is also an amazing piece of tech. I use it all the time now.

My only tiny issue right now is I need to really baby it. The phone is so new there are no cases out for it yet, but that will be solved in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Still lots to learn but so far I give the phone a 8.5 out of 10

#18 ·
I just picked up a Note 2 on Monday in Edmonton for Rogers. A friend and I lucked out and got the only two they had in stock. (for all of 20 minutes apparently)

After years of iPhones I went to a Galaxy 3 in July and loved the phone. Really wanted the stylus though and the pictures and specs of the Note 2 got my attention. Personally I don't find it to be that big. If you're comparing it to iPhone, sure, it's big but coming from a Galaxy 3 it seems more like just a slightly bigger G3.

Verdict on the Note 2 so far... BEST. PHONE. EVER. I am absolutely blown away by this device. My friend who picked up the other unit is equally pleased. Android Jelly Bean rocks along with Google Now and the stylus is working like a charm when I need it. Battery life seems to be really great as well. I pulled the 32GB SDcard out of my G3 (has all my pics and tunes) and just popped it into the Note. Wife is now going to inherit my 3 month old GS3 to replace her iPhone 4.

I've ordered a case already from Amazon that got really good reviews and is only around $15 including the shipping to Canada so hoping to see that next week with any luck. I see ProClip already has powered car cradles for the Note 2 but only with no case installed. Hoping the case I ordered is minimal enough to still fit in the cradle.

I can't seem to get the link to work in this reply but here is the Amazon description for the case if you want to search it:

"[SF Matte Black] Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Ringke SLIM Soft Feeling Premium Hard Case AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and Unlocked - Eco Package"

Still waffling on whether or not this phone will be on my belt or in pocket (I prefer belt holster) but we'll see. Anyhoo, anyone on the fence about this phone, don't be. This one's a game changer for sure. Cheers!

James

#20 ·
Ive been watching videos on it and it looks very nice. Great colour. No lag or pixelation. Built in sound is a touch weak, but its not bad for such a small built in speaker.
Great thing for me with MX player it suports subtitles. :)

#23 ·
I gots the Note I, and I rarely use it held to my head preffering speakerphone for outgoing. I was sold on this last Feb as I sync my phone to all of my HTPCs TV recordings from the previous evening every morning and after 3yrs of Samsung Vice (2.25" screen) this was a great upgrade.
When held to the head it performs fine with no difficulty hearing in noisey environments. But get the flip cover to keep your greasey face off the screen.

#24 ·
Power User Report

Having used the Note1 for a few months now and being somewhat of a power user, I thought I would relate my story to assist those sitting on the fence.

First, being somewhat of a techie, I have been buying and experimenting with pretty well every significant device and operating system since the first Treo was released by Rogers in 1997. In fact, it is because of the Treo that I moved from 11 years with Bell over to Rogers. Anyway, I digress.

At any given time I will have 7 or eight devices on the go and switch between the top 2 or 3 as my mood or situation strikes me. Currently I am playing with a Blackberry 9900, Galaxy Note 1, iPhone 4s and an iPad 3. Unfortunately, the Blackberry is mandated by work and having just joined this company a year ago, I had such a difficult time re-adjusting back to using a berry....and still do. My previous employer allowed me to use whatever I wanted and I took full advantage of that.

Originally, for years I was a hardened Windows CE/Mobile user as I found this best met my needs as a business used. That is until MS broke the tethered sync with Outlook. Game over.

Anyway, my first experience with Android was with the original Galaxy S. At first it was a little quirky but a few software updates later, it started to feel pretty good. I also had an iPhone 3s at this time and would flip back and forth. Then I added a 7" Galaxy Tab to my stable and low and behold I found that I could start leaving my laptop at home on most short business trips.

Then, when the Note was first released I had to try it and shortly after sold my Tab. It was super fast, more pocketable and still very readable.

Then in a moment of weakness, I walked into an Apple store and walked out with a new iPhone 4s and an iPad 3. At this point perhaps I should explain that, unlike a lot of people, I really like using iTunes to manage my media. And after 3-4 years of bouncing between Windows, Blackberry, Android and Apple I will say that that is the only reason I keep coming back to Apple at this point. Plus I have many accessory devices like the awesome Altec Lansing Retro Boombox that are made for Apple products.

Now to the nitty gritty. Because I am forced to use Blackberry for business, I find that my Note is a perfect companion. First off, I travel extensively so my first order of business was to get the car dock. Perfect. I use CoPilot as my Nav program of choice and still have Google Maps, Search, Navigation and Voice Talk, which in my opinion is better than Siri. I have the 16 GB model with a 32 GB SD card loaded up with music, movies and most importantly, all of my business literature (brochures, catalogues, reference lists, technical bulletins, presentations and copies of quotes). I also have the home dock and HDMI cable to push presentations to a big screen when necessary.

And this is just the beginning. Add all of my personal requirements like personal email, social media, news, reading, surfing, camera, etc, etc, well you get the idea. Yes, the iPhone/iPad will do these things too but in my estimation when used with Windows PC's, it is not nearly as user friendly in keeping all my business files update to my device and you pretty much need to carry both phone and tablet to compete with the Note (personal opinion of course).

Where does that put me now that the Note II has been released? I will give it a few weeks until they are readily available in my area and then I plan on buying one (no contract). Reasons: Quad processor, more RAM, more memory. At that point I will then sell my Note 1, iPhone 4s and iPad 3 and possibly just buy a used iPod to do my music thing.

Oh ya, and unfortunately I will still have that darn Blackberry. Luckily, I only have to make/take phone calls and bang out the odd short email!

#25 ·
The Galaxy Note II is very tempting - but it sounds like higher resolution screens will be available in the 5" to 6" phablet format in the near future.

1280x800 resolution is nice - that is what I have on my Galaxy S III, and also on my Fujitsu P770 12" laptop. However, looking at some of the higher resolution displays makes you realize that even though you really can't see the pixels, the images are nicer with finer detail and nicer tonality. I am considering a replacement for the laptop, and finding that laptops in the 12" to 14" are starting to show up with 1600x900 resolution, which will be even nicer...

Getting a 1920x1080 resolution in the Galaxy Note III (for example, NOT based on a rumour) is tempting. Overkill, maybe, but tempting for more than just bragging rights.

A positive side effect is that it would also demand an upgrade to the processor and graphics subsystem.

I have to wonder if waiting for two or three months to see which way the industry is going is not a good idea.

#26 · (Edited)
Battery life update

I am very impressed with the battery on the Note II
I have been running on battery now for 1 day 11 hours & 15 minutes and have 7% left.
Since I took it off the charger I have sent 100s of texts, multiple emails, played a few games, watched a movie on netflix, took photos with flash, downloaded some apps, browsed a significant amount of websites and had a few phone calls. I also had Ebuddy messenger running the entire time.

So basicly with that type of use you get two full days of power.

My Note II settings durring this run (my daily settings)
GPS, WIFI, Bluetooth ON
Display auto brightness
Power Saving ON (CPU power saving all others turned off)
Screen timeout 1 minute (Smart stay on)
Sounds, Vibrations and Haptic feedback ON

I am quite impressed.
I think if I turned off GPS and Bluetooth when I did not need it I would of stretch the battery life a bit further.

Update: I find it amazing how quickly it charges from under 10% to 100%. Its back to full power in just a little bit over an hour.
My old blackberry used to take 4 times as long to fully charge

#28 ·
Nope.. No upgrade here in Manitoba yet.. I have a Roger's Note II and I just used the software update utility on the phone and after checking with the server, it tells me that I have the 'latest updates installed'.

I do love the phone. I've had mine a week.. It was one of those impulse things. I had a perfectly good Blackberry Torch. There was no practical reason to get one, but that big screen kept calling me :)

The screen is really worth it... When turned sideways, I can browse most web pages and read the text without having to doing any 'enlarge pinching'. Even my mail is more pleasant to read with the larger text.

Despite seeing the odd mention in some of the online reviews, I don't find it that hard to hold. I had my first long phone call (57 minutes) this morning and towards the end I realized the size wasn't going to be a problem. It was comfortable to hold the whole time.

The only complaint I have about the ergonomics is that it's so darn thin... Thin is nice for fitting in a pocket, but I find it makes it a little difficult to get a real good grip on the thin slippery sides. When I first pick it up, I always have to juggle the phone a bit in my hand to get a comfortable hold on it. (I have a gel cover on order and that should help a lot).

#30 ·
(I have a gel cover on order and that should help a lot).
The day I got my Galaxy S III, we stopped at a cart in the mall (Brampton Shopper's World) and got a gel case. Much better for keeping a grip, and gives a bit of protection for those of us with terminal dropsies.... ;)

Very cheap protection.

Plus, it allows you to select a colour the phone does not have, so you have a totally unique device! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.