Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally official.

HSPA+ or 4G LTE, depending on region
1.2GHz dualcore processor
4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED display
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
5mp autofocus camera with LED flash, autofocus, no shutter lag and fast shot2shot
1080p HD playback and recording at 30 FPS
Bluetooth 3.0
USB 2.0
WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n
NFC chip
Accelerometer, compass, gyro, light and proximity sensors, barometer
1GB of RAM
16GB or 32GB internal storage
135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94 mm, 135 grams
1,750 mAh li-ion battery
Source

Interestingly, this phone has pentaband HSPA+, which means it will work with both incumbent and new carriers. It will likely be available in Canada early next year. No word on carrier partners yet.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm almost sold right now. I've been wanting to switch to Mobilicity for a while, but wanted a phone that would at least be comparable to my Galaxy S II. I kept telling myself that if the Galaxy Nexus was compatible with AWS frequencies then I'd buy it and switch, but was quite surprised when they mentioned it was a pentaband phone (so if Mobilicity doesn't work I can still use it on one of the "big 3" carriers.

About the only thing that's holding me back is the camera. I really want to see how it compares to my S II, since I don't want to downgrade too much. I know the megapixel count is lower, but we all know megapixels aren't everything. I know that I could always get a point-and-shoot camera to complement my phone, but it's just so convenient carrying one device even if I do have to sacrifice a little quality to do so.

One other thing I would really like to see (though I'm doubtful about it) is if the Galaxy Nexus uses the Wolfson Micro WM8994 audio chipset. This was used in the original Galaxy S smartphone, and when tweaked using Voodoo Sound, it offered excellent audio quality. The Galaxy S II went to a Yamaha-based solution which isn't nearly as good.

Overall, I can't wait to see the reviews on this phone, and if I do get it I'll be more than happy to share my viewpoints on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to get it to replace my increasingly dated Nexus One. The only thing that I still need to see is the battery life; it has to be comparable at least.

I'm glad to see a return of the docking connector, I really love the dock on my Nexus One and I'd hate to give that up.

It's unfortunate that it's only coming to Verizon in the US for now. That means that until the HSPA version comes to Canada (or the US), Canadians will have to import it from Europe or Asia. That usually carries a steep premium. Hopefully it'll land here soon.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I wonder if that 4.65" screen is the same size phone as today's 4.3" phones. And the extra display is where the permanent buttons have been replaced? I have a 4.3" HTC Desire HD and the overall size of the phone is fine for me.

Galaxy Nexus - 135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94mm
HTC DHD - 123 x 68 x 11.8 mm

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
TorontoColin, so technically there is nothing technically that prevent Wind and Mobilicity from offering it. Do you think there is any non-technical reason why they might not carry it?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Volume. This phone is going to be pricey. I don't know if Wind or Mobilicity can sell enough units, especially with limited subsidy options, in order to place an order Samsung will fill.

It's really the same reason they haven't carried most other high-end AWS smartphones.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks that makes sense.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Volume. This phone is going to be pricey. I don't know if Wind or Mobilicity can sell enough units, especially with limited subsidy options, in order to place an order Samsung will fill.

It's really the same reason they haven't carried most other high-end AWS smartphones.
Both WIND and Mobilicity do carry the Nexus S. So there is hope for the Galaxy Nexus.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both WIND and Mobilicity do carry the Nexus S. So there is hope for the Samsung Nexus.
But it took them two and a half months, by which time hardware costs had probably dropped. Not only that, but they're both still holding stock on the Nexus S, which will make it even harder to invest in Galaxy Nexus inventory.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Wow - Pricey phone! They have released prices for Denmark, Finland, Sweden, UK, etc., and while these are usually higher than North America, the converted prices put it anywhere from $815 to $898.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My guess is that Wind would have a better chance than Mobilicity of meeting the minimums simply because they have a bigger user base and are signing up more users.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wow - Pricey phone! They have released prices for Denmark, Finland, Sweden, UK, etc., and while these are usually higher than North America, the converted prices put it anywhere from $815 to $898.
Actually in the UK the price is $690 (in Canadian dollars) before taxes. The same vendor also sells the Nexus S for $560.

Seeing as the Nexus S launched in Canada for around $500, I'm guessing the Galaxy Nexus will be around $600 here.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ideally Wind, Mobilicity, and Videotron would split an order, but I doubt they would all be capable of and willing to do that.

Remember, there are two versions of this phone (16 and 32GB). One will be pricier than the other. I expect to see $550-600 for the 16GB, unless it is being intentionally marked up by carriers.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Where did you see the $690 equivalent price? Everywhere that I have seen lists it at 514 British Pounds, which is over $800 CAD.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Actually in the UK the price is $690 (in Canadian dollars) before taxes. The same vendor also sells the Nexus S for $560.

Seeing as the Nexus S launched in Canada for around $500, I'm guessing the Galaxy Nexus will be around $600 here.
It seems we are taking a step back when it comes to prices of phones..... back in the late 80s and early 90s when mobile phones first came out, only the rich could get them, and now the prices are creeping up to 1k

1 - 20 of 68 Posts