Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new phone, and I am considering getting the Galaxy, given the good reviews it has received. The one thing I'm wondering is how good it is at playing music? I use my former iPhone (lost it) as much for listening to music as as do for internet and phone. I would appreciate current user's experience/recommendations.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I presume you mean the Galaxy S (Vibrant).

About the only drawback is the lack of gapless playback support. This is one area that Apple has pretty much nailed down, and I'm surprised Android developers haven't figured out yet. Yes, there are two apps in the Market that claim they support gapless playback (Museek & Lithium), but Museek kept crashing while reading tags off some of my files, and Lithium's gapless mode never worked on my unit.

Otherwise, I have no problems recommending the Galaxy S for music. The audio chipset is excellent, and even the built-in media player works well. A lot of people seem to really like MixZing as well, so you do have options if the stock player doesn't meet your needs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
MortPlayer Beta Free is the BEST music player for Android, IMO.

I listen to a lot of music during the day, and needed a quality media player that would simply allow me to play everything in my MUSIC folder, and not include things like ringtones, etc... There "is" a way to exclude these by putting a ".nomedia" file in each directory that contains things you don't want to play, but why bother?

MortPlayer will just allow you to play EVERYTHING in your MUSIC folder. As far as GAPLESS support goes, I would have to say that this DOES support gapless playback because as soon as one track is done, the next plays - I have a couple of albums on my Galaxy S that have a couple of gapless songs, and it just "works".

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I don't know if the Mixzing player works on the Galaxy but I assume it does.

It allows you to specify which folders contain music. I can't comment on the gapless function since I have never really paid attention to that.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
can3gxw: Good to know regarding Mortplayer. I'm going to install that once I get my Galaxy back today and see how it works. :)

As for MixZing, it doesn't support gapless playback - there's about a second or so pause between tracks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I tried MixZing as well - pretty nice UI, but the whole "play all music on the device no matter where it is" made me say "no thanks"....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Gapless playback of MP3s didn't work with Mortplayer on my phone, although I do like the fact you can use folder navigation instead of tag-based (working on fixing all that, but it's going to take a while). The nice big navigation buttons when you set it to Car mode is another cool feature.

The main program I'm using now though is Cubed (it's a superscript 3, but if you search for "Cubed" there is a newer version that should come up. Seems to work fairly well, and the 3D interface is quite neat if you have album art for your music.

(As for the gapless thing I'm so picky about, I do realize the MP3 format wasn't really designed with gapless playback in mind, but it's still annoying when the iPod & Zune support it. OGG files will play gapless, but I don't want to re-encode my music to that format).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts