Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is answered somewhere else. Did a search for 'DLP' in this forum and didn't find what I was looking for.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP (HLR6167W) that's just about 6 years old. The other day I noticed a dark "shadow" about 1/2 an inch wide running down the left side of the screen. Towards the bottom it becomes narrower and disappears almost completely. It's not entirely black, the picture is just darker in that area. It's even (barely) noticeable when watching SD; it's still slightly darker than the rest of the "pillar" area.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Lamp getting ready to go? Needs some kind of recalibration?

In the past several months, I've also had three bouts of the TV shutting off by itself. It'll happen maybe twice within the first 30 minutes after turning it on in the evening and then not again for weeks. Don't know if this is related.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
56,634 Posts
Sounds like something has shifted to block that area - lamp, mirror, entire TV skewed from moving, etc. This would usually also make the rest of the image (slightly) less sharp. If you push on the top right or top left of the TV screen you can usually skew/tilt the TV to see if that's the problem. I've moved your post to the appropriate forum since it's not a flat panel.

Your TV could be overheating - have you looked at the fan/lamp area? Is it dusty?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, sorry about the misplaced post.

Actually, we did move it recently for the first time in a few years to pull up the carpet in that part of the room. Maybe something got knocked out of place inside. If that's the case, I assume that's not something I can fix myself.

Is it dusty? Probably...we have three cats :) I'll check that out.

Thanks for the advice 57!

·
Super Moderator
56,634 Posts
These DLPs were quite "flexible" if I recall when I optimized them years ago (haven't done one in a couple of years). As mentioned previously, if you push from the front against the top right or top left corners a bit, twisting the TV, and this solves the issue since the TV is not completely flat, then you can put a spacer under the appropriate corner to fix the "out of level" issue.

I assume that's not something I can fix myself.
I cannot comment since I don't know how mechanically adept you are. ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I meant "something that one can fix oneself" without calling a professional. I'm fair to middling mechanically; I think I can manage to get a shim under the TV if that resolves the problem.

(Flash cut to "Man Crushed by TV in Home" headline in the paper.) :p

Thanks again 57.

·
Super Moderator
56,634 Posts
My comment regarding abilities was about looking inside the TV for loose main mirrors, fans, light engines, etc. I assumed you could shim, but then again that crushed (man, woman or child) headline does loom large. ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've had he same issue with my 61 inch Samsung DLP. The problem is that the mirror in the light tunnel has collapsed. It was a known issue that the glue Samsung used to hold the mirrors in place inside the tunnel wore out over time . As the mirror moves out of place more the shadow will get wider across your screen. I have gone through 3 light tunnels myself. Thank goodness I bought an extended warranty for my DLP. You have to get a Samsung tech to inspect the tunnel and see if he can realign the mirrors with new glue or replace the entire light tunnel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the info fuzzy32. I just hope I have better luck with Samsung support than others have reported. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting...I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts