Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom purchased a Samsung Corby Plus pay as you go phone through Rogers recently. She is wanting to us a MP3 song as her ringtone. I try to select it as a ringtone but it won't let me. the only thing I can think of is that the file is too big for it to work properly. Anyone know how to get it to work properly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Samsung phones have DRM protection which means you can't use your own mp3 files as ringtones. Has to do with copyright infringement. I bought a samsung phone through rogers without knowing this, tried to install ringtones on it and it won't let me. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Actually it has to do with Rogers using the DRM features to restrict all sorts of phones (Samsung, one of many) so that you have to buy ringtones. Some phones are easy to rebrand (load generic instead of operator specific firmware) and get around the DRM restriction on ringtones.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Had this problem on a Fido Motorola. Would not let me select mp3's as ringtones. Yes, it is a restriction Rogers puts in place to generate ringtone sales. They actually told me that a ringtone is a "public performance of a copyrighted work" and as such you have to buy a ringtone licensed for such use. I did some research and found two solutions: 1. Modify the phone's firmware to ignore this restriction or 2. Modify the ringtone to make it look like an "approved" ringtone. I didn't want to void my phone's warranty so I chose solution 2. Try a program called "Super". It is a video/audio converter that worked for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
don't know if your still looking for an answer for this but i have this phone and i use ventones.com. you take your song, cut it the way you want for your tone. and it sends it to you in the form of a text message then you save it . it's very easy to use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts