Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sad, but the ONLY way you can guarantee that you will be able to ensure that your content is playable by yourself in the future, is to remove the DRM.

Sadly the Conservative Government wants to make this illegal (although it has not made it such yet)

I can recommend DVDFAB HD Decrypter as an option to backup your BluRay discs so some future firmware update to your player will not stop you from viewing your movie.

·
Registered
826 Posts
As annoying as continuous Blu-ray player updates are, you need them to play the latest blockbusters. But, BD DRM is already so complex that one company or another screws up the firmware updates. I wonder if there will be a time when there are too many canceled keys and DRM variations for any manufacturer to reliably program their firmware? Will they give up and quietly remove all DRM checks so they never have to inconvenience their customers or themselves?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Will they give up and quietly remove all DRM checks so they never have to inconvenience their customers or themselves?
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that won't work.

IIRC, the way DRM works on BluRay is that it is embedded in the data and you need the DRM key to actually decode the data so you can't just turn it off and play the movie.

·
Registered
48 Posts
disable bd-live and it might play

I ran into this problem. The player hangs as it tries to download new previews. I went into the player menu and disabled bd-live and the movie started.

I'll enable it after I hear a new update is available. Although new previews can be interesting to watch (especially when a disc becomes 3 or 4 years old), it's a pain at the best of times when you have to wait ages because of a slow internet connection.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not a large volume blu-ray viewer, by that I mean I rent probably 2-3 new movies per month. I have a BDP-1500 and back when I bought it there were all kinds of warnings about having to upgrade the firmware in order to play new movies, and said firmware updates interfering with viewing other movies.

I can honestly say I have never touched the firmware that the player unpacked with, and I have never found a movie that it couldn't play. Am I just lucky?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I look forward to the day when I buy a BluRay disc and it doesn't work.

I'm going to call the studio and demand a refund, and take them to small claims court if they don't oblige.

I have loads of free time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was just on the another Forum for the Samsung BD P1600 and it appears that the USA has a Firmware update 2.1202 which was released yesterday down there.

The thread pretty much concluded that 2.09 (in USA) has been the cause of all the problems. As they have both Pandora and Netflix to concern themselves with on updates, I doubt that theirs would work for Canadian machines. Anybody have any idea when an update is scheduled for Canada?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well looky there. I just turned my BD-P1600 on while I was reading this thread and there's an update. My current version is BEv2.09_100519_XAC and the new version is BEv12_100825_XAC. The update installed successfully. So far, so good.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just bought the Imax "Blue Planet" and "The Dream Is Alive" Blu-Ray which is a Warner Brothers disc, popped it in last night and it was all good to go. Now I'll have to finish watching the movie to see how she looks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
samsung bd 1600

After speaking with Netflix and then refered to samsung.. I was told by samsung that although other models presently have Netflix updates, the 1600 is to have a update around the end of October... no specific date specified... and the month almost over. (10 Days Left)

( Regardless of situation Dumped BD 1600 at a local used electronics shop )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts