Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, hope someone can shed some light on this one...
Pletty of forums online talk about the p1600 being capable of streaming youtube, netflix, pandora and blockbuster.. I only have one option which is youtube, i have the latest firmware, i called samsung tech support, they were no help. Anyone know about these features and know how to access them?
Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Presently the 1600 is only programmed for YouTube streaming. The US models are set up to handle Netflix and Pandora - with a great deal of angst and hassle if you read the AV Forum site.

I am wondering whether the fine folks at Samsung Canada will update the firmware on these players to allow streaming of Netflix as it is apparently now - or will shortly be - available in Canada. I think I will ask the techies at Samsung for some info. Your comment about their lack of informaton is - unfortunately - not a surprise.

·
Registered
255 Posts
UPDATE: I spoke to Samsung Canada today - though it seemed like I got a fellow with an American accent - and asked if there would be a firmware update to add Netflix to the 1600s. The response was "Yes that is in the works but no date for the firmware release is available yet." Interesting, if there any other 1600 owners out there who are interested, it may be useful for the folks to call Samsung to ask to have this firmware update rolled out as soon as possible. I see Netflix is offering a one month free preview to all Canadians.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I will be interested in trying it out. Before i open my big mouth and get ridiculed for it, I will say that I don't know allot about Netflix and how it works, "YET"! I am sure I will be looking into it though. I am interested in it due to the fact that we have lost our only video rental store in town which was Movie Gallery. I now have no where to rent Blu-Rays from. My only option is to buy them at Wal-Mart and I only like to buy really good Blu-Rays. I don't want to put out a bunch of good money for half fast mediocre movies. With that being said, I am also concerned about renting movies from Netflix due to our terrible internet speeds in my location. Trying to stream movies from You tube here is horrible enough. Wait for the darned blue bar to climb and then wait for few seconds and then the darned wait icon pops up again you Wait for the blue bar to climb and so on. If this is how my movie experience will be with Netflix, I won't be interested. Another concern of mine is what the quality of video and sound are like as compared to Blu-Ray. Maybe some other folks can elaborate on it a little more.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
1600 Explained

The 1600 is the same hardware for all regions and countries, however it does not have the same firmware.

ALL units have firmware to support a variety of features, however, they have been limited features depending on the region...

to re-enable some of the feature such as Support for DIVX and other formats... you need firmware from another region and it has to be patched so the player thinks the firmware is useable in this region... ( Brazil firmware has all formats enabled.. ) then you have to set the units Region code back to north america...

these units are 99$ at future shop at the moment on blow out...

they will work with large drives... over 32GB and also include 1TB as Fat32 which has been tested...

youtube feature is nice, if you like youtube..

as for Pandora, BlockBuster... Forget it... if your in canada.

Pandora is geoblocked via IP for American use only...
(yes there is a work around... but its not worth the hassles...)

Blockbuster has already filed for Bankrupt... so they are on the way out...

Now for another comment... I spoke to Samsung in USA as well as Canada.

I also Spoke to Netflix...

The Device WILL according to samsung, have a firmware release by the end Of October to Support NetFlix in canada.

I had also asked why the Sept update did not include netflix, and they did not have any real answer..

My Theory is.. What they did do was to pre test the online Flash Provisioning as a test to see what problems if any would be expierenced when people would upgrade for the Netflix service... '
( instead of the 'Netflix Fried my BD Player..' etc... )

I had also asked why file formats such as Divx were removed from Canadian Systems... they did not have any real answer... and the american samsung rep found this to be somewhat perplexing in nature.

( another amusing comment in the chat with a samsung rep... I had asked him what model of unit he was using at home... it was funny but he told me that in fact, he does NOT use a Samsung product for this purpose in his own home... )

(( Pepsi man is drinking Coca Cola... at samsung... it seems..))

so as it sits... Some time towards the end of october 2010 Netflix will be on the Samsung 1600 boxes in canada as a update...

so yes its a good buy for a Netflix / Youtube / Blueray / MP3 / JPEG unit...

99$ Future Shop... (Blow out)

as for any of the other more recent models... such as the 5500 and the [email protected] options and apps... they are not worth the cost to upgrade to a more expensive unit... (200$)

anyways got a friend with a 1600 and he is crossing his fingers for a update for netflix...

they should crank out something... so they are saying.. by the end of October.. Could be a Trick or Treat...

you could buy the 99$ Box and get a Rotten Egg ( No Netflix )
you could buy the 99$ Box and Get a Treat (Free Month of Netflix)

In all of this what it looks like to me is that they killed the Divx on the canadian units in favor that people would buy into Netflix for 8$ a month...

Kinda a good idea... but in reality... to limit the device features is not a good idea in my opinion as people would be more inclined to purchase a more compatiable product of alternate manufacture.

it does have youtube...

but if your one of the folks that bought a 1600 back when they were like
$200+ I would be mad as anyone... because samsung definately gave its existing customers the dirty end of the stick. IF they do not support a Suitable Update.

·
Registered
38 Posts
-- Netflix general comment

I have watched the netflix service for some time... waited for it to come to canada. I was also on the canadian notification list.

The day it was able to be obtained in canada, I bought it... still in the free month as well...

is it a good service... Answer is YES... However... im not really into movies, and what they DO OFFER is a selection of content able to be utilized on various hardware...

you can watch it on your laptop... or TV with a box that supports the streaming...

its a option of various movies... as well as Series of many TV shows... Music events and such... (much the same as a good collection of DVDs in your home)

its worth 8$ a month...

im not into movies... but its not hard to atleast find something to watch...

my girlfriend likes the ability to watch shows of different series, and its also commercial free, and you can watch it at your leasure, when you want, not limited by scheduel.

I found youtube music videos more entertaining than netlfix, but thats just me, because im not into movies or Tv shows... but a fiew classic movies are on netflix and they are always adding new content...

Picture quality is absolutely fantastic for this type of service..

·
Registered
356 Posts
No update yet?

No new firmware for the 1600 on the samsung.ca site yet. Anyone heard any news?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have noticed that today, Monday, December 13th Samsung has released a firmware upgrade for the BD P1600. As I am not home I cannot comfirm if this allows for Netflix viewing. I was hoping that someone who has upgraded can confirm this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well got home and could not wait for this new firmware...downloaded it but still no Netflix...I don't get it...however DIVX files play:):):)

Anyone know why no Netflix yet??

·
Registered
1 Posts
What type of Divx files were you able to play and was this via the USB port. I upgraded too but the unit would not recognize avi files.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am an idiot......Sorry but Divx does not play on USB nor on disc....but that being said we have the firmware upgrade up no Netflix....I just don't understand...Looks to me like they want us to get new Blu Ray players

·
Registered
38 Posts
The going rumour is Samsung will never release a netflix option for the BD-p1600 with the Canadian Firmware.

I guess I should have done more research, I wanted a netflix capable Blu-Ray DVD player. The site I went to on Samsung said the db-p1600 did netflix...... much to my disappointment only the US firmware version supports it. I feel like taking a hammer to it, putting all the pieces in a bag and dropping it off at Best-Buy where I bought the POS.

I WILL NEVER BUY A SAMSUNG PRODUCT AGAIN

·
Registered
1 Posts
BD-P1600 low-res YouTube

My complaint about the BD-P1600 is that the YouTube app doesn't pick up the 720p version of a clip ... maybe not even the 480p one because full-screen looks terrible, it must be the lowest-resolution 360p version. By comparison, the YouTube app in my Sony 32EX40B HDTV does pick up the higher-res version of the clip and it looks great full-screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still Not Available

I called the number on the Netflix.ca site and was told that the BD-P1600 was able to get Netflix. I called Samsung because I had the latest firmware and there was still no icon on the screen. The person at Samsung (after asking me everything about myself short of giving them a DNA sample) said that the service was not available in that model. I told him that in the Support section for the results of BD-P1600 it does pull up a document about how to use Netflix, and the userguide mentions Netflix. They would have me wait then "nope, not available".

They didn't mention anything about a firmware update available soon.

Has anyone heard of when it will be available in Canada?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is installing the U.S. version of the firmware an option

Does anyone know how to install the U.S. version of the firmware on the Canadian BD-P1600 player? i'd love to hear step-by-step instructions to change the region code, then upload the new firmware. seems like a simple solution for a techie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
July 11 Update Netflix and Samsung

I updated my Samsung BD-P1600 with the latest firmware on July 22/11 and the Netflix icon doesn't show up on my Blue Ray. I phoned Netflix and they told me Netflix works with my model Samsung and the lady worked with me for a half hour trying to get it to work, which it didn't (I finally ended the phone call when it wasn't going anyplace). I then phoned Samsung and was told that this model Blue Ray doesn't work with Netflix, period! He never mentioned firmware updates or any possibility it would ever work; he just said it didn't work with Netflix; and never gave me any hope or suggestion there would ever be any firmware update coming out to make it work. When I told him that Netflix said it would work, he simply stated that he worked for Samsung and this machine wouldn't work with Netflix. No apology; just basically total indifference to my question and/or concern. If I hadn't been given the Blue Ray, I'd be mighty pi***d off.

·
Registered
360 Posts
At least the guy at Samsung is isn't over promising and under delivering like the Netflix gal did for ya. Not trying to stick up for Samsung really, but more or less laughing at the fact that Netflix is trying to promise you what they have no control over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Samsung will never update Netflix etc....

I have had this Samsung bp-d 1600/XAC CANADA region 1 over a year and have latest firmware installed over a wired network. The Good .. Youtube works (Netflix,Blockbusters,Pandor not available here). Good picture quality. The Not So Good.... no pal play back, no divx support, will not play mkv or mp4 files on dvd or usb ports, samsung says the usb ports do not support USB 2.0 ???? so you cannot watch any video format only pictures and music. Samsung continues to lie about NetFlix support !!! I will never buy another samsung product and advice others to do the same....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts