Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung has announced their 2010 lineup of Blu-ray players which includes the BD BD-C5500, BD-C6500, BD-C6500 and BD-C6900 models.

BD-C7500
The Samsung BD-C7500 is is the world’s slimmest Blu-ray player at 1.1 inches that features a nature-inspired wood design coated with jewel-like gloss. Can be wall-mounted, placed on a 25-degree angle stand or placed flat.
The BD-C7500 features improved disc load and boot up times, while the 1080p playback reproduces movie images at 24 fps without need for up-conversion, resulting in a natural on-screen motion.

BD-C6900
The player is compatible with Samsung’s new 3D HDTVs and recently ratified 3D Blu-ray standard.

BD-C6500
Features 15-second disc load and 15-second boot-up time, Samsung says the BD-C6500 is one of the quickest Blu-ray players.

BD-C5500
Features improved energy efficiency by using new technologies such as loader duty control, low voltage spindle motor, and analog video detect, which contribute to a reduced power consumption of 13W during disc playback, and just 0.1W in stand-by mode. The player is Wi-Fi ready (separate purchase of Wi-Fi USB dongle required).

No pricing or availability announced.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Samsung BD-C6900

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
the BD-C6500 intrigues me. Is it really 15 seconds in loading Java disc? or do they only base it on non-java, no-menu movie? Because if it so, the current Pioneer 320 is not too far from that either. About 19 secs boot time and about 17 sec on non-java, no menu movie.

·
Registered
230 Posts
BD-C6500 vs DNLA software for PC

BD-C6500,

Looking for a better software than the samsung pc share manager.
Tversity is detected by the bluray player, but unable to see
any pict. music or video file, BR player always says file format incompatible or unknown.

p.s. I also have a Bell 6131, also doesn't know the code for the remote ,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just noticed that Samsung issued a firmware update for the BD-C6500 player that enables it to stream Netflix. That's good news, considering Netflix just launched its Canadian service. The firmware version is 1017.6 released on Sep 27, 2010.
I will try to update the firmare tonight and see if my BD-C6500 can stream Netflix.

·
Registered
38 Posts

The Samsung 5500 is another one of a similar products which claims to offer a good value for the consumer..

Honestly I was not Impressed with the unit.

as a BD player its as good as anything... it will do youtube, and has the [email protected] system for intergrated applications..

I spoke to Samsung in USA as well as Canada... and was interesting in general. ( I will explain later.. )

First this unit is Open Source... and in all fairness resembles many aspects of previous XBMC (German Linux Media Player system)

its a slimed and trimed BusyBox Linux unit...

with updates it offers service such as Netflix, and others...

The [email protected] apps are somewhat to be desired, and in my opinion not really a good value for the money ( Junk )

It does however support multiple file systems and partition types as well as multiple drives connected at the same time...

It will play Divx files, however will not play some variations of formats.

its a good option for a Netflix box... but at 178$ if you wanted netflix... buy a Wii Console...

One nice thing it can do is play back what ever it can play on a standard NTSC TV so that means you can watch a BD on a non HD tv...

its over all operation is nice, folks will like it... but im a fairly demanding consumer, and I expect good value for my money.

178$ at wally world... $201.43 final total...

I brought the unit back to the store within 24 hours.

as a BD player with netflix (after updates) its ok... and would make a nice gift for someone.

as far as the [email protected] options... its really junk..

Oh and another point... if your in canada, your really limited to the apps and other updates... limited to the point of saying, its not worth while to have the option.

'Wireless LAN Ready' yep indeed... but only if you buy a additional wireless USB dongle and then want to tie up your USB port on the unit... they make it sound like IT IS WIRELESS... until you get into the nitty gritty and read the very fine print in the details... in my opinion its a false way to lure the customer to the product.

its as good a unit as the 1500 which is on blowout at future shop for 99$ that is only if you want BD and youtube as well as prehaps MP3 and Jpegs...
( on the 1500 they removed DIVX on the canadian version which can be restored with a Firmware hack from another region.. )

anyways I was not impressed with anything in this series in general.. and would recomend purchase of a different product.

I would have kept it, if it was able to handle some video files from one of my cameras, but file support is very limited.

It was not a good purchase in my opinion for a Internet enabled BD player and would recomend something different at the end of the day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Samsung 5500

The samsung 5500 is a ok box... the thing that disapointed me the most was the [email protected] apps...

it will do most of what most average people would prehaps use, so in that sense, its a good typical consumer product.

I will say this much.. they had a netflix update... which is ok if you like netflix...

the [email protected] does have a couple of small games (time wasters..)

Although it will read pretty much any type of drive, and Fat32 as well as NTFS also multiple partition configurations... it does not handle many file types.. It can become a comedy show of errors...

( Unsupported file types )

For what it can do... it does do quite well...

its gui had a similar look of older xbmc versions...

in a previous post, I guess I may have been a little hard reviewing it.. I just guess that I was expecting more from the unit.

The stuff on the samsung site as well makes the Internet enabled services such as the [email protected] look quite interesting... in reality not really...
and also some items were not done to a quality level.. i could go into further details but, its not necessary.

but I will give them credit for supporting netflix.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Samsung BD-C6500

Hi,

I have the Samsung BD-C6500 and a Netflix account. I love it, they both work really well. As my wife said it best it's like having you're own video store with the touch of a button of the remote.

T.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Samsung BD-C6500

Sorry I also forgot to mention that I am using "Serviio DLNA media streaming server" with the unit and it recongnizes all my video, audio and pictures. Overall I am impressed with this unit. True the choice of apps is limited but for the price I paid I think it was a good purchase.

T.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I notice that Best Buy will have the Sony BDP - S570 on sale for $170 and the Samsung BD-C6500 with Lord of the Rings BluRay for $160.

I have never owned a Blu Ray player and already have an XBox. What do the knowledgeable folks believe is the better choice?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The Sammy gets my vote; I had a Sony S550, and while it was OK, it didn't deliver anything exceptional. I find the DLNA capability of the Samsung fantastic - streaming from my iMac by using Mobili was stupid-simple. Sony stuff has never had simple setup like that for me. And Samsung seems to be a lot more responsive with releasing firmware updates (like Canadian Netflix support).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I see there is a new firmware update for the Samsung BD-C5500 players.

Is the only way to get this update is download to a Flash drive?
And does the file have to be unzipped before plugging it into the player?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Ronn88,

I have the 6500 with built in WIFI. I upgraded my unit last week when the new firmware was released, but for some reason the auto detect built in did not detect the new file. I downloaded the file and put it and a flash drive and it worked without any issues. To be honest I feel more comfortable downloading on flash drive since there is no risk of losing connection while updating the unit. And yes the file is zipped and you will have to unzip it, otherwise the unit will not recognize anything.

Let me know if you have any questions.

T.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just looking at the Samsung site,says the 1020.1 update is USB type,must be done by flash drive I guess.
I can't get it to automatically download to the player.

I don't have anyway to unzip files on this computer,something I don't come across much these days.Must look for a free app.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you using windows PC or MAC? If you are using windows XP or later it should come with it's own unzipping software. Otherwise google it and there is WINZIP or WINRAR i believe. Most of the USB drives will work.

T.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.