Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WEll guys no more debate for me. I have both sitting in the family room now. Why? Most everyone in my last threads say you have to have the Plasma in the home setting to see best results. I will compare the 2 in every important category to me and the loser TV is going back! With so many people loving plasma, I thought I might regret not trying one out.

Good plan?

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have had the Plasma G20 on for 3 hours. The LED SAmsung I have had for a week now. I haven't adjusted or tweaked PQ yet on the G20, but it is in THX mode. I do have some important concerns answered for me.

XBOX GAME PLAY..... :)PLASMA wins. WAy better then LED!!!. Just like the old tube TV. Not sure if it's the 4ms response time or the 120 hz that makes the LED Samsung worse.

SD PROGRAMMING......:)LED WINS. It is noticeably worse on the G20 just as most reviews and many users have said.

SCREEN GLARE.....:)LED WINS. Noticeably more light reflections on the screen. I will check tomorrow in full daylight if it will affect PQ viewing. Good news at this point is that I think it will not bother the PQ to the point that it's unwatchable. 6300 has also a gloss finish, but it is a black gloss screen, so less light reflection. This is not new info about G20, I knew it would not match the LED from all sources. Better then past models though with an anti-glare screen. And some users say it's still ok if not direct sunlight or daylight, which my room is not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
amazing post - i had the EXACT same issue

except i wasn't lucky enough to have both in my house. The store was going to do that but is going out of business now.

So - I do have to wonder what was better on the 360? The only thing I noticed on the g20 was better colour. I noticed that it was allot darker which made me lose detail when playing black ops for example on the 360. I am contemplating taking the g20 back and getting the 6300 again for this reason. I want that detail, and a bright picture.

In the end waht did you stick with? THe 6300?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No not ended yet. Just had the G20 up for 1 day. What makes the G20 better for gaming is hard to explain. On paper it is straight forward. G20 has like almost 0 [.1 ] I think response time and the 600hz. Although the 600hz is misleading. It's not really 480hz faster or better. Plasma, due to different technology gauge the hz differently. I'm sure the Plasma experts here can elaborate more on that.

For example I was playing my old fav HAlo 1,2,3, and COD3. In the controls the movement is sloppy on the LED SAm 6300. Like I turn to the right and it keeps turning for just a ms longer. Or aiming the same thing it’s sloppy. I can't target like I used to on my old 36" JVC tube TV or the G20. I aim on a target and it like keeps going past.

I even hooked the game back to the tube to make sure it wasn't the controller.

Yes it is darker, but there are a few setting to increase light. Brightness and backlight or dark tone adjustment. But in game mode it is limited yes. 10 years ago when I bought the JVC tube, it had much better brightness adjustment then the RCA that I returned. BY the way, is RCA dead now? Only had the plasma for 1 day and haven't checked out everything. SOme G20/25 Vet's maybe will have more info on that.

The refresh rate looks to be a big deal with gaming. My first LG, MDL 520 LCD HDTV was better. IT was 2ms response time. IF you’re gaming mostly, the 6300 is not as good a choice. And the darn clerk will tell you what you want to hear. I was worried about the 4ms. One sales clerk told me yes it is 4ms response time, but will adjust down to 2ms if the game needs it lol. I thought it was BS then and now I know it's BS.

Hope this helped you. I'm no expert. I just want to plug it in and play. WE all paying extra $$ for the manufacturers to figure out what works or not. But the sales clerks and TV makers have their little tricks or misinformation, or no information when it's something that's crap and they don't want the buying public to know. Ya, what's up with that? I look at the specs on a TV and it's [no information available]? That is why I joined this forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Did you put the Samsung in game mode? It significantly improved the gaming performance on my Samsung.

That is great that you are doing a comparison like this so as to get a home experience on both techs instead of being fed a line of bull from skeevy salespeople who will say anything to make a sale.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes glad you asked, game mode on both when playing games. G20 on THX for reg TV, 6300 on movie mode. Do you see a difference too? Maybe it's just something you get used to gaming on the 6300? After awhile maybe it makes no difference? But for now it's very sloppy and frustrating. I will double check both TV's again for gaming today.

With so many Plasma lovers around, instead of butting heads on the forum, I decided to try both out at the same time to come up with which set I like best. And to share my results to help others who have the same question over the TV choice.

Just to make sure, I double check all mode adjustments etc that I see needed. If I missed something, please let me know.

UPDATE.........

I double checked the game play and game mode on both. The 6300 is not as good as the G20. Not choppy but sloppy lol. It's the crappy 4ms response time that's doing it. Also if I take the 6300 off game mode, yikes it's a nightmare!!! the LG I had was 2ms RT and I didn't notice any problem.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My test was with a golf game where on movie mode the accuracy for power and spin was way off but on game mode it was nearly spot on. Make sure you turn off everything even in game mode as the more the tv has to process, the more lag there will be.

Just make sure if you go with the plasma you rotate what you view at least every couple hours as long sessions with any kind of source with static images or letterbox's can cause image retention, which can be removed, and possibly lead to burn in, which can not.

This is the main reason I shied away from plasma as the majority of the content on screen is long hours of gaming and letterbox movies. Other than that, plasma is a great tech, but I was not willing to take that risk.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, maybe I should say The plasma is not way better, but it is better IMO. Try a game where you have to point and shoot, turn fast, run, stop like a FPS. You will be able to see the difference better.

You have time to post your settings in game mode?

Thks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The settings for my set would be irrelevant for your set as they are very different tv's.

As for going from lcd to plasma to see the difference, I do not have a plasma, but I have done testing between my old panny crt hdtv and this one and the crt is a bit better, but not enough to make a significant difference. My testing was done with modern warfare 2.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Samsung 55a950. Got it on clearance a year and a half ago for what was at the time a ridiculously low price. I have only ever seen 2 sets beat this one even to this day (never saw the Samsung 55b8500, samsungs last full array local dimming set, though I wish I could have). One was the full array local dimming led lcd Sony xbr8, the other was a final generation Pioneer Kuro Elite. I have buddies with new Panny plasmas that I've help set up and I still can't find a reason to switch from this tv yet. Personal opinion of course. Don't want to start yet another lcd vs. plasma war.

Even from tv to tv, settings can be different because everyone sees everything different if you are doing it by eye, and the same tv is not necessarily manufactured at the same plant which can also cause discrepancies. If you want a true calibration, you will have to hire a trained isf tech so they can run certain patterns and computer programs on your set with color meters and grey scale readers in order to get a truly accurate picture.

You could also do this yourself if you want to invest in the equipment as others have.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That mdl is 4ms RT also. I was in a electronics/computer store and the clerk said die hard gamers get the biggest comp monitor and hook it up for xbox gaming/ps3 etc. Comp monitors are 0 RT. Clerk had a panny for gaming.
I'll be taking the SAm 6300 back for sure now, as the TV choice I need has to do gaming as well as HDTV viewing.

I would like to know why SAmsung couldn't get the ms to 2 like other brands??? I also think now the TV makers are putting so much more effort to get the internet app and media gadgets etc. I don't need all that stuff.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I was in a electronics/computer store and the clerk said die hard gamers get the biggest comp monitor and hook it up for xbox gaming/ps3 etc. Comp monitors are 0 RT ... I would like to know why SAmsung couldn't get the ms to 2 like other brands?
This is mostly marketing hype. Don't get caught up worrying about meaningless specs like this.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I am not a big believer in manufacturers numbers as the results composed by them rarely if ever live up to real world testing. Just check out the real results for contrast ratio on any tv reviewed by any mag or test site that uses actual on screen content (home theater mag or sound and vision come to mind) and not the man. specs of the completely false tv on/tv off spec. Real contrast is measured in the thousands, not the millions.

Same goes for response time and whatever trumped up specs manufacturers can come up with. Don't believe it. By the way though, you are getting the manufacturers pixel response time mixed up with gaming lag. The *ms you see on the specs is how fast the pixel refreshes itself without causing blur, which does not have anything to do with gaming response. What does effect gaming response is how fast the tv can process the gaming content. That is why you have to go to gaming mode which shuts off most movie related processing, and then still shut off whatever is unnecessary in that mode such as dynamic contrast, motion flow, and whatever else that you would not need anyway.

I am glad you did some real world testing to get to the set you want though. I would personally choose that Panny plasma over an edge lit Samsung any day. A full array local dimming led though, tough call. Now you just have to break the trend of listening to sales people and believing marketing specs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see what you mean. Game lag stats or lag stats is not something any makers lists? Does any review list have these lag stats? I read online somewhere, they talking about game lag. As I stated already, I had the LG 55"520 LCD and had it for almost 30 days and didn't notice any problems at the 2ms RT.

I don't know whats lacking on this 6300, but it is. Lag time, repsonse time, hz or a combination of them?

Poor gaming alone is enough for me to return the LED! Now the Plasma, not sure yet.

THks

I'm not the only one that hates it. Below is a another gamer complaint from a SAM 6300 owner.

. Lag during video games.

"The video game lag on this TV is worse than on my older LCD. I can play most video games on this however only after turning down (or off) all of the "smoothing" sort settings depending on the kind of game. It helps but nonetheless not as good as with my older TV. This is unlucky as a result of one would hope a newer TV like this may have improved processing. Too dangerous the games look nice with special settings turned on, just not too playable."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Crap - was just about to bring back my g20 for a 6300.. wtf, why would a newer tv be worse then older ones? My 40 inch lcd from a few years ago had no issues atll. grr

I really hate the look of the plasma.. i don't like seeing little moving dots on my screens, and i like to sit close. Not to mention i feel like i'm getting a sun burn in front of my g20.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did have a 6300 for about a week and noticed no issues gaming at all, but I didn't really get into it. I was coninved to get a g20, so i swapped it out and was regretting it after that.. or at least thinking I didn't give the 6300 a chance.

Now i'm not so sure agian. I was dead set on taking the g20 back .. but i really don't know.

I noticed when I was playing games, i could see more details, probably due to the brighter picture or whatever, but i like being able to see everything. I was playign black opps on-line mostly.. zombie modes. Even the details on the hands and such in the first area was noticably different on the g20.

I also noticed in Masseffect I could see lots of stuff. Nice blacks on the g20, but allot of times everything was too dark. Crud... I really wish i had the same chance to set 2 up and compare.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I really hate the look of the plasma.. i don't like seeing little moving dots on my screens
Ummm...what?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did have a 6300 for about a week and noticed no issues gaming at all, but I didn't really get into it. I was coninved to get a g20, so i swapped it out and was regretting it after that.. or at least thinking I didn't give the 6300 a chance.

Now i'm not so sure agian. I was dead set on taking the g20 back .. but i really don't know.

I noticed when I was playing games, i could see more details, probably due to the brighter picture or whatever, but i like being able to see everything. I was playign black opps on-line mostly.. zombie modes. Even the details on the hands and such in the first area was noticably different on the g20.

I also noticed in Masseffect I could see lots of stuff. Nice blacks on the g20, but allot of times everything was too dark. Crud... I really wish i had the same chance to set 2 up and compare.
Well I have taken the time now to test both quite well. I still think the G20 beats the 6300 on game play. But now I think not as much as I had first thought. Only slight edge to the G20. So gaming shouldn't be a concern on either, unless you a super die hard gamer. Did you try to adjust the lighting in the menu? You don;t have to be stuck with default GAME mode settings to play. I adjusted my setting and found a nice game PQ during the day with daylight. If you like to be up close to the TV set for gaming go LED 6300. The G20 is grainy up close along with most plasmas, as I stated in other threads.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just want to tell you guys that I was taking the loser TV back. Well I have taken the time now to test both LED and Plasma quite well, and found that neither are a loser TV. I have adjusted my initial findings as well.

Game play.....Plasma wins :) Only slightly better though. No PQ problems, just sloppy controls. Both on game modes.

SD Programming.....TIE :rolleyes: Both are crappy. And some channels are better then others.

Screen glare......LED WINS :) 6300 only slightly better with the gloss black screen. No PQ problems with the G20 in full daylight with light setting adjustment. This is providing windows do not face the TV and no direct sunlight, as my room is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts