Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the samsung 5500 bluray player stream netflix (in canada) wirelessly w/out any router involved? our house has highspeed wireless, but there is no router or any access to wiring available, so the bluray player i need w/have to be wireless w/o any hardwiring (if this makes sense). am i correct in assuming the samsung 6500 w/do this? and the 5500 needs a dongle? i don't want to have to purchase anything more than just the bluray player, and by this, i mean a dongle (i think that is what it is called). i now have a sony bluray that is wireless 'ready', but i have to purchase a dongle to go w/it, or have it hard wired, which is not possible where we are. i found a samsung 5500 locally, but w/it work w/nothing else to buy? otherwise i have to try to track down a 6500 which i understand w/work.
thanks for any help here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wireless bluray

Hi Posskat,

Not sure what you are asking for. You need a router to access any network through wireless. Unless you are with an internet provider that has a modem/wireless router combo?

How do you currently access the internet?

T.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at our place, located in a rural area, the antennae on the top of the barn catches the internet signal from our office, about 3/4 of a mile away. so, i just open up my laptop, and i have highspeed internet. does that make sense? the barn w/the antennae on it is located some 150 ft. from our house, and there is nothing in our house that even relates to a router, or any wires connected to our house. does that help? i have a wireless printer that works, and i'd like to have netflix streaming thru the bluray, instead of my computer, but as i said, the one i do have requires hard wiring, which is not possible, or a dongle (i don't want to spend any more money). i can still return my bluray to costco, but i need a replacement that w/stream netflix wirelessly.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
No this one is fine. You will have better chance of someone being able to help you in this forum since it is a wifi issue. The other thread is for Netflix.

But I can answer a part of your question. The antenna has to be connected to something. It could be a bridge a repeater etc. Tell us what it is and we can definitely answer your question. A model number goes will go a long way to answering your question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in the barn where the antenna is located,there is a wire coming from the antenna to an electrical outlet, and that is all i can tell you; the ranch office is the main area, and where we live is sort of a satellite area(,about 3/4 mile away from the office), for lack of a better word. my computer (laptop) picks up the signal here, but my house has no router, and there aren't any wires connected from the barn to our house. hence, i have nothing that i can hardwire the bluray player to (which was what the sony people recommended i do to be able to connect to netflix wirelessly. then, they suggested a dongle, but i didn't want to fork out anymore money, IF i can purchase the samsung BD-C6500, and have it stream netflix w/out purchasing anything else, or having to hardwire it to this nonexistant router (if it does exist, it's in the barn, and i can't run a wire accross the yard). i am under the impression that this particular bluray player can stream netflix totally wirelessly, if that makes sense, and wondered if that was, indeed, the case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe you could tell me! all i know is that i open my laptop and bang! like magic, i have highspeed internet access (like when you sit outside a hotel and you can access the internet). i know that our office set everything up, added an antenna, or tower, or whatever it's called, to our end of the ranch, on top of this barn, which is located about 150' from my house. apparently there is a cord from this antenna that runs down to an electrical outlet, and if this is unplugged, there is no internet service. maybe this antenna is a repeater? the main office is located 3/4 miles from here, and i believe all of the main paraphanalia is located there at the office. i know i bought a wireless printer, and when i press the print button on my laptop, my printer works, and i have no wires directly connected to the printer. THIS is what i want the bluray player to be able to do. am i getting thru?

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
An antenna does not normally plug into an electrical outlet. Sorry but we are still confused here. It sounds like a microwave link to the main office. The power cord you see would be running the box which is then connected to the antenna.

What you are describing is how a wireless router/bridge/repeater normally works. Wireless printing is no different than a PC. But they need a device attached to the antenna to coordinates all the data.

As a last resort you can share your laptop internet connection and then use the Ethernet jack on the laptop for the Samsung. It is advanced but it would not require you to buy anything.

Until we figure out what type of technology you are using we can't be of much help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry for my ignorance on these matters. the guy in the office can't explain it to me, either, and they won't give me the isp # either. but it sounds like you are probably right about it being a wireless router/bridge. i just know my laptop works just fine, and i can plug an hdmi cable into it and the tv and have netflix....but the whole idea is to NOT use my laptop, but use a bluray player instead, if one would work. i w/try the samsung BD-D6500 and see if it works or not.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
It sounds like the antenna thing is just a repeater, which links to whatever system is afar, and provides a local wi-fi access point.

The BDC-6500 apparently has built in Wi-Fi, so if you don't have a web login on your Internet (as in no security, or plain WEP or WPA), it should connect.

Now, whether it is good enough for Netflix is another matter. If Netflix works fine on the computer, it should work fine on the player.

·
Registered
57 Posts
WIFI

Hi Posskat,

Sorry I did not respond sooner. But when you turn on your laptop and try the internet, do you see an icon next to the clock on the bottom right hand side of your screen? Assuming you are using windows, it would look like a little desktop computer with semi circle lines beside it. If you do can you right click with your mouse over it and select "Status" from the options listed. Once the "Status" window is open can you tell us what you see?

T.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
am looking for that icon now, and only see, the speaker volume, the battery/plug in icon, a flag, and the internet access button. is there some way to access this another way?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Samsung BD-C6500

Hi Posskat,

Instead of making try a whole lot of different settings. Just buy the Samsung BD-C6500 and try it. I have it at home and it works great wirelessly and I stream netflix without any problems. I had a couple of issues initially trying to connect wireless but the problem was interference. Once I figured it out everything works great. When you get the unit just follow the instructions and setup wizard and you should be able to connect. It doesn't sound like you need to enter in any security keys to connect to the internet.

Good luck.

T.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i`m getting one on tuesday. i `m thinking it will probably work, and if not, i know the place to get the right info, now. thanks so much. i`ve got windows 7, and still trying to figure some things out. but i do know my computer streams netflix very well, and, as the service is not secured out here, i shouldn`t have to put much info into the bluray player....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts