Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

741 - 760 of 807 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Pre-Loaded are illegal. Buying a box clean is not. I have 2 Nvidia Shiled's. Plex built in, Prime and Netflix approved for the dumb tv, google play store, free legal apps like Pluto and games if you want. Doesn't stop people from side loading Kodi stuff.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
side loading Kodi stuff.
It's not Kodi plugins that are the issue these days. There are other apps and program plugins being used. Kodi has been maligned enough. It's time to stop associating it with illegal TV streaming.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The service providers are being shut down slowly. A co-workers provider was shut down last week. He said thankfully he only had 3 weeks of service left so was out only literally pennies. He’s already up with a different provider using VPN & fake credentials and gift card MasterCards to purchase service. I asked him if it was worth all that hassle and he says absolutely but is goes to show you that illegal providers are being shut down albeit slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
The people using these "services" are no better then shoplifters. Great modelling if you have kids in the house.
Hard for a layman to figure out what's legal and isn't.

I scratch my head at times on how some (much!) of the content on Google's YouTube service is legal - but it stays up forever, so surely it is - it's not like the big boys are going to be blatantly violating copyright. :-J

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hard for a layman to figure out what's legal and isn't.

I scratch my head at times on how some (much!) of the content on Google's YouTube service is legal - but it stays up forever, so surely it is - it's not like the big boys are going to be blatantly violating copyright. :-J
Agreed.

2/3 of the people that I have ever talked to about, who have asked things about the android boxes.. has NO CLUE about the legality part of it.. or it didnt even cross their mind.
The only thing they thought about, was that bell/rogers was ripping them off.. if these guys could give the content for free (or low $ in the case of some of the IPTV stuff).
Never crossed their minds that maybe it was because it wasnt legal content?

And unfortunately.. for many people they dont care either..
As long as they are saving $$

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Agreed.

2/3 of the people that I have ever talked to about, who have asked things about the android boxes.. has NO CLUE about the legality part of it.. or it didnt even cross their mind.
I call this willful ignorance. Like the stereotype of buying high-end TV's from a truck parked in some obscure alley and then expressing surprise that they had bought stolen goods if the cops show up to confiscate the merchandise.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Most ISPs probably know who is using these boxes just by the traffic and IP addresses they are connecting to - and since most ISPs are owned by cable/satellite companies and are the same companies that own the legal rights to distribute the same programming in Canada, it will be interesting when they start getting heavy handed with customers streaming illegally.

It's very simple - if illegal content is coming from IP address 123.456.789.0, and you connected to it, your ISP has a log of it. How they, or any law enforcement chooses to ever use that information will be interesting one day.

ISPs also know what IP addresses are for VPNs designed to hide this type of traffic - your ISP may not know exactly what you are doing, but just having a VPN that is supplied/advertised for this purpose is suspicious most of the time these days. Most personal internet users that are using the internet for legal content don't usually get a VPN.

·
Registered
930 Posts
ISPs also know what IP addresses are for VPNs designed to hide this type of traffic - your ISP may not know exactly what you are doing, but just having a VPN that is supplied/advertised for this purpose is suspicious most of the time these days. Most personal internet users that are using the internet for legal content don't usually get a VPN.
Yeah, but many people suggest using a VPN when accessing public Wifi hotspots. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who forget to turn off their VPN on their laptop/tablet/phone when the get home after using public Wifi.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Maybe most don't, but some definitely do. And since they can't really tell if you are or you aren't, it doesn't tell them much of anything useful.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
True these service(IPTV & add on's) maybe be illegal, but what they offer to a consumer is very tempting especially what the offer for either "free" or about $20/month from
anywhere from 1,000 channels(various english IE US,Canada,UK,Australian to ethnic channels from their original countries)to 8,000+ channels. As an example a IPTV service called Nitro carries over 8,000 channel from English/French to various ethnic services. IE Arabic over 1,000 channels US over 300 Canada over 200 channel ON Demand over 32,000+ titles, 24/7 series of TV shows both retro & present 200+ TV Setries, over 100+ movie channel US,Canada Sky movie channels, etc.

For only $20/month or $30/month for 3 devices.

Yes its illegal, but ILLEGAL!! SMIGAL!! for $20-$30 per month this is extremely tempting for individuals to buy.

I'm not saying it right all I'm saying people simply don't care, and they'll buy it regardless of the consequence that might result from purchasing it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I know it has been said before, but worth repeating.

If you want to combat piracy, offer the content viewers want at a fair price!

If the CRTC had opened up the marketplace to U.S. BDU's during the satellite piracy years, I contend that piracy wouldn't be an issue for the most part today. Account stacking still exists, so why not open the marketplace and let consumers choose?

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
I'm not condoning piracy, but... I'm also sick and tired of broadcasters that overcharge for programming that doesn't get delivered on time, is incomplete or is constantly disrupted by needless promos and don't offer reasonable ways of catching up on missed episodes. Add to that, BDUs that overcharge for defective and badly designed hardware, constantly downgrade packages and then turn around and overcharge consumers for getting back services that were arbitrarily were taken away. The way these companies act borders on a con game that one would expect from a carnival sideshow, not Canada's leading companies.

·
Registered
202 Posts
what piss me off the most is that they charge you for the American networks like nbc abc cbs and fox but won't let you watch those stations when a Canadian provider shows the same programming because the Canadian channel takes them over.i hate ctv the most because they have the balls to say that it's there programming like they produced it but they had no work in producing 90% of there programming at all.thanks bell for screwing up the Canadian broadcast system and holding every Canadian hostage while laughing all the way to the bank.the usa networks should all be free because when we really want to watch them we can't.too many Canadian are sick and tired about all the bull rogers and bell put us threw that's the main reason Canadians seek there tv else where,

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
@heans , I have a few comments/corrections.

1. Simsubs are mandated by the CRTC and are not the fault of the BDUs. The BDUs must follow those instructions of the Canadian Broadcasters.
2. CTV does pay for the Canadian rights for that programming. Yes, CTV is owned by Bell now, however, it was the same before Bell ownership and it's the same for other Canadian Channels.
3. The US networks (ABC, NBC, etc) are available for free OTA, sorry if you can't pick them up due to distance, but a huge percentage of Canadians can, even the thieves.

@Everyone: The people who steal programming's major interest is usually not the regular programming, but rather the premium programming, like movies, etc, which is not inexpensive anywhere. If you can't afford a certain car, or don't want to pay for one, you're not allowed to steal it, or pay a low price for a stolen one. There's nothing that justifies that theft. Even though the BDUs make a profit, there's no way the price is going to go from $75-150/mo to $0-30/month.

·
Registered
636 Posts

While I agree with your comments in general and I don't condone piracy, I think a little history might be worthwhile to show why piracy exists.

Back in the day, I was able to watch every Toronto Maple Leafs game without "additional" costs. The CBC carried HNIC and when Global TV was born, Global carried all the weeknight Leafs games. Same for MLB and NFL. You could catch almost any MLB or NFL game on network television. Low and behold those leagues were profitable back then without the twinkle of TSN in Ted Roger's eye.

Then along came, I'll call him, Mr. Greed. The BDUs figured out how to make an amazing return on investment by taking pro sports out of the public domain and into the hands of private corporations. Today my sports viewing consists of HNIC (streamed on CBC's flimsy platform), the rare televised NFL game on U.S. networks, or my subscription to MLB.TV. Honestly, I cannot afford any other sports subscriptions as I'm now retired but unfortunately, have the time now to follow sports more closely. :(

The way I see this is eventually the cost for these services will be out of reach to most Canadians. A recent report from Stats Can showed that almost half of Canadians are only $200 a month shy of insolvency doesn't bode well either.

The demand is there for these services. They just need to be priced competitively so most Canadians can afford them. Otherwise piracy will never cease.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
While I agree with your comments in general and I don't condone piracy, I think a little history might be worthwhile to show why piracy exists.

Back in the day...
...back in the day there was one hockey game per week on Saturday night. If, however, you wish to watch many more games per week, or have your choice of games, you'll need to pay for that privilege. Things change and that change is no excuse to steal TV.

741 - 760 of 807 Posts