Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

521 - 540 of 807 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #522 (Edited)
Yeah, I am pretty sure that because of my post people are going to run and invest in the service that may shut down in a few days or so.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Legally, using a VPN to access geo-blocked content is no different than using a pirate web site. It violates the same copyright laws and agreements in the downloader's home country. The main difference is that the providers of the content, one doing so legally in their region and the other not, are in difference legal positions. It's also quite different morally for the downloader. In one case, the person is stealing from the legal copyright holder, in the other, supporting organized crime as well as stealing.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
Of course one other major difference is that pirates are stealing programming that costs money everywhere, whereas someone using a VPN to obtain otherwise free programming is on quite different moral ground.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
That "free programming" may be free to residents of the originating country or region but not to the rest of the world. One example is BBC content that is available to UK residents because they pay taxes to support the BBC and its programming. The method of payment in the originating country makes no difference.

In any event, it's the right of the copyright holder to determine how their content is accessed and by whom. The main exception is for content that is broadcast over the airwaves publicly and with no encryption. That is free to anyone within receiving distance. However, re-transmitting or distributing it by other means, such as over the internet, is prohibited.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #529 (Edited)
So I guess all those DVDs that I had purchased back home when I went for a visit, I can not really watch them on my multi-region DVD player in Canada either because I should watch them only in the region that they were made for.

As for using VPN I have no moral issues about it in any shape or form. The content is free and not available in Canada so nobody is losing money because of me. The apps and the VPN to stream the content from back home are available in Canadian Apple store as well so I do not see any issues there. I have also the option to pay for some content from Europe as well and sometimes I do if I want to watch sports or some latest movies or shows as not everything is free.

If this is the case then I could easily say that using antenna in Canada to watch American stations is also piracy because theoretically free programming on American stations is being provided only to Americans living in United States.

·
Registered
621 Posts
57 said:
Of course one other major difference is that pirates are stealing programming that costs money everywhere, whereas someone using a VPN to obtain otherwise free programming is on quite different moral ground.
That's pure BS, that's like saying WNLO can air Murdoch Mysteries because it's "free" where they get it.

CBC sell their content around the world (WNLO pay to broadcast this show) as does ABC Australia, which is why we now see so many Aussie shows on our national broadcaster.

Using a vpn to get "free programming" is no different than torrenting/streaming.

Bev Fan always tries to side with the monopolistic entities until he's exposed as a user of tech to avoid copyright law.

Mary Ann Turke, Bell's ex CEO called him a pirate, just like her own daughter for using a VPN:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/bell-media-president-urges-behavioural-shift-to-prevent-stealing/article24783094/

I couldn't care less what my neighbour does, I get a huge beef for sanctimonious a-holes that try cramming corporate talking points down my throat while having ZERO understanding of LAW.

If you use a VPN to access geoblocked content you are in violation of copyright law, plain and simple, so quit and correct your ways or admit you are a copyright violator.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
Using a vpn to get "free programming" is no different than torrenting/streaming.
We'll have to disagree then. Someone who purchases a box to watch stolen programming on the web is different. Yes, both people are guilty of theft, however, it's like comparing someone who walks into a store and leaves with everything in the store with someone who takes a pack of chewing gum. Both are theft, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Both are theft, but there is a difference.
So its OK to take 1 item ? Is the limit 2, 3 or 100.?

If they are both theft, then theft it is. It is like saying doing 61 in a 60 zone is OK but 62 is speeding.

Buying/using a VPN to obtain geo-blocked content is theft, is it not. The average man in the street has not heard of a VPN, so obtaining one and using it implies some kind of pre-meditation, a bit like going equipped for a burglary, you now have the tools to carry out the theft.

I was always under the impression that a Region Free DVD player was also as close to being illegal as it could be. If it was OK to have Region Free players, then surely they would have made all DVD's Region Free? There is/was a reason for having Regions, that was just the original version of geo-blocking IMHO, as far as the tech at the time would allow.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The content is free and not available in Canada so nobody is losing money because of me.
Not true. You are costing the BBC (to use a previously mentioned example) extra money in bandwidth.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
The average man in the street has not heard of a VPN, so obtaining one and using it implies some kind of pre-meditation, a bit like going equipped for a burglary, you now have the tools to carry out the theft.
I will call BS... Think about what you stated..
The purpose of using a VPN is to keep your personal and or business related communications secure. VPN - Virtual Private Networking. Simple as that.
Further, Is there a law anywhere in the world that says you must leave the front door of your home open? Of course not.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Lumping torrenting and streaming together is deceptive as well. Torrenting involves both uploading and downloading of content whereas streaming is typically just downloading. The uploading of copyrighted content is considered to be much more serious and carries greater civil and criminal penalties than simply downloading.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
So its OK to take 1 item ? Is the limit 2, 3 or 100.?

If they are both theft, then theft it is. It is like saying doing 61 in a 60 zone is OK but 62 is speeding.
I thought of the speeding analogy too late last night after I had turned my computer off, however, the comparison would be more like doing 61 in a 60 vs doing 240 in a 60. ;)

Anyway, this thread is about using boxes to illegally download/stream.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
Uncontrollable use of of Android boxes and other means to commit piracy puts Canada on American IP priority list. With no legal or technological action from Canadian government to stop IP theft that includes manufacturing counterfeits as well. Now Canadais are the only one of G7 countries on that list.
Piracy haven just across the border.

U.S. Adds Canada to IP 'Priority Watch List' -

·
Registered
275 Posts
After reading this article,I think it refers mostly to counterfeit,pharmaceutical pricing,copyrights ant etc as opposed to watching American T.V. shows using an Android Box.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
You don't need to look far to find the political motivation for this piece of discriminatory action.
As Reuters reports, the increased criticism of Canada came as its foreign minister “was locked in intense negotiations” with USTR over updating the North American Free Trade Agreement. Washington has demanded that a modernization of the 1994 pact include stronger IP protections.
The US has a long history of politically motivated slander and illegal actions. Every time a US politician wants to shore up their voter base they blame Canada, Mexico or China and institute trade barriers that are often illegal under international law or contravene trade agreements. The current US administration has raised this to the highest levels in recent history. They want to tear down NAFTA and any other trade agreement they can to appease US voters. They doing this by unjustly blaming other Canada for their problems instead of instituting less popular domestic reforms. Canada has fought many illegal tariffs the US has directed at Canada and won most of the cases. This is just another in a long list of accusations levied by US politicians that are trying to bully Canada into conceding to their will.

521 - 540 of 807 Posts