Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about a six month public beta version 7 of SageTV has now been released.

SageTV is, at least IMHO, the best solution for a PC-based PVR system, especially if you want to be able to stream to multiple TVs. It directly supports the Hauppauge HD-PVR which allows you to capture HD content and it also works very well with OTA tuner cards to capture OTA TV. Sage records TV shows to MPEG-2 or H.264 files which are standard formats and these files do not have any DRM.

Major improvements over version 6 are a new UI and a plugin manager that allows you to easily add any of the dozens of plugins available for Sage.

Sage also offers a hardware extender, the HD-300, for $150.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Background:
I have the HVR-950Q and use WinTV to record. From my TV I browse the DLNA share and watch the recorded shows. This works great but it is not as user firendly as a real PVR. (no *New* icons etc)

Question:
Will SageTV be able to display a typical "PVR" screen at my TV without their any hardware?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you browse the shares from the DLNA? Is this a function of your TV or are you using some other type of media device like a Popcorn Hour or WDTV?

To get the real benefit of SageTV you would want to be using their PVR software rather than WinTV. WinTV is pretty basic and is basically just thrown in by Hauppauge so that you can at least use your tuner without buying additional software.

But to fully answer your question - to see a PVR type of screen you will need either a PC hooked up to your TV with Sage software installed or a SageTV hardware extender. The extender would then connect to a PC via your LAN - wired is always preferred but you can buy an optional wireless adapter.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Does it support uPnP?

·
Registered
123 Posts
How do you browse the shares from the DLNA? Is this a function of your TV or are you using some other type of media device like a Popcorn Hour or WDTV?

To get the real benefit of SageTV you would want to be using their PVR software rather than WinTV. WinTV is pretty basic and is basically just thrown in by Hauppauge so that you can at least use your tuner without buying additional software.

But to fully answer your question - to see a PVR type of screen you will need either a PC hooked up to your TV with Sage software installed or a SageTV hardware extender. The extender would then connect to a PC via your LAN - wired is always preferred but you can buy an optional wireless adapter.
Yes, my TV does it. (Samsung 6 series) From the TV, I browse to my Windows 7 PC and select the files I want to view or play. It is great to have the TV connected to the network.

I really don't like the clutter of a set top box or the cost. Since my TV has some of the functionally built in I would rather try to maximize the features I have.

It seems like a lot of people don't like WinTV. I really like it as it will automatically convert the .ts files to mpg, then using DLNA I can view on my TVs.

WMC saves it to a "wtv" format that I need to transcode to play on the TVs. For me, the only benefit of WMC is the built in guide, but using titantv.com allows the same one click recording.

Thanks for the SageTV info1

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand trying to use all the functionality of your TV and not wanting the clutter of another box, but I think there is a huge increase in functionaily going from browsing files on a network share to having full PVR functionality on your main TV - and that is what you get with SageTV or Windows MC. With an extender, and the only decent extender for Windows MC is actually an Xbox360, whereas for Sage you have their own Sage HD-300, you get the full UI to be able to schedule shows, search by different criteria like actor, movie rating, etc.

I had a similar setup to what you are using several years ago, although it wasn't my TV that supported playback it was my DVD player. This allowed me to browse folders and play back video files. But I didn't find it all that compelling, and it was hard for others to use properly. I went to using Win XP Media Center with Linksys Media Center extenders which worked well for a while but it didn't support HD. SageTV in conjunction with their extenders plays pretty much all types of files and it allows me to centralize my PVRing of TV shows which I can then play back at any one of five TVs (via extenders) or any PC in my house, or even over the internet using its Placeshifter technology.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts