Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1318 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Edited by 57. See the following post for SA8000HD issues that have/have not been resolved in the SA8300HD. There are also some new issues for the 8300HD. This list (in post 10) will be updated as necessary.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=130121&postcount=10

Problems with recording/viewing Buffalo Major network channels and split recordings seem to have resurfaced. Other known issues at this time include problems with recording Fox Buffalo. If you get Fox Buffalo (and perhaps other Buffalo Majors), do NOT record this/those channel as it will corrupt recordings and also affect other recordings on the STB. A cold reboot (unplug/replug) will resolve the issue if you have recorded Fox Buffalo. Record the programmes on Seattle channels, or Global/CTV.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=132107

Non-standard Start/stop times

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18207

With the latest firmware update (1.92.15.2), you can "pad" your scheduled recordings to add the minutes required and the "padding" will now be remembered.

Inconsistent programme titles

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18287

This should now be a non-issue.

Another issue in some areas revolves around recording Channel 8 (CTV). In some areas, if you try to record Ch 8, you can only record one programme at a time, if you try to do two, then you may run into issues. Record CTV-HD instead or one of the CTV timeshifts.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61329

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
voyager6868 said:
MuchMusic Video Awards on 280 seems to stutter *a lot*.
See the following thread. Not the STB's fault.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16723

Too bad about the volume, if you ran the audio through an A/V receiver, the remote can usually be programmed to control the receiver.

Why don't we make this thread into an official thread for keeping track of SA8300HD issues...

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the bad sound is messing up this particular STB more than the others. I should have been more clear, but it's the video that is stuttering (it freezes for about 0.5-1 second and then continues).

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really an issue... more of an improvement... I get the impression that the video (mostly on the HD braodcasts) is much more fluid/smooth with this STB. Almost makes me wonder if previous STBs were always dropping frames, or doing something strange that made the video appear less fluid?

Of course, it could be my imagination, so anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Minor first impression is that they the made clock/channel display smaller so it's not so convenient for me anymore. The 8300HD is smaller than the 8000HD but not as sleek and attractive IMO. The front panel buttons seem really cheap too. Interestingly, my unit was manufactured only 9 days ago.

The PQ for SD does seem a little better but that could just be my imagination. The menus are definitely faster and you don't get the little glitches that the 8000HD had when you tried to do things too fast. Passthrough works and changes resolution not instantly but much faster than the 8000HD. The stretch/zoom feature now has three modes instead of two.

The RCA inputs were moved to the front from the back.

Once the 8000HD gets up to the same firmware level, the only real difference for me will be the faster CPU since I only have component inputs. By the time they activate all the ports, there will probably be another box to upgrade to. :)

Interestingly, you get the 60 day digital channel preview and a free PPV even though you're just exchanging and not to mention another set of spare cables. Kind of a misplaced incentive but I'll take it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does the 8300HD fix the following 2 issues?

1) Setting a recording to start or end 1 or 2 minutes different than the scheduled time only works for the first showing in a "record all episodes" setup. ie on the 8000HD if I want to always record 2 minutes past the end of a show the only way to do this is to set a manual time recording, or always remember to set the recording for the show each week.

2) When fast-forwarding, if you press the jump back button instead of play, then the next time you press fast-forward it will go to the next speed, instead of resetting speeds and starting over at level 1 FF.

These are the 2 most annoying issues with the 8000HD for my wife, so if either of them are fixed, then she's all for swapping out for the 8300. Currently she doesn't want to mess with the hassle :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Major bug found

I picked up my 8300HD this afternoon(in Cambridge)

Scheduled a bunch of new recordings.

AT 11:00pm I had 4 recordings

I decided to see if a manual recording still was named "manual recording" (it is) I then cancelled the manual recording. As the time the manual recording(which was now erased) would have started I was prompted that there was not enough room to record the show, and it prompted me to erase one of the previous shows. I declined(pushed the cancel button) and hey presto ALL my recording are now gone :-( BTW, according to my new "fuel guage" I was only using 4% of the drive

on another note, the diagnostic pages seem to have stats for Multi Room(pages 23+) capabilities. Is the MR feature a hardware upgrade or just some software that needs to be enabled???

·
Registered
462 Posts
A couple of quirks:

1. That music video award looks like a bad datastream at source. The other previews on that station are just fine....with no audio or frame drops that I've seen.

2. My box seems to 'hang' when you boot it up (from a remote power off). If I wait a minute (which feels eternal), I can access the guide and change channels. Anyone else notice this? Its a bit annoying.

3. DVI out is noticably (though only slightly) brighter than the component out on the STB. It could be an issue with my set, and not the STB. Other than that, I would be hard pressed to see any difference in output. (perhaps slightly better on DVI)

Thats it for now.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Edit - 2007.01.24. We now have V1.89 of the firmware and several of the issues have been resolved. Please see the summary post below for details:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=490742&postcount=63

Here's a list of the issues that the 8000HD had, that the 8300HD (Rogers) resolved, or hasn't yet resolved. I'll add more information as people post their comments.
Firmware 2005.02.10 - 1.85.20.3

Better? 1. A "stuttering" or "jittering" when watching programmes with panning from side to side, or up/down - sports like basketball, hockey, auto racing, even nature programmes with fast panning have this problem. Looks like the "frame rate" is only a few frames per second, instead of 30.

Not Resolved 2. Issues with setting up manual recordings . The recordings do not always "take" properly - sometimes you get two recordings or even "weird" additional recording times. Sometimes, the manual recording settings are phantomly deleted, after only one recording even if it's supposed to be a "weekly" recording, etc.

Better/Resolved 3. When a recorded HD programme comes to a fully "black" or fully "white" scene, or credits at the end of a movie, there are audio/video breakups/stuttering. This happens on almost all recorded programmes with "black" or "white" screens. Examples include "Six Feet Under" which has a number of "fade to white" scenes in each episode and has credits at the end that cause these "breakups".

Not Resolved 4. If you set an "all episode" recording from the IPG, edit it to add a few minutes, it'll record this way, properly, the first time - for example set Jay Leno to record from 11:33PM-12:38AM instead of 11:35-12:35, however, after it's recorded this way once, all subsequent recordings go back to the "unedited" 11:35-12:35. You cannot modify this setting after the first time the programme has been recorded either - you must use the "one episode" recording option and programme/edit it once a week.

5. Phantom Recordings, Recordings erased, other recording issues... See the following thread for some recording issues/causes.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18287

Resolved 6. We look forward to a time when the "VCR archiving" function works. See "bug" below in item 31.

Resolved 7. We look forward to a "fuel gauge" that tell us how much space is left on the hard drive for recording.

Resolved 8. We look forward to having "passthrough" and/or "upconvert1/2" available on this STB, similar to the way it is on the SA3250HD (and the new SA8300HD). It's a bit of a pain having to manually change between formats, especially after having used the SA3250HD.

9. We look forward to a time when the firewire ports are activated.

Resolved (HDMI active) 10. We look forward to a time when the DVI/HDMI port is activated.

Not Present 11. We look forward to "easily" being able to add a few minutes to regular recordings, at the front and at the back, for minor programme overruns. It is currently possible to edit recordings to do this, but that's cumbersome and also doesn't "hold" as mentioned in the "bugs", above.

Same Remote 12. On the remote control the "live" button is right above to the FF button. This makes it far too easy to hit the "live" button instead of FF, which means you have to rewind to get back to where you were - very annoying when "pausing live TV". You should mention this "design flaw" to SA.

Partially Resolved (with "in this timeslot" option) 13. If you use the "all episodes" recording option, it'll record every episode of that programme, even if it's a repeat. This means that some shows, which are repeated often each week, get recorded several times a week, instead of once. There should be an option for "every NEW episode", comparing existing recordings to "new" IPG information.

Not Present 14. Although you can stop watching a recording and go back to the same position later to "resume from current location". You cannot do this if you go to a "different" recording in the meantime. You can only "resume" the last programme you watched. (On a VCR, I would have simply reinserted the tape and it would resume where I left off - I can't see why the firmware can't include a "tag" on each recording, rather than only the "last" recording watched?)

Not Resolved 15. If you record a program and then start watching it part of the way through (by rewinding to the beginning - the only way with older firmware), when the program finishes recording you are automatically returned to "live" TV. This is very annoying. I'm engrossed in a show when, out of nowhere, I'm now watching something completely different. Going back into the show to find where it left off, means you have to FF to that spot – very time-consuming if it’s a long programme. A workaround is to extend the recording time when you first press the record button. That way you will be able to "catch up" before the recording ends. Another possible workaround is to tune to the channel that you're recording before you view the recording. This MAY prevent you from getting "kicked out".

Not Present 16. Other nice features would be things like "seasons pass", searching for actors or themes, etc.

Resolved - by inference. STB shows "output format" - if you enable all formats and use passthrough, input = output, similar to SA3250HD. If you go into the diagnostics, one of the last pages shows the input format 17. A display of the inputformat (i.e. 1080i, 720P, 480i/p)

Not Resolved, need to hit "play", then "jump back" 18. If you hit the "jump back 10 seconds" button directly from FF, the next time you press FF, you will get the "next speed" rather than the first FF speed (4X). As though the STB "remembers" the previous FF speed. Any intervening actions will likely "reset" the FF speed.

Not Present 19. The HDD currently leaves "some space" when it stops recording scheduled programmes. Some people would like the option to have the HDD fill completely, even if it means you don't have a "buffer" when you turn on the unit - it gives you this "warning". (I don't see this as a big issue actually)

Resolved 20. EuroNews video freezes when recording another digital channel.

New Issues:

21. If you select the "this time slot" option, you're only allowed one identical programme on that channel per day. If the programme is on again on the same day and if you try to record it also, using the "this time slot" option, the first schedule will be deleted. I noticed this when I had the unit set to record Daily Planet at 12PM, then set another for 7PM. The 12PM one was deleted and supplanted with the 7PM one.

22. There is no "weekly" option for recordings (unless you use the manual recording)

23. Power Save Mode shutting down unit at inconvenient times? (around 1:10AM) This happens if the unit is "on". This doesn't seem to affect recordings at that time, if the unit is "off". If you press a button while watching, then the unit no longer goes into powersave. (Resolved)

24. The remote seems to have a very minor "lag" before the unit does what you ask.

25. Numerous reports of Pixellation (not macroblocking). Still attempting to ascertain if there's a "pattern". (Rogers has admitted there is an issue and that they are working on it.) Issue Resolved

26. If you have recording "conflicts" (3 recordings at the same time due to an "all episode" or "this timeslot" scheduled recording) the unit will not advise you of the conflict and you may lose one, or more recordings.

27. If you press "Stop" when watching a previously recorded programme, the unit will "start" again after 5 minutes - perhaps a "screen saver". Use the "pause" button instead - it'll stay paused for 1 hour.

Resolved 28. You can now change channels when in the guide and the guide will stay on and you'll remain on the original channel. (This used to change channels and kick you out of the guide).

29. After FF, there may be a brief time that there is audio, but no video movement while the unit "synchs" the sound and video. Good news is that the sound is not out of synch, unless the problem is "upstream".

30. Occasionally you may not be able to add a new recording - the IPG item will not turn red and there will not be a new scheduled recording. Usually a reboot will solve the issue. I usually wait an hour or so after the reboot to ensure more of the IPG information has downloaded.

31. When using the Copy to VCR function, do not watch another prerecorded programme. If you do, the audio to the VCR will "stop", when you stop the other prerecorded programme...

Other Comments:

- buttons on front of unit seem "cheap".
- unit can output in HD and SD (S-video for example) at the same time.
- the HDD now shuts down completely a while after you turn the unit off, it is completely quiet.

See the following Tips & Tricks for the STB:

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17749

·
Registered
462 Posts
A defective unit?

OK, I have stumbled across a couple of new quirks...but I believe these are indicative of a defective unit.

1. When left in the power off (stand by) condition and my LG hdtv turned off, the 8300HD will display the message 'TV is not HDCP compliant, use component cables'. In order to fix the glitch, I have to unplug the 8300HD and reboot it (I have not found a way to reboot without doing this).

2. When booting up from a power disconnect, the STB seems to take several minutes to reach a point were it will accept commands from the remote...and even longer to play or record video. I suspect potential hard disk spin up glitches, but I'm not sure.

Any advice? Or should I just bring this unit back for a swap?

Thanks,

Mike Flynn

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
1. One should always turn the TV on first so that the "handshake" between the TV and STB occurs properly.

2. See the Digital Home FAQ on "Tips for SA STBs". There are reboot instructions in there.

3. Rogers doesn't officially support DVI, so don't expect any help from them. If DVI works, fine, if not, come here for assistance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
57 said:
1. One should always turn the TV on first so that the "handshake" between the TV and STB occurs properly.
I will keep that in mind...thanks.

3. Rogers doesn't officially support DVI, so don't expect any help from them. If DVI works, fine, if not, come here for assistance.
Actually, I did find a 'fix'. All I have to do is unplug the hdmi cable and reconnect it to the STB. It appears that while the TV is off, the STB can't verify its hdcp compliance so it displays the error.

The trouble is that once the TV is turned on again, the stb does not detect the change. The only way I have found to get the STB to test again is to unplug the hdmi from the STB (as indicated).

DVI (via hdmi) works very well. But I need to do a few more test to tell whether or not its really all that different that component. One thing is certain: if I can't find a better way of correcting this inconvenient glitch, the STB will find permanent residence on the component lines...while my DVD player will go back to DVI.

On another note: I finally figured out how to enter the service menu on the lg 45nz60...and I managed to manually adjust convergence on a much larger number of points. I'll post all that on the LG forum when I get a chance.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 8300 still has audio glitches during mostly black scenes such as during Law & Order.

I tried recording the CFL eastern final and the preview show Friday night as I was out. I was using the digital version of CBC Ottawa at 808 for a better picture. (As it turns out that channel was not working at the time which may have caused the following problem) When I got home I turned it on and attempted to rewind and watch it before it ended. It would not let me rewind, I went into the scheduled recordings and clicked stop recording and save. Both the football game and preview show which were separate events dissapeared from the list.

·
Registered
322 Posts
new 8003hd

just exhanged mine 5 minutes - quick question since I have not had time to set up yet- do we go to the same set up menues used on the 8000 toc configure the various formats etc

thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
The setup wizard is the same, but you need to press the settings button TWICE to configure the STB for "picture formats" - Passthrough, upconvert1, etc).

See the Digital Home FAQ on SA STB Tips - it works like the SA3250HD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys just got home with my new 8300 hd still in the box . made the switch with no problems(8000 HD) and the csr was more than happy to exchange it,he said" we have 7 boxes right now and no room in the shelves to keep them all" no problem, so I took one off his hands.
lisa street location brampton dixie road and queen :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Question:

If I'm recording a show that goes from 9:00-10:00, but I want to start watching the show from the beginning at 9:15, is there any way to start watching it from the beginning, without having to manually rewind? Because by doing this, it spoils what's happening now.

Case in point, NFL. If I start watching the game late, and manually rewind, then my eye has already caught the score and ruined that part of the game that I missed.

Any help?

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Nope, see item 15 in post 10, which discussed two issues...

You could avert your eyes...

Basically, it's best to watch another programme that has finished recording and then watch "this" programme, when it's finished.

1 - 20 of 1318 Posts