Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several differently intoned conversations with Rogers CS, I resign to connect my new SA 8300 with component cables. Rogers official line has always, and continues to be, "We do not support HDMI." I find this unfortunate having just moved from NY where Time Warner provides the same box and provides support for HDMI. I've never had any HDCP issues before with a brand new Panny 42 600U Plasma.

Has anyone who has a working HDMI connection compared the quality between HDMI and the component connections?

I am very disappointed in Rogers, but that seems to be expected now.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Hello and WELCOME to the DHC Forums:

Yes, Rogers does not officially support HDMI, but the port is active and many people have used it with no problem. You shouldn't have a problem with your Panasonic Plasma either.

Regarding the difference between Component and HDMI, please take the time to read 57s FAQ re: Cables & Connections, here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17716

Also, please do take the time to read the other FAQs from the Help pulldown menu on the blue bar near the top of the page.

·
Super Moderator
56,460 Posts
1. Please read the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "DVI/HDMI Information" points 2 & 3 regarding HDMI vs CV.

2. Although Rogers doesn't officially support HDMI (I don't believe TW officially supports it either) there have been very few issues with people connecting the SA8300HD to an HDMI equipped HDTV - ie "everyone" gets it working.

See the Digital Home FAQs (under help) "Tips for SA STBs" & "What you need to do to your new HDTV"

Make sure you turn on the TV first and properly run the advanced setup wizard.

Just as an FYI, I've set up quite a number of TVs and have seen little/no difference between CV and HDMI when properly calibrated.

·
Registered
833 Posts
8300HD and HDMI problems - swapping your box may help!

Hi folks,

I thought I'd pass this on since we still see a lot of people reporting issues with the SA8300HD boxes and HDMI.

My troubles started back in July when I bought an Optoma H78DC3 projector from Costco. The Optoma only had a DVI input but it was supposedly HDCP compliant and it even came with a DVI-HDMI adapter. However, when I tried to get it to work with the 8300HD it didn't work at all. It wasn't complaining about HDCP - it simply wouldn't detect the resolutions properly (1080i was detected as 36 x 1080, 720p was 1282 x 720, etc). I did some searching and found a few other reports on other forums with people having the exact same problem with that combination so I gave up and went with component connections instead.

A few months later I ended up returning the projector to Costco because of some flaky issues (that model had a reputation for such problems but I took my chances because I knew I could return it to Costco without difficulty). I then bought a Sanyo PLV-Z5 projector instead which is a brand new model that came out late in 2006 and has 2 HDMI connections built-in. This time I figured HDMI should work fine being a new model and all but I was disappointed to find that again it didn't work. However, this time the failure was different. It detected the resolution fine but the image would cycle between picture-snow-picture-snow every second or two. Very strange. Again, I settled for the component connections.

Shortly after that I bought a Panasonic TH-50PH9UK plasma TV for the family room and decided to give it a try with the 8300HD and HDMI but it too had the same problem as the Z5 - picture-snow-picture-snow. Now I was getting suspicious and thought there may be something wrong with the 8300HD itself so over the Christmas break I decided to try swapping it with a new box. Note that I have to give Rogers credit for this - swapping it was a very painless process. I called the local Rogers cable centre, told them my box was flaky and asked if I could swap it out. They said no problem, bring it in. I brought it in, they scanned the barcode, updated their computer, had me sign a receipt and they handed me a new box, no questions asked. Took maybe a minute.

So, I got the new box home, hooked it up and voila! - HDMI works fine with both the Panasonic plasma and the Sanyo projector. Therefore, it seems there are times where there is some sort of physical issue with the 8300HD itself. I checked the manufacture date on the box and it was very new - 12/14/2006. I also checked the firmware and it is running the same old 1.87 firmware.

Anyway, for those of you with HDMI problems this is something worth considering. However, don't get your hopes up too much - in most cases I doubt this would help. For instance, if you're getting an HDCP error message then I highly doubt it's a problem with the box and most likely an incompatibility with your TV. But in other cases it may be worth a try, especially if your 8300HD is an older unit (mine was about 1.5 years old).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your fast responses. I've been able to identify my problem as my Yamaha V1600 Receiver. I've read about similar difficulties involving "Handshake" and receivers:

When using a receiver to switch HDMI signals, they implement part of the standard called a HDCP repeater that enables the receiver to pass the authentication request to the end point (in this case, my TV). The TV sends the HDCP response back to the receiver, and it in turn sends it back to the SA box. However, because SA have not implemented the HDMI HDCP standard correctly, it does not understand how to process it and displays the HDCP error message.

For now, my solution is to plug the HDMI cable directly from STB to the TV and connect the Optical Sound Cable from the STB to my receiver...
I'm confused why this works, since many posts on the site mention NOT to plug conflicting cables in to the STB, but... WHATEVER it works.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
CnstntNrg, we welcome new members to the forum, however we ask that in future you search before posting since your question has been asked and answered many times before.

To all newcomers, this thread has been stuck in order for new 8300HD owners to post any questions about HDMI problems.

In future, new threads on the topic will be deleted.

·
Super Moderator
56,460 Posts
You didn't mention that you were going through an AVR in your first post. Had you provided that information, we could have told you that the current version of Firmware with Rogers is incompatible with HDMI AVRs. Searching for HDMI Receivers would have found many previous threads on the topic.

Future firmware versions MAY solve that issue.

As far as conflicting cables goes, that relates to video like component video and HDMI and even then, mostly for troubleshooting, or if you're having issues.

The way you have it connected is fine and is the only way to get DD5.1 sound to the AVR and to use HDMI for the video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
HDMI weirdness

I am new owner of a 8300 box connected through HDMI to my Hitachi plasma display. For the last 7 days (when I received it) everything has worked great. Last night, when I turned on the TV, the picture was very choppy - parts of the image would be being overlayed on top of the main picture in random spots for a split second at a time - it was as though a sync signal was screwed up. Note that this was on every channel. As well, the TV knew something was wrong and would reboot itself every 20 seconds or so. I tried unplugging the TV for a couple of minutes with no success.

I then connected the 8300 to the TV through the component jacks and unplugged the HDMI cable and everything worked perfectly.

The last thing I tried was physically unplugging the 8300 (I had tried the soft power switch several times with no luck). After re-powering up the 8300, the HDMI connection again worked perfectly. This clearly identifies the 8300 as the culprit.

Has anyone else seen this before? Is it possible it has something to do with the sequence I powered everything up? (I am not sure if I changed the sequence this time or not but I tried cycling the soft power switches several times on both the TV and 8300).

On a side note, I noticed that when HDMI is plugged in and working, the component output of the 8300 is turned off - is there some setting to change this?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
bmac.to:

What you could have been experiencing was that your HDMI connection was not properly seated (or has unseated themselves after a week) into the connection ports of both your TV and your STB. This is a known issue that can happen since the HDMI connections are not very firm. That is why when you re-connected the HDMI, everything was working again. It is recommended that you do this every once-in-awhile to make sure that your connections are tight and well-seated.

As for the Component output turning off when the HDMI connection is being used, that is normal. The STB can send an HD signal downstream with either the HDMI cable or the Component, but not at the same time. However, the SD outputs (Composite and S-Video) are always active and on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cyclism,

Thanks for the reply. As it turns out, while I was trying to determine what was causing the problem, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV and plugged it into a second HDMI port on the TV with identical results - the same screwed up image. I even tried reconnecting the HDMI cable on the 8300. The only thing that fixed the problem was removing the power cable from the 8300 and then restarting it.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,460 Posts
A cold reboot is often recommended if there are issues with the Sa8300HD. This is standard operating procedure. See the Digital Home FAQs (under help)

- Tips for SA STBs
- What you need to do to your new HDTV
- DVI/HDMI Information
- Things to check first.
- Etc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have encountered an HDMI problem with 8300HD

My first PVR (which I got in March 05) had a problem with it's HDMI port. Basically it would display the picture, but all colors are shades of green (no such problem with Component).

I contacted Rogers and they suggested various things (including basics like complete shutdown reboot, checking connections, order in which to turn things on and off) that didn't fix the problem (they were helpful and never indicated that Rogers does not officially support HDMI - something I read in another thread).

They suggested that it might be HDMI cable, the TV or box and suggested that I check with FutureShop (it was only a week after purchasing the TV so it was easy enough to go back and talk to the sales person since I could still return everything for a full refund - the PVR was of course rented).

FutureShop sales person did indicated that in rare cases, they have heard about defective HDMI ports on the 8300HD (has anyone heard of this?) and offered to test my PVR on a similar TV at the store using the same HDMI cable. Sure enough, the problem was in fact the PVR (tested another no problems). At which point, Rogers replaced my PVR with no hassles and sure enough the new one I got worked fine (and almost 2 years later still works fine) with HDMI.

I have since got a second 8300HD and my parents have 2 of them. All using HDMI. None had this problem.

Not sure if this was a one in a million defect or what, or if anyone has heard or experienced this problem, but I thought I would share this info in case anyone encounters this issue in the future

·
Registered
256 Posts
Updated two days ago in Mississauga to the 1.89 s/w (I also did a cold reboot because of the following issue)

Under the old firmware, going from 480i broadcast channels to either 720p or 1080i or 720p to 1080i my TV (Sony Wega XBR800) the picture will occassionally flicker and in some cases will not stop flickering unless I tune to a 480i broadcast.

With the new firmware the problem is even more persistant and annoying to the point where I fear it may damage my TV over the long term.

I'm connected to the TV through an HDMI cable with a DVI dongle and I've checked the connections multiple times. Would a HDMI to DVI cable resolve this issue?

NefCanuck

·
Registered
142 Posts
When I connect with HDMI, there is some image retention on my Samsung 46" LCD TV. If I connect with component video cables, everything is fine. Someone said that it is because HDMI has much higher "gain" than component video. I don't know what that means. Is there a way to adjust the "gain" when connecting through HDMI? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,460 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Error: Your HDTV does not support HDCP.. Help!

Hello,

Newbie here with very limited experience in the HDTV world. I purchased a 42inch plasma last boxing week sale, it is a Norcent EDTV from Futureshop. I have the Explorer 8300 HD PVR, which I have had for about a year.

I've been using Component imputs on the t.v. with success, but I recently purchased a Xbox 360 and want to run it via Component, and run DVI into the t.v. When I hook up a HDMI to DVI cable on the box, it loads up the programming guide, then gives me this warning on all chanels:

"Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please disconnect the HDMI connecter and use the component connection to continue watching t.v."

I've been looking for hours on this forum for someone with the same problem, as I'm sure its common, but I can't find anything. Is this a television issue, or a box issue, and is there a way around it?

I've tried going through the settings, upconverting to dvi/hdmi, and the likes, but I can't get anything to change. The audio is pumping out fine through fiber optic cable, so I can hear that the stations are coming through, and there is video, just this dang warning.

All help is apriciated!! Thanks!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Dave, welcome to the forums. I have moved your post into this thread and left a redirect for you. As you can see in this thread, its a common issue. (there are many other threads discussing) - Cheers, Hugh

·
Super Moderator
56,460 Posts
Please provide us with the model number of your Norcent EDTV. Since it has a DVI input it many not be HDCP compliant. Check your specs in the operating manual to see if it says DVI-HDCP. If not, you MAY be out of luck and may have to purchase a component video switch.

However, have you checked the following post on setting up the STB? By enabling ONLY 480P STANDARD (or 480i STANDARD) in the Advanced setup wizard, then you may be able to use the HDMI connection (since you won't be sending an HD signal). Since you have an EDTV, the signal will not be degraded in any way.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

·
Registered
3 Posts
SA 8300HD - which version of HDMI is it compatible with?

I've read in the forum that Rogers officially doesn't support HDMI but does anyone happen to know which version of HDMI the 8300 HD is compatible with, i.e 1.0, 1.1, 1.2a???

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Periodic external drive disconnection

Have been for several month using an exteral drive to increase space. It is a 500 gig Western digital sata II drive. Recently when first turning on the box, I find the space available is way down, indicating the ext. drive is not active. I have rebooted the box and disconnected the drive several times but the problem resurfaces. Any suggestions? I swapped it into my other box but a message came up wanting to format this drive. I thougt it could be swapped but apparently no dice.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts