Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is related to the new firmware upgrade, but I thought I'd ask for your opinions.

This morning when we got up, the cable box (SA8300 SD) seems to be stuck in a loop. On the lcd display, it flashes:

Proc
Upgr
boot
-̪̪nu- (the 'n' is more like an upside down 'u' that is superscript, and the 'u' is subscript)
Fr.la
then goes into rXXX countdown (numbers and letters)

After the countdown finishes, it starts all over again. It's been repeating this process for well over an hour now...thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
This happened to me. I had to unplug the PVR for a few seconds before the firmware took hold. Also, make sure the connections for the cable are secure. I made sure to unplug during the BOOT stage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jake, I tried your suggestion and am still stuck in this continuous loop, 3 hours later :confused: I'm beginning to think the box is euchred...

I have a tech visit scheduled for tonight, but since this is an SD PVR (given to us on a free-for-life pvr promo when we signed up with Rogers last fall), I'm anticipating they will not have one on the truck to replace it with. Going to try my luck with our local Rogers store this aft...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Thats interesting, are you saying its an 8300 and not an 8300HD unit? Or it just an 8300HD that they gave you and you don't use the HD feature? Not many still around with just the 8300 non-HD model, and maybe the new firmware isn't compatable...???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an 8300 non-HD model. Not sure if it's even related to the new firmware, but seems strange that this is happening as the new update is being rolled out.

OTOH, we've only had this unit plugged in for two days, as we had an 8300HD free for one year, on which the promo just ended...so we dug this one out, and it seemed to be working fine until this morning.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Any time that a STB has not been connected to the system for some time (usually about 3-4 weeks), it may work for a short while, but then require reauthorization. Have your S/N handy and call Rogers for a "hit" (reactivation).

Sometimes reactivation via the call in automatic process or via the Rogers website will also resolve such issues. I don't think this has anything to do with the new firmware, so I've moved this to its own thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 57 for your reply. I had called Rogers and they said they were unable to communicate with the box, which is part of the reason why they arranged for a tech to come out.

After watching it go through the process for over 6 hours, I took it to the local Rogers store who happened to have an 8300 SD in stock, swapped it out and problem resolved. I kept my tech appointment for that night anyway, the tech guys said that it probably was trying to update but it just "didn't take". They checked my signal strength, etc while they were here and everything is ok.

So for now, I'm back up and running, albeit on the older firmware. A bit nervous for when the firmware is pushed out to this new box though; hopefully it will go smoothly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts