121 - 140 of 1014 Posts

·
Banned
167 Posts
SuperGoop's Step By Step Part 1

You'll need a Torx10 Security Bit:

Remove the 3 Torx10 Security Screws from the back:

Then remove the cover:

Remove the 2 regular Torx screws holding the cross-bar and then remove the 8 regular Torx screws holding the side panel:

·
Banned
167 Posts
Part 2

Slide the side panel out just enough to remove the 4 Philips screws (top) holding the HDD to the top bracket. Unplug the ribbon and power cable. Notice the purple "warranty void" sticker. Fortunately, this can be lifted (carefully) without damage. Someone said that the acid from your finger will change the sticker to "void". I haven't noticed this but didn't look closely either. To be safe, you can wear gloves or wrap some tape around your fingertips:

Slide the side panel out all the way. The HDD is still attached to the side panel, but is now detached from the top bracket. The "warranty void" stick is undamaged. With the HDD out, you can now easily remove the top bracket:

Remove the 3 Philips screws holding the HDD to the side panel. Here is a picture of the original 160GB Maxtor drive. Notice there is a layer of grey gooey substance (perhaps to minimize vibrations):

Here is the original 160GB Maxtor beside my new 500GB Western Digital HDD (WD5000AAKB). Look at your original 160 HDD and notice it is set to "Cable Select". Duplicate this pin setting on your new HDD:

Finally, reverse the procedure with the new 500GB HDD and put everything back together. Hookup your TV cable, your video and power and turn it on. It will reboot several times automatically and in about 15 mins, you should see the clock again. You are now finished. Since the "warranty void" sticker is undamaged, this mod is completely reversible (as far as I can tell).

Disclaimer: This procedure will void your warranty and may damage your hardware and/or software. Proceed at your own risk. Obviously, do not attempt this procedure if you do not own the equipment (e.g. rental units).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will A Seagate 500GB IDE drive work for the replacement hard drive as well? The reason I ask is I am having difficulty finding the WD5000AAKB. TIA.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have not seen any reports of Seagate being used, likely because of the poor record of these drives being used as externals. The WD was unavailable for a month or two, but they are available again. Do an internet search for an outlet near you or try Canada Computers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another Success

Just wanted to say that I am now an internal drive upgrade convert as well...thanks to Ghost and Supergoop, I have successfully exchanged my internal drive on my 8300HD to 500GB (WD5000AAKB)...I had done the external drive option but took it all back as I found the "low level hum" noise too loud for my setup...for me, I like this way much better...and it is still triple the space I had before...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just thought I'd throw out a "me too" note; just did the upgrade tonight.
If anyone is having trouble finding the security torx bit, I found that if I ground the end of a regular torx bit square (it normally a bit rounded), I got just enough bite to undo the screws without any problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just did my conversion last nite using WD5000AAKB and instructions posted here. Everything went flawlessly, so far no problems recording stuff.
I had external HD before with occasional problems, looks like internal upgrade is a lot better, PQ wise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I did the conversion as noted above last night with all the same components used in the example. I replaced the drive because I was getting the error indicating that it could not access the HDD. The swap was easy thanks to the instructions. Unfortunately, I didn't read the posts that suggested that you need to wait 45 to 50 mins. After about 20 mins I couldn't hear the hdd engaged, and the clock hadn't started, so I tried to access the guide and eventually cold booted the machine (there was no activity at the time). I continue to get an error saying that it can't read the drive. Have I messed things up completely? Is there anyway to start over (do I need to reformat the drive?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Maybe the original problem was not with the drive (HDD) but with the box itself (interface to the drive).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD Seagate internal drive

Hi,
I purchased a Seagate SV35.2 500GB designed for 24x7 operation with 1 000 000 hours MTBF and optimized for video applications. I installed this HDD in my SA8300HD and it is working perfectly. I have no more pixelization and my drive is quieter, faster and more reliable. I recommend this drive to everyone!
Note: the original drive was a western digital caviar WD1600.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Western Digital A/V HDDs

Months ago, like Meo I was reluctant to put a standard PC HDD in my PVR and tried to locate an A/V drive in Canada. Lots of searching the Net and phone calls. Finally found the Western Digital WD3200AVJB which I have installed in mine and my sons PVRs. Although lots of people have reported no problem with 500G drives, at the time of my purchase the 500G were 3 platter not 2 like the original (and likely current 500s) and I had some concern about increased electrical load and noise. These WD A/V drives have been working flawlessly for months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the pics Ghost! It really made this an easy swap. I also have been running with an external drive and experiencing occasional glitches. The internal drive has been running well for a few days now. I also used the WD5000AAKB drive.

Picked up a 7 piece torx tamperproof set at Princess Auto for $2.49 that included the required T10 bit. Item number is 8024283 if anyone is looking for it in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I followed Ghost's instruction for replacing the internal hard drive which worked perfectly. I did not want to lose all of my settings and recording so I created a drive image. Here is what I did.

1. Removed the old Western Digital 160GB IDE drive and installed it into my
computer

2. Installed the new drive into my computer, a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB IDE drive.

Note: you may need to set one of the drives to master and the other to slave to get this working. Be sure to set them back to CS (Cable Select) before you reinstall into the 8300HD.

3. I used [email protected] Disk Image version 3.1.5 to create a clone

4. The software has the option of creating a boot image. (ISO) So I created a bootable CD using this image.

5. I booted the CD and chose the clone option.

6. I selected the 160GB as the source and the 320GB as the destination and started the copy.

The copy took about 2.5 hours as it does a sector by sector copy. Once completed I installed the new 320GB drive into the 8300HD and it booted right up. My free space went from 80% in use to 40% in use. I would imagine that Symantec Ghost would also work but I did not try it.

I do own my 8300HD so I was not worried about voiding the warranty. Use these instructions at your own risk! I would recommend reading this entire threat before attempting this upgrade.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glad all of you made it from the dark external side to the quiet internal upgrade. ;)

Thanks for the pics ghost. Nice addon PDub. Great to know disk image is feasible.

·
Banned
167 Posts
It's nice to see that you can clone HDD, I always thought its not possible because of encryption (was reaing somewhere about this), so I didn't even try to copy my old one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
clone external drive?

I bought a 500 gig external eSATA drive (forget which one right now) and once it reached about 80% I started getting under runs. So I bought a 1 TB external drive

I have seen people doing CLONES of internal drives for software reasons. Will I be able to clone my 500 to the 1 TB and save my shows or are they going to be toast?

Thanks.

Chris

121 - 140 of 1014 Posts