Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two SA3250HDs (and one SA3200) connected to my HTPC. All of these boxes were purchased several years ago.

In the last week or two I noticed that pretty much every day one of these 3250 boxes would powered off and when turned on it was on channel 1. Today I happened to be in front of the box when it happened as I heard a click, like a relay flipping, and the box was rebooting. The other two boxes were fine. All boxes have been in this same configuration for about two years.

Anyone seen this before? I will check the power cables to make sure that it is properly seated at either end but any other ideas? Could it be a power supply issue? Is it worth trying to fix it?

·
Registered
550 Posts
My 8300HD PVR has been rebooting every five minutes for about an hour. Maybe it's them. It's been glitchy since the IPG update.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The Auto-HD was rolled out in the GTA recently. That may have contributed. The Auto-HD firmware may have been rolled out to your various STBs at various times this week. I got mine today.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
When your box came back on, did any of the channels show up as solid-green? That's what happened to my 3250 yesterday or the day before. I also thought it may have something to do with Auto-HD but, so far, no Auto-HD here (Ottawa).

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't seen the solid green but this box is only used to record so I haven't surf the channels on it. What channels were you getting in solid green, any pattern - like only HD channels.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It was a few channels in the low range (3-Global was one of them). It's all back to normal, and from the other thread apparently Auto-HD is now available in my area. Maybe it was related.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see any green channels or other issues but I continue to get the box rebooting at least once per day. Any know if it is worth trying to replace the power supply, or should I just replace the box?

The only issue there is that I prefer 3250HDs for this purpose rather than 4250HDs as I have had more success getting firewire drivers to work on the 3250 and these are getting hard to find. (I use firewire for channel changing since it is more reliable than IR blasting). I probably could get the 4250s working with a it of troubleshooting but I never bothered since I had a couple of 3250s and they are ideal in this application since I only need component outputs.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as an update - this box is now totally dead. I am not sure if it is even worth trying to repair as you cneed special tools to even take off the cover.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just as an update - this box is now totally dead. I am not sure if it is even worth trying to repair as you cneed special tools to even take off the cover.
Try 'The Cable Shoppe' on Birchmount Road. It is a good sized, sophisticated operation that repairs cable boxes and high speed modems.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx - I only paid $100 for this so I wonder if it is worth bothering, although now you seem to pay a lot more for these boxes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I saw my 3200 receive several updates in the past 2 or 3 weeks (message "updating, please wait" or something like that) and as of yesterday it shuts down on me every 30 minutes or so. I bought the unit for my bedroom SD TV about two years ago so it shouldn't be dead yet. Is there anything that new Rogers firmware doesn't mess up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts