Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My parents have two SA3250HD's, and when I went over to visit this weekend they mentioned both their TV's started flickering. They seem to have the occasional half screen flashes of white noise. I currently have their TV's hooked up using DVI.

It looks like they recently got the firmware update on their STB's (looks like a November 24th firmware). So I'm suspecting it has something to do with the firmware.

I've changed the cables for good measure, but as I suspected no difference.

Component output is fine (ie no flickering), so the signal decoding is fine on the STB's. The DVI output seems broken now.

Anyone else having these issues?

·
Super Moderator
56,560 Posts
The flickering may be related to an update if the update has enabled more than one output format - say 480i, 720P, 1080i instead of say 1080i fixed. The "white screen" or flickering is fairly common when switching formats.

Tune to a 1080i channel, go into the settings - Set Picture Format, and choose Fixed. Also do a cold reboot - unplug, wait 10 seconds, replug, wait 5 minutes.

Also, check signal strength and S/N ratio:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Similar thread, different STB...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=133015&highlight=flicker*

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked those forums. Doesn't seem to help.

I've checked the signal strength for good measure, but the flickering doesn't look like MPEG errors, nor does it look like the video mode attempting to switch.

I've tried setting the picture format to fixed, and doing the cold reboot. I also tried restricting all display modes to 1080i.

My parents called Rogers and they had the gall to say it's their TVs and they should call to get them repaired. Yeah, the same problem shows up on two seperate models of TVs but with the same STB and they say it's the TV. Blu-Ray player, and PS/3 don't have issues with the same HDMI inputs.

Any resonable person would think all issues point to the STBs.

Anyone else have a SA3250HD hooked up thru DVI?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Verify if its possible hdmi/dvi handshake issue by trying comps. If that resolvs the issue then try reseting both by unplugging tv - box, then plugging back in the same sequence. Hope that helps

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried various sequences of unplugging and plugging in the TV and STBs.

I can't switch my parent's TV to component since they don't have any component inputs left. I'll see if I can get Rogers to upgrade them to newer HD STB's.

Thanks,
SLam

·
Registered
20 Posts
slam_to, have you figured out a solution to this? I've been having the exact same issue with my 3250HD using a DVI to HDMI cable, which started around the same time as your parents (after that update).

So far the only thing I've been able to figure out is that it only seems to happen when the format is set to either 720p or 1080i.

I would just switch to the component outputs and forget about DVI, but for some reason the picture I get while using component is garbage and no where near close to HD.

·
Super Moderator
56,560 Posts
for some reason the picture I get while using component is garbage and no where near close to HD.
Each TV input is different and a proper calibration of the CV input should make it look as good (or very close) to HDMI. Here's the optimization thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

I assume you own the STB, because if not, upgrade it for another.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up exchanging the boxes for brand one ones (I forget the model name, but it's the current ones that Rogers carries).

All the suggestions in the other threads talking about picture sizing, output mode, scaling and such did not work, it was an incompatability with the DVI output. The DVI output is not supported by Rogers, and they only support the use of the component output from that box.

Just walk into a Rogers and ask them to exchange it for the new boxes, and hook it up thru HDMI.

·
Super Moderator
56,560 Posts
Just as an FYI, I had my 3250 connected via DVI for several years without issue. When I upgraded to an 8300, I sold it to a client who's also using DVI to his TV. The latest STB is 4642, although there may be some 4250s hanging around - both have HDMI.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=128505

As mentioned above, Rogers may not troubleshoot DVI though...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the TV's at my parent's place hooked up with DVI for years a well, but they started up act up (as mentioned in the first post). I have a friend who has a Sony TV I believe, and DVI still works fine for him as well (with the 3250HD).

I did not have another TV or DVI monitor that had HDCP to test other things out. Both TV's were Sharp Aquous of the same generation.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
DVI is broken

I have now encountered this issue with my 3250HD. It's been working fine for years, and then recently it's started flickering. I also get occasional sparklies.

It's the type of error one gets when there is a bad cable. So, I tried using a different cable, different HDMI inputs, and even a different TV. I still get the same problem.

Basically, this unit's DVI port appears to be failing.

Now I need to buy a new 8642HD or 4642HD, but Rogers charges so @#$% much for them, at least in comparison to Videotron.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Interesting issue, I myself have two 3250HD's and they seem to be operating correctly, are you sure it is the unit itself?, if it is, why not just use component, I personally do not see a difference between the two since it doesn't go past 720P and 1080i anyways, just my input on the matter

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
This was on my projector setup, and I've tried new cables and a different HDMI port with the same result. I even tried it direct to two other TVs with the same result, so it's definitely the unit.

I am using component now, but on a different TV. I don't have another component input on my projector setup. I'm not keen on using component on it though, because with certain display devices there seems to be red push over component, and the contrast is off. Furthermore, I'm seeing interlacing artifacts on some material with both 720p and 1080i using component, but I didn't see them before using 1080i over DVI.

BTW, off topic but I tried using my old 3100 on the guest TV, but for the life of me I cannot get audio out of it, not even out of the cable RF output. If I plug the cable in directly from the wall to the TV, I get audio. However, I plug it in from the 3100, I get video only. I've tried the analogue audio outputs too. I've tried going through a bunch of the settings but can't figure it out. I'm wondering if it's just busted, but maybe I'm just missing something.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I know this is a bit off topic but all keep this post simple, I would suggest you try messing around with the audio settings in the settings window, I am not sure how your 3100 settings looks but I am sure its similar to the 3200 menu system and a quick jump around in those settings should bring you back to life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts