Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
For those on a beer budget, you can also split the component out with three dollar store y-jacks. Toslink audio and both RCA audio will work at the same time.

Works for me but I have noticed some ghosting on the letters of the program guide so I have ordered some better quality splitters from ebay that I hope will resolve.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard of any installations of the multi room SA units, anywhere? Even info on our neighbours to the South to see what their experience has been like.

Have any of the people that saw the channel 951 listed as a possible PVR MR access channel seen or heard anything else yet?

I'm probably on the bottom of a long list of possible subscribers to the service when it arrives.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Multi Room PVR

I have finally gotten some information about the Multi Room PVR and Rogers Cable. As you can see from the following email from Rogers, there is no time frame.

Oh well, the wait continues.

reply from Rogers

Rogers contact at Scientific Atlanta has asked us to speak to you in regards to the SA 8300HD multi-room terminal. We have begun testing for the multi- room PVR with both our Engineering and Customer Operations departments participating. We are determined to launch this product but the testing process is still in its early stages. I cannot tell you a date when we will release the multi-room terminal to our customers as it is just too early in the test process but we are all quite enthusiastic about this product.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks Peterweb.

Since you actually got information out of Rogers instead of the standard "I don't know"...could you ask that person if they know anything about the 1.88 firmware for the 8300?

thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like they might be releasing the MultiRoom DVR soon, I just noticed that they have renamed channel 951 as MRDVR, I'm assuming they're going to use it as the playback channel.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Jason, that channel has been MRDVR for a long time.

See this thread from last October.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm hoping someone here will be able to answer. If you currently have an SA8300HD box, will it be upgradeable via software (whenever Rogers launches) so that it will function as the MultiRoom Server? Or will you need totally new hardware?

Thanks
Vager

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Is there any hope that this will ever happen? I have been holding out from buying the 8300HD in thinking that the multi-room version will come out and I will buy it. Getting tired of waiting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Testing Multi-Room PVR in Rogers Store

Just a little update, not sure if this is old news or not...

Last night I went to the newly renovated Rogers Video / Cable store in Orleans to replace my 8300HD.

I decided to ask the salesperson about the Multi-Room PVR and 1.88 firmware. He said the nothing about the firmware release, but he did say that they are testing the Multi-Room PVR in the store right now. I did not have time to ask him to demo it (kids waiting for dinner).

Not sure what this means for a release timeline, but testing it in-store is a good thing I would think...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Keith, Interesting.

Does anyone know if the MRDVR requires 1.88. I now have tow 8300HD's so I don't need it but I would love to have the firmware update!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm hoping someone here will be able to answer. If you currently have an SA8300HD box, will it be upgradeable via software (whenever Rogers launches) so that it will function as the MultiRoom Server? Or will you need totally new hardware?
The Multi-room support requires both a firmware and hardware upgrade. The boxes Rogers is using now are 8300HD. In order to have multi-room, you need an 8300HDM.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The Multi-room support requires both a firmware and hardware upgrade. The boxes Rogers is using now are 8300HD. In order to have multi-room, you need an 8300HDM.
Has this ever been confirmed though? The hardware in both boxes appears to be identical. It could be a case of SA selling the 8300HDM as a separate SKU at a price-premium...but I don't believe there are any real technical hurdles to switch between them.

And I'm basing the 'identical' hardware off the last information I grabbed from SA's site, that very well may have changed, or been clarified since I checked.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Has this ever been confirmed though? The hardware in both boxes appears to be identical. It could be a case of SA selling the 8300HDM as a separate SKU at a price-premium...but I don't believe there are any real technical hurdles to switch between them.
I've got an 8300HDM in my hands here at work. On the back panel, it has two PS/2 style serial connectors and an ethernet port above the SATA and two firewire ports. These ports are not present on a standard 8300HD.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've got an 8300HDM in my hands here at work. On the back panel, it has two PS/2 style serial connectors and an ethernet port above the SATA and two firewire ports. These ports are not present on a standard 8300HD.
Very cool. Thanks for the clarification. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Correction

OK.After a quick conversation with our SA headend guy -- I'm more of a Moto guy -- I take back this earlier statement. Those ports are because that particular set-top is a dev box. However, the 8300HDM set-tops have a small QAM built into them which the 8300HD boxes don't have. When you setup multi-room (which we've done here), you require a Splitter Isolation Module (SIM) provided by SA. The RF feed comes into the house and into the SIM which in turn has four RF connections. You wire one connector to your 8300HDM which then "broadcasts" content to your other boxes using the built in QAM that operates on a frequency not normally used by the MSOs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So MacTVJunkie - can you ask your SA headend guy if he knows anything about a potential firmware update to 1.88 for the 8300SD and/or 8300HD?

·
Registered
265 Posts
So MacTVJunkie - can you ask your SA headend guy if he knows anything about a potential firmware update to 1.88 for the 8300SD and/or 8300HD?
They exist. A bunch of our boxes are running SARA 1.88.18 and we even have some that are running 1.89.something (but they may be OCAP boxes). However, we're not affiliated with Rogers so I can't speak to their deployment plans.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So I just spent a few more minutes playing around with an 8300HD with SARA 1.89 on it. This version has a much more polished look to it including a more bevelled, 3D effect. The two things that lept out immediately:

1) The infobar is transparent.
2) There's a new option when setting up a recording to record all shows. You are now presented with the following three options:

a) Record all shows on all days.
b) Record all shows in this timeslot on all days.
c) Record all shows in this timeslot on this day.

That ought to help cut down on the duplicate recordings on some of the specialty channels (assuming Rogers ever deploys it).

I can't offer much more info that that at the moment as I only had 5 mins with the box. Like I stated earlier, my main focus here is Motorola headends/boxes so any playing around with SA equipment is either cross-training or goofing off.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.