Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone else is experience this. I have an SA 8300HD PVR with videotron and a Toshiba 42" LCD. It's able to show up to 1080i, I've noticed that while watching HD channels, sometimes the pictures gets grainy with fast movements. I know when watching hockey that while the players are not moving much the quality is great, but as soon as there is fast movement, the picture gets grainy. I want to see if this is normal, or is it a problem with my box or TV. I've only had the box for about 1 month now.

I have a bluray dvd player on another input and do not notice the grainy affect.

Thank you for any help.

T.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
What you are seeing is macroblocking and it's normal. See the following recent post on the topic and follow the suggestions to minimize the effect and read the various links in my post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131247

The post is from Shaw Direct, but applies to all service providers. DVDs/BDs are not encoded in "real time", therefore they don't have this problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply, I looked over it quickly but will review again later tonight and try some of the suggestions.

At least I learned something new, "Macroblocking", never heard of that before but will definitely take note of it.

T.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
sometimes the pictures gets grainy with fast movements
I've also noticed that on Bold, even when there's not a lot of movement. It seems to occur in darker scenes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I doubt my experience falls into the macroblocking category, but when watching Habs games on CBC HD, I've noticed that the picture quality is noticeably lower than the same game on RDS HD. I've got a Sharp Aquos that can handle 1080i input and the games look crystal clear and in fine detail on RDS HD, but over on CBC HD it appears as if they're passing off a 480 (or maybe 720) feed as full HD. What's more I'm pretty sure the Bell Center isn't equipped with two sets of cameras - one for CBC and another for RDS, so I think it's safe to say the video is coming from the same HD camera source.

Strangely, whenever CBC HD shows a Leafs game, the picture quality is the same as that of RDS HDs Habs broadcasts - and I don't add this just to slam Toronto.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Since you are seeing good quality on the Toronto games on CBC, I suggest they are using the non-HD truck on some out of town games, hence you're watching a widescreen, not HD production. Check out the CBC hockey threads as this topic has probably been discussed there in more detail. (I don't watch hockey)

Your post is really off topic for this thread, so if you have more comments to make on this particular topic, I suggest you find one of the CBC hockey threads to do so.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to give a quick note that I optimized the picture quality on my tv as best as I can. Seems to be better but I'll know more tomorrow when I watch the hockey game.

Thank you again for all your help.

Transmico

1 - 7 of 7 Posts