Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Ryder Cup isnt really a big deal here in Canada, but what TSN did just irks me.

Last week they announced they schedule, and they had all 3 days live, which include late night/early morning Friday/Saturday coverage (since its in Wales). It was listed on their online schedule and on their golf page.

I was ecstatic about this, seeing as NBC was showing Saturday tape delayed at 8am. And its near impossible to not find out results before the tape delay would be shown. Plus the live Saturday coverage would have probably been the Euro coverage.

But alas, one week later, TSN reneges on this and has changed their Saturday coverage to the same tape delayed 8 am coverage. They also list this coverage as "live". :confused: And they have the coverage shifting from TSN to TSN2 at 3pm. (everyone gets NBC anyways, so not a big deal)

Only speculating here, but I figure TSN would rather simsub the NBC coverage than show it live like they originally planned. Which is disappointing.

And just to add another weird thing, TSN.ca has only day 1 of the streaming scheduled, which has me confused. I guess maybe since day 1 is ESPN and day 2&3 are NBC, maybe TSN only has rights for one day..??

I have contacted tsn about both these issues, and I dont expect a response.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Regarding the streaming, it is probably part of ESPN's contract so TSN gets it for day 1, but not NBC's so they don't for days 2 and 3.

As much as it would be great for them to pick up live coverage, I don't think that it would be worth the cost to pick up a European feed considering that it would air in the middle of the night. I don't think that they really ever planned to use any coverage aside from ESPN and NBC, they probably just expected that NBC would have live coverage (which I did too until the other day).

We can now add Ryder Cup to the list of events that NBC airs delayed, along with Wimbledon, Roland Garros and the Olympics. I understand why they do it (for higher ratings), but I wish that they would let ESPN air coverage until 7 or 8am ET, then have continueing coverage of the afternoon session on NBC live.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nbcs schedule was announced on rydercup.com well before tsns schedule was announced, but I think youre still right, tsn really had plans all along just to show what NBC was doing on the weekend.

Still sucks though. :) oh, and still having saturdays coverage marked as "live" is still bush league imo.

Seeing as the usa stream (pga.com I think is doing it, not nbc) will probably be geoblocked, looks like we wont get the other 2 days. :(

(and i was so close to making a post when tsn had the early coverage scheduled congratulating them, but thought I would jinx them... lol)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Watching it live right now, I just saw a ticker that said ESPN would have it live at 3 am, I wonder if TSN will pick that up?

Matches just finished because of darkness, announcers stated it will be on ESPN at 3am then NBC coverage at 8am....sounds to me that it was never to be tape delayed and NBC would be showing it live at 8am, meaning their telecast would miss 5 hrs of play.....still unknown if TSN will pick up the early coverage.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tsn's schedule has been updated

They are picking up Satruday 2:30 am - whenever it finishes (they have it listed as 3pm, but since its live coverage now, it will be around 2 pm est)

Damn, maybe I am misreading what NBC is doing, they might still be tape delaying it (although not sure at what point they would start?) Its totally confusing on what NBC is going to do (I assumed they would pick up the coverage at 8 am right where ESPN left off......)

Funny how things work themselves out.

(original schedule had NO espn for saturday and nbc tape delayed from 8am til 6 pm)

Note NBCs Sunday schedule has also changed. Its now 4 am - completion instead of 8am - completion. The earlier start is to show the completion of Saturdays matches, then the Singles to follow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts