Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard rumours of it happening, but I called both Rogers and Eastlink and have got nothing but vague responses.
That may mean it's happening but hasn't been announced, or the CSR's I talked to just don't know anything.
Has anyone here heard anything at all. I will be buying a new house in a month or two and won't be able to stay with Eastlink. It's just horrible. And I'd rather not buy a dish becasue well, I can't deal with Bell's simsubbing and Shaw just have enough sports packages.
If anyone has heard anything about a takeover, please let me know.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I don't mean to start a discussion on this, but you'll get simsubbing with any provider.

I haven't heard of any rumours. However, it doesn't make sense to me if Rogers did buy this cable system. Rogers doesn't have fibre in the area. Therefore connecting Sudbury to their core network for internet, telephony, etc., would be costly to them. Likely not financially worth the effort.

·
Registered
84 Posts
if there was to be a cable takeover, it would be Cogeco, not Eastlink, unless it was a real bargain. Cogeco borders all Rogers territories, so it wouldn't be as costly to link them in to the main network as it would be with Eastlink.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Not sure if it would matter to Rogers, but EastLink and Cogeco both use Motorola boxes and equipment. Wouldn't it be too costly to work with both systems or try to switch the new-to-Rogers systems over to SA stuff? Wasn't that the reason that the Rogers system in Atlantic Canada are still using Motorola?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mean to start a discussion on this, but you'll get simsubbing with any provider.
Not true. I didn't get simsubbed with Rogers when Ilived in Ottawa, ever.
And Shaw CSR claims I won't get simsubbed with them either.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maybe query CRTC?
Do they track/approve this stuff?
Or possibly some other gov't agency.
How about a websearch with the terms you have stated?

- Bill H.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe query CRTC?
Do they track/approve this stuff?
Or possibly some other gov't agency.
How about a websearch with the terms you have stated?
Haven't tried the CRTC.
I've done every kind of web search I can think of.
I'm guessing now it's not true. Eastlink employees in Sudbury seem to think it's gonna happen tho.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As bigoranget mentioned, EastLink is interconnected to Rogers already.

EastLink has a master headend in Barrie that feeds their Northern systems (Sudbury and region) as well as their Bluewater EastLink (Clifford, Saugeen, etc.) and Amtelecom (Aylmer, Simcoe, etc) systems.

This transaction wouldn't be a big stretch.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
That's actually not true at all. Eastlink for the most part is already connected to Rogers Fiber Optic network. Also many Eastlink systems in Southern Ontario and the Maritimes boarder Rogers territory. There really isn't much of a difference.
I've worked for Rogers. And I'm not aware of any Eastlink connections to the Rogers fibre network whatsoever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts