Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just spoke with a cs agent while upgrading one of my 209's to a 630 we were discussing the fact that i was an installer for them and he told me we may be busy in a year or 2 because shaw will have a new orbitall slot (G1) (higher then f2) and will be using a triple lnb, the dishes will be the same and the lnb is just a swap.....
he also informed that the 209's are being replaced with a "dsr600" an hdmi reveiver that will also have coaxial. they will be $99.00/ $29.99 with a trade in of a 209. he thinks this will take place by august.
I can't confirm any of this yet but thought i'd share.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Installer,

Thanks for the post.

I've been seeing posts about the need for a new triple LNB due to a new Bird being active in ~2012 for some time now, but I think yours is the first with any dates on recievers.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
So would the dsr600 be a stripped down 605 with no extended IPG but with coax? Otherwise, how would it be different for the 605?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
he also told me it was a smaller unit then the 209! so I have a feeling you may be correct "bigoranget" wish I would have asked for more details.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I hope that it is HD. HD chips must be cheap enough now that HD receivers can be almost as inexpensive to make as SD. With the new satellite, Shaw will be making a major push to HD. Why keep selling SD receivers and keep a major portion of one satellite dedicated to duplicate HD/SD channels? It makes more sense to eventually replace as many SD channels as possible with HD channels. It would mean an SD to HD receiver swap down the road but attrition should eventually reduce the number of SD receivers in the field.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is hd/mpeg4 that's the whole purpose of this receiver. to replace the sd ones.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Gents,

It would make no sense to bring out a SD only Box at this time. The whole industry is moving quickly to HD. I can see the next generation after this one as having no SD capability => as everything will be HD.

But then maybe I'm just a Dreamer...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
All of this was posted 6 months ago - but I can't seem to find the thread.

The MPEG4/DVB-S2/HD chipsets now cost only a couple of dollars more than MPEG2 chips so it makes no sense to build SD receivers any longer. At that time it was speculated that the new entry receiver was to be called "609" and like it's predecessors utilize an existing in production Motorola small form factor housing probably with an external power supply.

One of the reasons that Industry Canada is allowing Shaw to use Extended Ku band (until 2028) is that the Extended band LNBFs and associated hardware is readily available as it is used in Europe.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
What I would like the DSR-600 to have is an IR control input, like a Pace cable box, or the old 411/421C had for a UHF module. That way, I could install the box elsewhere or behind a TV set. Ideally it will have a mounting option to mount on a TV's VESA mount.

My speculation is it will electronically be the 605 (which fundamentally is the 630 less a tuner and hard-drive), and fully operate like it, except will have no front indicator beyond the power/signal LED, no UHF remote receiver built in, and have at least power, satellite, RF out, HDMI out, and USB connectors. Ideally, it will have eSATA and Ethernet as well.

For the new LNBF, I have said it before. Most likely the new LNBF will be a regular 10750 Mhz LO, with the low bandpass opened to 11250 Mhz. That way, they will maintain backwards compatibility with legacy receivers.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The DSR-600 will likely be totally stripped down in order to meet a price point. That means that any chips and connectors that are not needed for basic functions or revenue generation will be omitted. Forget about things like an RF remote, IR input or an eSATA connector since they cost extra to implement.

·
Registered
764 Posts
yep if it aint a stripped down version no reasons to built one since 605 can be connected to standard sets however it will prepare for mpeg4 for standard def channels like DIRECT TV in the U.S. does.(but it will surely be long before being implanted)

·
Registered
709 Posts
yep if it aint a stripped down version no reasons to built one since 605 can be connected to standard sets however it will prepare for mpeg4 for standard def channels like DIRECT TV in the U.S. does.(but it will surely be long before being implanted)
Actually, how does a 605 connect to a Standard TV with only a coax input?

I don't think so. So need an RF Modulator for those Boxes. ;)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Actually, how does a 605 connect to a Standard TV with only a coax input?
LOL :) very true but in fact there are adapters composite iput to RF output for sales
(mostly used to connect DVD players on old tv sets)

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
True, but the point of including RF out in the 600, would be to make it easy for those with older RF only SDTV sets, being the 2xx and 3xx receiver line are done for.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
There are still a significant number of sets connected with RF, even if they accept other inputs. I know people who don't want to connect a TV any way other than RF, even if they know how. (Too confusing to some family members.) Then there are the old sets in the basement or at the cottage that only take RF. Does Shaw really want to drive away thousands of customers due to lack of RF out on all their receivers? I think not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
bell's HD recievers do not output RF either. Only the extreme basic model. i thought it was really weird at first to. their view is, if a customer doesn't have an HD set they shouldn't be buying an HD receiver.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts