1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
As long as I can still get the media even if I buy from the App Store this is fine.

It doesn't make sense to have to start with the older version before re-downloading the new version if you ever have to wipe your system.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would suggest, but can not confirm ;) that you get a file you can save from the app store which you could then burn onto traditional media.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is this going to cost anything to upgrade? We recently bought 2 mac's (a macbook air and mac mini) with Snow Leopard? Is this like going from XP to Windows which cost $ or like a Windows service pack which is free.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It depends on when they release it.

They usually have a window for people who bought their mac's to get a free upgrade.

Full OS versions are usually paid (Although snow leopard was only 29$) but point releases (like a windows service pack) are free.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Nic78, its unlikely you will be inside the window for a free upgrade; IIRC thats usually limited to a month, and the release date isn't even announced yet.

The last update, as @grimjack pointed out, was only $29 and that was because it was basically a 64 bit upgrade and didnt really offer tangible benefits to the user. Expect the next version to cost between $99 and $129.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It really depends, getting everyone on the same os version is a real boon for usability of apps, people don't have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

It's possible Apple will continue with this price pressure because it affects their competitors more than them. If you look at what they did with Aperture and Final Cut X it's quite possible they will.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Most people won't hesitate to download a 4 GB movie which will take them 1.5 hours to watch, yet I've been hearing (not necessarily on this board) all kinds of complaining about an equivalent download that comprises of an OS which will power your computer for a year or two.

It's amazing what people will find to complain.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if Apple will have some sort of functionality to transfer the OS image file between Macs. $29.99 for all Macs tied to the same iTunes account is a steal.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
This is a amazing deal, and I can not wait to purchase this once it comes out next month. There looks like a lot of good features on this new version.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hope there will be a ISO/DMG version of the OS... I need a way to reinstall it if my HDD fails (and I want to do a clean upgrade, not an in-place one). Also, I hope it fixes the Wi-Fi driver constantly disconnecting from 5GHz networks without giving any information.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Most people won't hesitate to download a 4 GB movie which will take them 1.5 hours to watch, yet I've been hearing (not necessarily on this board) all kinds of complaining about an equivalent download that comprises of an OS which will power your computer for a year or two.

It's amazing what people will find to complain.
I wasn't complaining, just stating a fact.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
That's why I said "not necessarily on this board". I wasn't singling out your post and I apologize if you thought I was.

Just a quick story on a somewhat related note...

I remember people telling me I was crazy when I purchased a PowerMac G3 (blue and white translucent tower) in 1999 or 2000. The reason is I paid $2,000 for a computer without a floppy drive! At that point, I had gone without using a floppy for a long, long time but most people weren't there... yet. I made perfect sense to me.

That's the reason why I have been using Macs ever since they have existed. Apple is the kind of company that pushes the envelope and truly innovates. They force us to do things differently if there's a better way. I can relate to that.

So, release a major OS update on the App store: bring it on!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
^^^
I agree; I have a MacBook Air and replaced the SuperDrive in my iMac with a SSD drive, as I haven't had need for a DVD or CD for at least a year or more. Given that Apple can boot from a USB stick or drive, and run an installation from there, I'm more than happy to see these updates coming as downloads. I do prefer to do a clean install as well, though, so I'm glad to see that that option will be available.

·
Registered
384 Posts
30 bucks is quite reasonable for an OS. By the way Lion is supporting Core 2 Duo or later so that old Mac running a Pentium 4 you got is S.O.L! 4GB is not that extreme a size for a full OS even major Linux Distro are now struggling to keep the bloat down to under 700mb. Except for the extreme case like Puppy, DSL and Tiny Core but that another story.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts