Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
stupid question: can I transfer everything on my iPod Touch (including saved photos etc) to the iPhone? The reason being is I currently use a 3rd gen iPod Touch (for 3 months approx) and want to sell it once I transferred everything over to iPhone.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I dunno, hence the question. I've moved complete data from iTouch gen 1 to 2 to 3 but the saved photos never got moved (the saved photo/screen grab that I grabbed using the iTouch itself)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
rarewolf, thanks for that article - it's really in-depth!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
For the record, I was at an Apple store today in Phoenix, Az and played around with their iPhone demos. They had 8 of them and I tried the death grip on all of them.

I was NOT able to replicate the dropped reception or notice any decrease in signal strength (lost bars).

I was very impressed with the quality of the phone and one of the sales guys showed me his bumper case and I thought it actually looked good. I've been carrying my iPhone 3G in a holster for the past year, meaning that I use it without a case when holding it.

The bumper might just do the job of protecting my iPhone 4 when I get it in a couple of weeks. Whether it's needed or not to prevent reception problems is now sort of a secondary issue. My hands on test today was all I needed to reassure myself.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
In Apple stores they likely have AT&T signal boosters, but our networks up in Canada are much better anyway so the death grip problem is likely to be less of an issue.

·
Registered
763 Posts
@PokerChip: I'd say its tough to judge the phone's reception issue by using it just in one place..

I've been using an iPhone 4 since friday.. I'm easily able to replicate the reception issue - but only in a few areas I've found. I was at a friend's place in Grimsby, On, where reception seems good. 3 bars (whatever that really means lol) and consistent speed tests of 4mbps down & 3-4mbps up. but holding the phone in left hand (not just 1 finger on the weak spot) will go from 2-3 bars to Network Lost within 5 seconds. it can get pretty annoying.. for ex: I was browsing some websites with the phone in my right hand, then I would place it in my left to do some pinch to zooming with my right. as soon as i do that, network is lost and page can no longer load.

Having said that, the phone really impresses me, and I won't let that issue stop me from keeping this phone, as it only happens in a few places i've found so far. The physical build, screen, and camera impress me the most. Camera is the biggest surprise for me, especially hd video. I couldn't believe how good video from a cell phone looked when I watched it on a 52" LCD.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Since I don't have an iP4 yet, I decided to finally test the "death grip" issue on my old trustworthy 3GS. At my work I get 1 to 3 bars on the Rogers/Fido 3G network, and my speed net data tests have always shown a maximum of 3000 kbps down and 280 up. Today I decided to put it on the desk without holding it. 6 out of 6 attempts with the phone lying on the desk got me values in the 3200 to 3400 kbps range download. In between each attempt I was holding the phone with my left hand - I reached a maximum of 2400. When I held it firmly (the way death grip on the iP4 is said to be most effective, the results were hardly over 1000 (with 20 seconds ping time, which means there was no network connection at that time). Bars (I'm on 4.0.1) were 3 when on the desk, 1 to 2 when holding it.
Based on my today's test, I conclude that the 3GS is equally susceptible to the "death" (or just any) grip issue when in areas of weaker signal. Interestingly, it's been a year until I found that out, but, whatever, now my life is ruined. ;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
^I've been able to reproduce it on the 3GS as well, but getting it to drop network is quite difficult (holding it really awkwardly tight in the palm of my hand). Also can do the same with the BB9700 I tested. Of course over the past year of use it never affected me, whereas with the iPhone 4 just accidentally holding it lightly in my left hand the network was completely dropped.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
Almost all phones will have a similar issue, if you cover parts of the phone it will partially lose signal. The difference with the iPhone 4 is that if you touch one specific spot it will cause a significant drop in signal strength.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was at a friend's place in Grimsby, On, where reception seems good. 3 bars (whatever that really means lol) and consistent speed tests of 4mbps down & 3-4mbps up. but holding the phone in left hand (not just 1 finger on the weak spot) will go from 2-3 bars to Network Lost within 5 seconds.
The problem is that Apple's 4 bars is pure utopia. The equivalent signal would extends from 2 to 4 bars on another phone, so of course a marginal "Apple 4 bars" with a 20 db drops (bridging the antennas) means no signal... OTOH, a perfect 4 bars with a 20 db drop still stays a marginal 4 bars... ;) Now Apple is spinning it has a display bug, while they were happy to boast a better signal reception before... ;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
The problem is that Apple's 4 bars is pure utopia. The equivalent signal would extends from 2 to 4 bars on another phone, so of course a marginal "Apple 4 bars" with a 20 db drops (bridging the antennas) means no signal... OTOH, a perfect 4 bars with a 20 db drop still stays a marginal 4 bars... ;) Now Apple is spinning it has a display bug, while they were happy to boast a better signal reception before... ;)
This was an iPhone 4 running 4.0.1. which gives more accurate "bars". Anyway I should jailbreak and change the bars to number to get good idea of the signal in this specific area before and after holding the phone in left hand.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts