Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called 5 7-11 stores in Ottawa and got the same answer each time. "We no longer sell Speakout Wireless phones". I called the 1-800 number for 7-11 and they said that they were aware of the issue but could not comment further.

I should add I called the 6th 7-11 store and while they had some phones left, come December 1st all stores will be changing ownership to Quickie and the phone would no longer be sold. This store mentioned availability would be continued through Petro-Canada Mobility.

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
well, petro canada MOBILE and 7-11 Speak Eazy are operated by the same parent company (the phone brands, not the gas stations), Ztar so i would call up Ztar and ask them what the heck is going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SpeakOut Transition

SpeakOut cellular users residing in Ottawa only will have the option to transition to an alternate wireless provider at no cost. Full details regarding the transition will be sent to SpeakOut users via text message the week of October 12th.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for letting us know. I can only assume you mean Petro-Canada Mobility. Since the phones are interchangable will the customer get a new SIM and have their number ported?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm guessing you don't really need to change to PetroCan Mobility if you don't want to. Whenever you want to top up the card, you could go to the closest city which has a 7-11 store to Ottawa i.e. Peterborough, or somewhere else to top up.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a 550km round trip! :D

My current air-time expires December 8th. The dust should have settled by then and I can make a better decision. I had planned picking up the Nokia 5130 when the promotion started mid-November.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Details

Hi Jake,

In response to your question regarding getting a new SIM and having your number ported, I will be able to post further details later this week once all SpeakOut users have received the text containing the transition details.

·
Super Moderator
4,493 Posts
I am so happy with speakout, I get my friend in Calgary to buy me minutes for my Halifax phone.
I would love to be able to buy minutes at Petro-Canada.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's true. I drive to Toronto 5-6 times a year not because I have to but because I have family in both Peterborough and Toronto. So, its true, not much impact to me but for others who have to top up it would become an inconvenience. ... :)

magnet, your sarcasm is lost on me... lol....

·
Registered
4 Posts
SpeakOut Service Update - Ottawa Users

SpeakOut wireless airtime can still be purchased from any 7-Eleven store across Canada. For SpeakOut users residing in Ottawa only, if there is not a 7-Eleven store in a location convenient for you, we will be providing you with two different options to top-up your airtime starting November 1st, 2009.

Please call SpeakOut customer service at 1-866-310-1023 or dial 611 from your SpeakOut handset (free call) starting November 1st, 2009 for more details.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the update. Only 15 days to wait. :)

I wonder what the 2 options will be?

In the meantime I plan to keep calling around to see if the 5130 is available anywhere.

Ask SpeakOut if you think the title of this thread is inaccurate let me know via PM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Called SpeakOut CSR yesterday after receiving a text message. I learned:

SpeakOut will transfer full $$ credit to PetroCan or ?Good-To-Go? - a similar cell service that will be sold at Quickie, provided by the same reseller.

Changeover can be made at any time - no rush, not sure if any deadline. I suggested it should be at least a year - to recognize validity of time already purchased - she wasn't sure.

Don't think there is any published info (yet) on ?Good-To-Go?

Any time purchased now will retain its validity - 'cos the 7-11 service is continuing - it just won't be possible to recharge in Ottawa.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Don't get this - its not as good as the speakout. For $25 on speakout, you get up to 365 days. This one is $100 for 365 days.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I received my text I also called and was told I could switch to either of the other companies or stay with 7-11 and just buy airtime at 7-11 stores in other cities just not ottawa. She did mention that 7-11 had pulled out of kingston, brockville and other easter ontario cities last year and this year ottawa and could not guarantee that it would not continue to happen to other cities in ontario. but minutes would remain active as long a 7-11 stores exsisted. If they were to complety leave canada all speakout users would get switched to other plans at the time.

Currently Im staying with 7-11 because the other 2 options arent as great of a plan (eg. expiry of minutes if less then $75 purchased etc.) and I purchased another $100 from my local 7-11 and they will continue to sell airtime till nov1. and then when im toronto ill make sure to visit a 7-11 for time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SpeakOut Update

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update and confirm some of the information you have been given.

SpeakOut wireless airtime can still be purchased from any 7-Eleven location across Canada. For SpeakOut users residing in Ottawa only, if there is not a 7-Eleven store in a location convenient for you to top up your airtime, you will be provided with the option to transition your service over to two different prepaid cellular providers starting November 1st, 2009.

For SpeakOut users who choose to transition their service, there will be no loss of airtime, no cost to transfer and the airtime expiry will stay the same. Please note, once you transition your service, the next time you top up your airtime you will be subject to the shorter expiry dates offered by the alternate providers.

For those users who choose not to transition their service to one of the alternate providers, your SpeakOut service will continue to work as normal and your airtime will still be valid. You will just need to find an alternate way to purchase airtime, ie. travel to the next closest store.

SpeakOut users residing in Ottawa can call customer service at 1-866-310-1023 or dial 611 from their SpeakOut handset (free call) starting November 1st, 2009 for complete details and to transition their service.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just came back from a Quickie :) ... and picked up a good2GOmobile (that is how they spell it) brochure.

Only a bare-bones candy bar phone was offered.

25 cents/minute
30/90/180/365 expiry on $15/$25/$50/$100 vouchers

911 fees are charged.

Long distance is 15 cents extra.

Outgoing Texts: 15 cents
Incoming Texts: Free
Wireless Web (4 cents/kB)

The brochure direct you to this website BUT good2GOmobile it would seem they do not have the Canadian version up yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts