Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questionable rumors of a new iPad from Apple sporting a 7-inch screen continue to surface, with another Taiwanese publication adding fuel to the fire Tuesday.

Chinese-language newspaper Economic Daily News reported Tuesday (via Google Translate) that Apple plans to launch a second-generation iPad with a 7-inch screen. The report claimed that the original, 9.7-inch iPad is too big and heavy for many consumers, and the new model will cut weight down from 700 grams to 500 grams.
Giving up that much screen for a 30% reduction in weight doesn't seem like a good trade-off to me.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too big for what? I don't mean to be flippant but for portability, I have an iphone and for quality viewing I have the iPad.

I guess an intermediate size would have value for some but the question would become, what apps could run on it. iPhone apps would just be expando mode and iPad apps may be too crunched.

if the 7" screen had the same resolution as the iPad then maybe

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'd have to see it

I did find the current iPad the wrong size

I've got a touch which is awesome

An archos 5" tablet that's perfect ebook reader size (think a paperback) but is kinda the wrong size to stuff in a pocket and run around

My nokia n810 is great for short tasks but too small for a dedicated gps and bulkier than the iPod for media

7" might fit an interesting void, we'll see

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
This has been my beef with the IPAD. It's too big to carry around easily. I've been hoping that Apple might introduce a size between the IPOD Touch which is too small for long reading sessions and the IPAD which is just too clunky for me. I can hope....

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I don't own any apple products myself yet, but two of my kids have iPod Touch's.
I did buy a really slick iPOd interface for my truck's factory stereo that allows HU control of it so (we) can listen to their music when we travel, and am considering buying my own Touch - 'cause the iPad is physically too big. (my faltering vision contained within my 42 year old eyes are weighing in here too)

If apple can do a mid-size iPad,that would be just the ticket.
(It's all I can do too hold off on buying a Touch right now).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^^^ don't wait for a smaller iPad if you want it to use it with your truck's HU. My vehicle has iPod integration but it does not recognize the iPad. I would guess that a smaller iPad would be the same.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In thinking about it further, I guess if you sell millions of the things, you can offer it in multiple sizes and still be profitable.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I can't see Apple unveiling anything just yet. Demand is still strong, and nothing has been released that can be seen in any way to be a threat to their stranglehold in this space.
Even if you have something waiting in the wings, it's probably worthwhile keeping it in the dugout while your starter is still throwing in the high-90s and the other team(s) can't even make solid contact.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nuje, holding back product (if it exists) just leaves an opportunity for the competition. A smaller iPad really just means an extra production line and if they could have it ready for Christmas then it would shut out any new competition.

Apple has 4 types of iPod: Shuffle, Nano, Classic and Touch, so why not two types of iPad to appeal to those who want an intermediate sized screen?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A 7" would be aimed smack dab at my wife. Only portable device is a $15 per month cell phone for emergency use. Loved the ipad in the store, but it's to big for a lug around ereader. Finds the iphone to small for reading and e-mail.

A 7" would give her the portable ereader potential with a small semi-computer for web browsing, e-mail and games.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I hear what you're saying, hugh, and I agree that most companies would function that way. Apple, though, likes to "think different". ;)

Remember, they lived with the "one size fits all" iPod for a number of years, until there was some competition (albeit minor) out there, and then they started releasing new iterations.

If there is a smaller iPad coming, I don't see it until mid-November at the earliest so Apple would capitalize on the holiday buying season. But really, until there's at least one viable alternative to iPad1.0, I don't see Apple really pressing to release iPad2.0 or iPad Jr.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
im holding out for one of these 2 bad boys:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe in January when they announce V2 of the iPad.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I don't think it is obsolete, I think it makes perfect sense. A device that is one half the size of an iPad would be small enough to easily carry around and would almost fit in a large pocket. I would also like to see a 3G+Wifi version of the iPod Touch.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Monday I read somewhere that was in the cards for yesterday's event. But really isn't it to close to an iPhone on a data only plan (and hence doesn't make sense)?
Very true it is really a data only iPhone but what a premium you pay for the iPhone!

Take a look at the price diff between an iPod Touch and an iPhone? An 8GB iPod Touch is $249, an 8GB iPhone is $549 so the diff is $300. A 32 GB iPod Touch is $319, a 32GB iPhone is $779 so the diff there is $460. With an iPad I believe the premium for 3G is $130.

So an 8GB iPod Touch with Wifi+3G should cost about $379 and a 32GB iPod Touch would be $449. Far less than the equivalent iPhone prices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts