Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per my contact... Bell will offer Fibe 50 in Quebec and Ontario,
And an additional Fibe 175 in Quebec.

No pricing yet available... other than an 3$ price increase for the other packages

·
Registered
62 Posts
What's the point. You just reach your CAP faster. At the rate things are going one is almost better off with slower speeds. This continual monitoring of usage is making the net a far less interesting place.

Philip

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
Bell is using FTTN (Fibre to the node) and VDSL2. Quebec City is being wired for FTTH (Fibre to the home).

I'm not with Bell, but my FTTN VDSL2 modem syncs at 60 Mbps.

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
I'm about 700 feet from the node. I should be clear, 60 Mbps is what the modem reports as the error-free downstream speed. The highest internet speed MTS offers is 32 Mbps.

Bell could also use line-bonding, essentially combining 2 pairs at 25 Mbps to give 50 Mbps throughput. That would make the 50 Mbps footprint about the same as the Fibe TV coverage. I have no idea if Bell plans to do this, but the technology is available and most houses have 2 pair.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You may getting high speeds in a big centre
I get a blinding 2-3 mb/s most of the time and Bells own tests are at 3.5 mb/s:(

Atleast the air is cleaner and no traffic:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
What's the point. You just reach your CAP faster. At the rate things are going one is almost better off with slower speeds. This continual monitoring of usage is making the net a far less interesting place.

Philip
So true. What's the point of faster speeds when you have a 25gb cap?

I am much happier with teksavvy, speeds are a little slower but I am not getting insanely high bills due to cap overages.

If a small company can give you 300gb caps (and unlimited) for a reasonable price, Bell Canada should be able to offer the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
@Dr.Dave,
But in reality as long as you are capped you will never be able to utilize the speeds you are paying for.

25, 50, 100GB cap it doesn't matter, the faster the seed the quicker you will reach your cap. After the cap is reached you either don't use it (now you're getting 0GB/s), or you pay a premium for the extra BW that literally cost Bell pennies.

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
I just noticed a typo in my previous post. I meant to say "the only Fibe plan that has a 25Gb cap is Fibe 6". Anyways, it looks like you got my point.

I don't agree with the way that Bell is charging UBB either, but there are other threads to discuss that policy.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I’m on FTTN, and the Node is about 2 blocks away. The tech did a test, when he installed my fibe25, and told me I had a 48Mbit ‘attainable’ speed over just the one wire pair.

Who knows, in the future they may come out with some super modem that uses all 4 wires and delivers over 100Mbit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts