Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
...Sure the odds of someone breaching my internet arent very likely, but all it takes is it to happen once, for you to basically be SOL.
I thought the same, but it happened (I think). It appears as if my WPA2 network was hacked while I was away on vacation, no less. It's only been a day since I changed my passphrase and implemented MAC address filtering (feeble, I know) but my usage has seemed to return to normal.

I was averaging 30 GB a month (I have Netflix and work from home). I randomly decided to check my bandwidth usage yesterday and I was at a whopping 480 GB for the month! Starting December 27th (it would appear) someone started sucking on my Internet teat. 25 GB+ download days became the norm, with two 50 GB download days.

I called Bell to give them the heads up, and, predictably, they were useless & hopeless. The "technical" representative assigned to help me had no clue and didn't seem to care.

I'll eat the $30 in overage charges this billing period; I've got no choice I suppose, but this new 300 GB+ raping scheme Bell are planning now has me worried.

Guess I'll be changing my passphrase every 24 hours. ;-)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I thought the same, but it happened (I think). It appears as if my WPA2 network was hacked while I was away on vacation, no less. It's only been a day since I changed my passphrase and implemented MAC address filtering (feeble, I know) but my usage has seemed to return to normal.

I was averaging 30 GB a month (I have Netflix and work from home). I randomly decided to check my bandwidth usage yesterday and I was at a whopping 480 GB for the month! Starting December 27th (it would appear) someone started sucking on my Internet teat. 25 GB+ download days became the norm, with two 50 GB download days.

I called Bell to give them the heads up, and, predictably, they were useless & hopeless. The "technical" representative assigned to help me had no clue and didn't seem to care.

I'll eat the $30 in overage charges this billing period; I've got no choice I suppose, but this new 300 GB+ raping scheme Bell are planning now has me worried.

Guess I'll be changing my passphrase every 24 hours. ;-)
Why did you keep your router on when away? That the biggest and first mistake peoples make. The other mistake is that they get router that are way too powerfull for their need remove the external antenna it likely you don't need it. Rename your access point to something else than Linksys so that nobody can say they logged on your network by mistake. Aside from going wired only you should disable SSID Broadcast and off course a serious password is the first step to router security. MAC filtering will also help keeping "honest mistake" down! And by the way if after all that you still get intrusion call the Police.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Your SSID is broadcasted regardless if you disable the feature or not. It's part of all packets. And the police is not interested in cases of private networks being breached.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know I'm dreaming in technicolour here, but the least the CRTC could do to "protect" consumers would be to have mandatory notifications that the cap was going to be breached, along with automatic slowdowns - basically just fast enough to use VoIP or email - until the customer confirmed their usage and agreed to the charges. That way a breach will be detected before the bills come and the customer has the option of choosing future warning levels (i.e. they consistently use 60 - 100 GB, anything over that range gets an email warning and slowdown until the user confirms it is them)

·
Registered
275 Posts
If they slowed your internet down from say 5 mbps down to only 500 kbps down over your cap, if you had a breach in your network the damage/cost would be much less severe than at full speed. That's what I mean by slow downs until it is confirmed the user is the actual one using that connection. It is a trend among cell providers to do this. As long as the account owner approves the usage, the speed could be increased back to normal.

There are already a number of ridiculous overage charges for people who's networks have been compromised. The incentive for "neighbour hacking" will increase with UBB, so this may be a big concern coming up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Your SSID is broadcasted regardless if you disable the feature or not. It's part of all packets. And the police is not interested in cases of private networks being breached.
It a breach of privacy and it theft so I believe you do have a case to contact the autorities.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It a breach of privacy and it theft so I believe you do have a case to contact the autorities.
Having a case if not even what I'm talking about. Tell me, how many cases of private WiFi breaches have been investigated and prosecuted in 2009 and 2010?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Having a case if not even what I'm talking about. Tell me, how many cases of private WiFi breaches have been investigated and prosecuted in 2009 and 2010?
The difference between 2009/2010 and 2011 is UBB. That's going to make all the difference. In 2009/2010, if someone stole your bandwidth the most extra charge you'd see is $30-$50 if you were on Bell or Rogers, or if you were on a service which didn't enforce caps (highly likely back in the golden age of `09/`10), then you wouldn't have any monetary damages. The reason it wasn't taken seriously by police is the damages were minimal, not worth the time to investigate. Now in 2011, you can have people getting damages of bandwidth theft of hundereds to even thousands of dollars depending on severity. The incentive for police to investigate damages in the 4 digits is a lot more worth their time than to investigate for a 30 dollar overage.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
What you're describing is a civil matter. The RCMP won't get involved with that. I don't recall a law specifically including bandwidth in the definition of theft. Plus the burden of proof is on you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What you're describing is a civil matter. The RCMP won't get involved with that. I don't recall a law specifically including bandwidth in the definition of theft. Plus the burden of proof is on you.
Alright, I present to you a segment of the Criminal Code of Canada, specifically section 326:

Theft of telecommunication service
326. (1) Every one commits theft who fraudulently, maliciously, or without colour of right,

(a) abstracts, consumes or uses electricity or gas or causes it to be wasted or diverted; or

(b) uses any telecommunication facility or obtains any telecommunication service.

Definition of "telecommunication"
(2) In this section and section 327, "telecommunication" means any transmission, emission or reception of signs, signals, writing, images or sounds or intelligence of any nature by wire, radio, visual or other electromagnetic system.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 287; 1974-75-76, c. 93, s. 23.
There is legal grounds for police to do things about it, and when the damages are more than 30 dollars you will see them pay more attention to it.

Taking it further, the following entry about theft is on the wiki for Canadian law:
For the purposes of punishment theft is divided into two separate offences by section 334 depending on the value and nature of the goods stolen. If the thing stolen is worth more than $5000 or is a testamentary instrument the offence is commonly referred to as Theft Over $5000 and is an indictable offence with a maximum punishment of 10 years imprisonment. Where the stolen item is not a testamentary instrument and is not worth more than $5000 it is known as Theft Under $5000 and is a hybrid offence, meaning that it can be treated either as an indictable offence or a less serious summary conviction offence, depending on the choice of the prosecutor. If dealt with as an indictable offence Theft Under $5000 is punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years and, if treated as a summary conviction offence, 6 months imprisonment, a fine of $2000 or both.
While going over 5000 in damage is a bit unlikely, considering at Fibe 25's speed it would take 18 days of constant downloading to muster, let's instead calculate how much time is necessary before your bill goes from the $60ish it should be, to $500. For a bill to get to $500 just in overage fees, would require only 43 hours, 24 minutes and 10 seconds. Less than 2 days of someone else's malicious intent is all it takes to force your bill over $500. That should be a frightening statistic to everyone. People on Roger's or Shaw's 50Mbit and 100Mbit speeds are even more at risk, requiring only 21hrs and 11hrs respectively to reach that point.

I don't know how the theft of other services work, like telephone or hydro, but I'd wager my guess that Internet theft might very well be the fastest and easiest service to get stuck with excessive bills on due to theft, and unlike theft of hydro or telephone, no physical tampering needs to be done, just park on the street for 11hrs and download a ton of data, drive off and never worry about repercussions, but the people who get stuck with this will be SOL.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Criminal Code may say it is illegal to steal other people's internet, it also says its illegal to steal someone's $500 bike. Although I'm fortunate not to have the experience myself, go to your local police station and report your bike stolen if it ever happens...watch how quickly they run out the door to find the thief....

The chances of finding a one time offender (or at least once at a particular address) are so low, that unless that person wants to get caught by doing it over and over again, they will get away and you'll get the bill.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Criminal Code may say it is illegal to steal other people's internet, it also says its illegal to steal someone's $500 bike. Although I'm fortunate not to have the experience myself, go to your local police station and report your bike stolen if it ever happens...watch how quickly they run out the door to find the thief....

The chances of finding a one time offender (or at least once at a particular address) are so low, that unless that person wants to get caught by doing it over and over again, they will get away and you'll get the bill.
What you say is somewhat true, you will get no argument from me that a lot of petty theft crimes the police don't bother with. It's not just limited to bikes, our car was broken into a few years ago and the stereo stolen, a common offense, and the police told us basically it was an unpunishable crime. If you're not caught in the act, the odds of getting caught down the line are miniscule, they simply don't have the resources to look into such crimes seriously.

My quoting the criminal code of canada might have thrown you off, but what I'm preaching/warning about is exactly what you are saying. This age of limitless billing for easily accessible internet service leaves me discouraged for the future, a future where it's entirely feasible to go to bed one night, and wake up the next morning with $500 in overages, with absolutely no recourse to protect myself from it aside from eliminating wifi from my home, and having to go back to 90's tech to protect myself from this is not acceptable.

I don't agree with, but can accept the concept of paying extra for usage, but what I cannot, and will never accept is the concept of an unlimited bill. Especially when its so easy to hijack.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
When did Bell Sympatico (increase overage)...

Up their cap charge for the month. It now says up to a total of $60 for the month if you go past your usage for the month.

It was less before was it not. Thought it was in the $25-30 range.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It used to be $30 but back in November they announed the max overage would be increased to $60 effective January 2011.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That 60 dollar overage isn't a maximum.

Before, it was 30 dollars maximum no matter how much data you transferred. Now it's 60 dollar maximum until 300GB, beyond 300GB its 2.50-5.00 PER GIGABYTE with no cap. Keep your Wi-Fi signal protected is now more important than ever if you want to avoid an Internet bill in the hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
You sure about that. I just pulled this straight from the Bell website.
If you exceed your usage allowance, the excess usage will be charged at the rate specified in your Bell Internet plan. There is a maximum usage overage charge of $60/month.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Looks as if they are hiding the charge on their website. You would think the 'my usage' section would say something on 300gb. The best I could find was this under the 'understanding my bill' section/
Usage charges: If you exceed your monthly usage allowance, the additional usage will be charged at the rate specific to your plan, up to a maximum of $60/month for up to 300GB and $1.00/GB thereafter. Your usage period coincides with your Bell Internet service billing cycle. Internet usage tracking starts at midnight of each billing cycle and ends at midnight on the last day.
http://internet.bell.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&content_id=17647

Seems sneaky from Bell the way they have it listed on their site.

Luckily I figured this out today at the begining of a download binge. Just cancelled a bunch of pendings, but now I feel like I need to find a new ISP. Sigh...

I would love for HUGH to contact Bell and ask them about the way its hidden on the Bell website.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bell has merely delayed it, it will be coming:

Here is a statement direct from Bell on their website Here

An extreme usage policy will soon apply to all Bell Internet subscribers on usage-based billing plans. There will be an extreme usage charge of $1.00 for every GB of usage exceeding 300 GB per month. The maximum usage overage fee of $60 per month will continue to apply for usage of 300 GB or less.

This new policy will affect less than 1% of Bell Internet customers. If your existing usage level does not exceed 300 GB per month, like most of our Internet customers, then you will not pay extra fees for extreme usage.

The extreme usage policy introduction date, previously communicated as February 28, 2011, has been delayed. The introduction date for this policy will be updated when available.
They also seem to have lowered the price per GB down to $1.00, it used to be $2.50 while I was on Fibe 25, I specifically cancelled and switched to TekSavvy because of this issue, my usage per month across 5 game consoles, 3 laptops and 2 desktops, is about 350GB on average.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts