Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a rumor that Bell will put in place a policy for those you download over 300GB. If someone exceeds 300GB they will be charge x$ per GB over the 300GB.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
They already have caps and extra bandwidth charges that are far lower than 300GB

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plan is not to move to 300GB cap...
The paln is to keep the CAP at what it is and set an additional charge
for those who go over 300GB.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
So extra charges on top of the extra charges? Thanks CRTC for destroying competition in this country!

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
I guess that would be called Tier 2 charges. :) Similar to the way electricity is billed. Perhaps there is a movement to reduce internet consumption? If we start to see crippled or low-bandwidth gadgets with promotions claiming to "reduce internet charges by 200%" or "save over $500/year" we will know the answer to that.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
HUGH its just like a tax on top of a tax... I think Miguilty is behind this!

Oh boy!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I believe the rate is $1.75/GB over 60GB, limited to $30. That may change to a limit of $60. The charge over 300GB is $0.75/GB with no limit. So if you use 400GB, that's a surcharge of $75 on top of the other fees. 500GB is an extra $150, 600GB an extra $225, ... Happy New Year from Bell. :eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Usage measurement.

Yesterday I contacted Bell Internet about my usage not being updated for my account. They indicated that they were having technical problems and were developing a new method of measuring usage. I was also told because the information was currently not available that I would not be charged for any overage this month. It is suppose to be available in a few days.

Got me wondering, just how do they measure usage? How do we know we aren't being hosed?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I check my usage once a week and a few days before my month is over on midnight the 20. I don't bust out anymore since I got the 40Gb/5$ insurance but I manage to squeeze just under. I don't like leaving bandwidth unused so if a few days before the month is up I still got plenty you can be sure that I go crazy! I pay for 100Gb you can be bloody sure that I get almost 100Gb! If Bell does not like it they just have to start rollover bandwidth or offer refund for unused bandwidth! Until they do what I pay for I will use!

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
The price for Internet in Canada is so outrageous. I guess that's what happens when major companies like Bell and Rogers own content and delivery. They want to make sure any viable alternatives are wiped out. If you don't pay Bell or Rogers $70+/month for cable tv, they will be sure to collect it in Internet fees. Best of all it's almost ALL PURE PROFIT for them.

The likes of Rogers and Bell should be embracing new technology not trying to fight tooth and nail sticking with legacy technology.

The sub 100GB plans that Bell and Rogers offer make it almost impossible to use items such as slingboxes and netflix on a regular basis.

I truly believe that caps will keep going down because once people adjust to the new caps and don't go over that much, they will lower them again, collect the overage fees and once again when people are in check, they will lower the caps again. Before you know it, the caps will be 20GB and you'll have to pay their "assurance" plans of 20, 40, 60GB extra for a fixed price.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
How do we know we aren't being hosed?
Measure it yourself. Some routers keep track of WAN usage. I use a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware. There are also software utilities that will track usage on individual PCs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Would like to track usage myself, BUT?

Not sure how to track my own usage. I have two desktop computers, a laptop, Xbox, Home Server, and WD Live TV on my network. I stream video to Xbox and WD Live TV and small amount to PCs. I use Utorent to download stuff. I use Xbox live for games. In addition I have general email and maintenance updates to all attached devices as well as general internet browsing. Unless there is someway to track usage by router "Bell 2 Wire" modem it probably isn't very practical.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I see little point in ranting on message boards. Have you complained to the CRTC? if so well done, if not why not?
Complaints to the CRTC fall on deaf ears. The CRTC's mandate is to create a business environment that leads to a profitable industry that ensures high employment. The CRTC is not tasked with making a competitive industry and for that reason, consumers will always be the loser in this country.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not sure how to track my own usage. I have two desktop computers, a laptop, Xbox, Home Server, and WD Live TV on my network. I stream video to Xbox and WD Live TV and small amount to PCs. I use Utorent to download stuff. I use Xbox live for games. In addition I have general email and maintenance updates to all attached devices as well as general internet browsing. Unless there is someway to track usage by router "Bell 2 Wire" modem it probably isn't very practical.
I think that why ScaryBob is talking about tracking WAN usage at the router level.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another smal info about the rumor of Extreme usage charge...

It should start in February 2011... and the fare will be 1$/GB

So lets say you Download 350GB
and you cap is 60GB....
You will pay: up to 60$ since you're over the CAP
+
50GB X 1$ (350 - 300 = 50GB)
=
110$

1 - 20 of 68 Posts