Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if someone already spoke about this... but it looks like Bell will be swapping MPEG2 STB in the near future.

6100 to 6131 or 9241
9200 to 9241/9242

All this to bring everybody to MPEG4, so they can meet CRTC requirements.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
This has been a rumor for a very long time but I hope they finally get to it.

-Mike

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope too... it looks like that it should start in August 2011...

·
Registered
299 Posts
i don't think it has anything to do with CRTC requirements. MPEG 4 is just a different compression than MPEG 2. Bell is doing it so that they squeeze more channels into each transponder...ie. more HD :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that Mpeg4 is for HD...but didn't CRTC ruled that Bell will have to add DTV sub-channels to their package? About 40 of them?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes Bell gave a promise to the CRTC that they would carry out this swap so they could find room for over 40 local HD Stations.

The swap has actually started, somewhat, by Bell shipping out MPEG4 receivers as replacements of defective MPEG2 ones for customers with Dishcare, although one regular here recently go a 9200 for his 9200, I like to think that was a one off as most people get a 9242 for a defective 9200.

I am about to call regarding my bad 9200, so I will wait to see what appears in the mail.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The reason is to add local HDTV channels, not subchannels. There should be several more HDTV specialty channels available soon as well. I'm not sure that MPEG4 will enable Bell to add everything available, especially not in the long term and not if they plan on keeping all their SDTV channels. Since Bell is still selling 4100s, they will need to keep simulcasting identical HDTV and SDTV channels.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
CRTC approval - BCE acquisition of CTVglobemedia

35. As part of its 7 February 2011 tangible benefits package, BCE proposed to provide satellite carriage for an additional 43 local television services. This initiative would be made possible by replacing all of BCE’s installed high definition (HD) MPEG-2 set-top boxes with MPEG-4 capable boxes within a 12-15 month timeframe. BCE submitted that this would free sufficient capacity to allow for increased carriage of local over-the-air (OTA) stations.
Consequently, the Commission accepts BCE’s proposal to allocate $60 million of its total benefits package toward this initiative and directs BCE’s DTH service to carry at least 43 additional television services that meet the following criteria in standard definition by 31 August 2012 and to make these services available as part of the basic package in the appropriate local markets:
  • local stations eligible for the Local Programming Improvement Fund (LPIF);
  • non-branded community-based television services;
  • non-LPIF-eligible local stations that meet the five-hour (French language) and seven-hour (English language) minimum local programming commitment; and
  • existing independent television stations that currently operate in markets that are required to convert to digital transmission on 31 August 2011.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
6100 to 6131 or 9241
9200 to 9241/9242
Better be 6100 -> 9241 for me as I don't intend on loosing my UHF remotes (that's plural so a conversion kit won't suffice)

Better be 9200 -> 9242 for me as I don't intend on loosing my two room functionality.

But I'm guessing they'll just say "screw you" to those of us who own the equipment vs lease it.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
After adding 43 locals, MPG4 will basically only allow Bell to maintain the status quo for specialty channels. A common misconception is that MPEG4 doubles broadcast capacity. That is not the case. 8PSK + MPEG4 doubles capacity over 4PSK + MPEG2 but Bell has already implemented 8PSK. That plus adaptive compression basically allowed them to go from 2 or 3 channels per transponder to 3 or 4, depending on content and originating bandwidth. Everything else being equal, MPEG4 will allow a a 30%-35% increase in capacity. That's just one or maybe two channels per transponder. Other improvements, such as increased adaptive compression optimizations and degrading picture quality further, might push that to 50%. 43 extra HD channels is an average of 1+1/3 channels per transponder so there will be little bandwidth to spare. Some of the locals will be digital SD, not full HD, at first so that will provide a short term opportunity to add extra channels. OTOH, increased HD programming content on local channels will put pressure in the other direction over time. Bell may be able to, once again, pull a rabbit out of their hat but I think they basically screwed Canadians by giving Nimiq 5 to Dish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the plan is to upgrade all the 9200 via Dishcare etc... then someone has not received the memo.... My 9200 HD crapped out last week... finally after talking to Dishcare a replacement was shipped out. I was hoping to be lucky like many other users and find a nice black 9242 in the box, but it was indeed another 9200. Hopefully the upgrade is what is happening, and they will replace my unit in August.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Appears only 4 transponders Mpeg2 left on 82

I had noticed just this morning that only transponders 1,2,15, and 16 from 82 show up on a Mpeg 2 receiver now. I wonder if all Std Def and locals will migrate back over to 91 and use 82 for just HD. (This may also be part the reason some have a hard time finding 82 with Mpeg 2 Receivers.)
Bell will probably use all the returned receivers as the "FREE LOCAL channels" receivers in Mpeg 2.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
So how many channels can BTV add with this MPEG4 & 8SPK? the 43 locals + how many on top of that?

It should be noted that Dish uses MPEG 4(not sure if the also use 8SPK) for their eastern aerc subs. All channels both SD & HD are in MPEG4 and all subs where upgradd to MPEG 4 receivers.

So its possible for BTV to go this way.

But $50Million!! :eek: I would thiink it would cost way more then that to swap out receivers?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell is only upgrading HD receivers. Let's say Bell has 600,000 HD receivers in the field and that 25% need upgrading. (Don't know if that's correct but it's probably within +-50% of actual numbers.) That's $60,000,000 / 150,000 = $400 per receiver. That sounds fairly generous to me.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have 1 6100 left so it will be nice to get rid of it for a 6131. Also im pretty sure Bell needs another sat + MPEG 4 to give us what we should have.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
directs BCE’s DTH service to carry at least 43 additional television services that meet the following criteria in standard definition by 31 August 2012
It reads from Dr Daves quote that the 43 channels are going to be in SD not HD, so it should be possible to squeeze those on maybe 4 transponders.?

These would be freed by using MPEG4 on the other 24 transponders on 82.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bell is only upgrading HD receivers. Let's say Bell has 600,000 HD receivers in the field and that 25% need upgrading. (Don't know if that's correct but it's probably within +-50% of actual numbers.) That's $60,000,000 / 150,000 = $400 per receiver. That sounds fairly generous to me.
More or less. They need to pay the staff to handle the switch (CSR, warehouse guys, installers, etc). They need to restart production of the 9242 (presumably they won't have enough refurbs on hand to meet the demand). Plus they need to properly dispose of the old receivers. 400$ per receiver sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I could be wrong but I think I read that the US version of the 9200 is still being sold as a Dual Tuner SD Receiver, maybe we will see them re-introduced here as that (same as the old 5200) when they get them back and refurbish them.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The 512 is their "new" single TV dual tuner SD PVR. It is a 625 with the TV2 removed. I am pretty sure it is MPEG4 so I think you are right.

Edit: The 512 is not MPEG4 but is 8psk.

Bell will just standardize on the 9241 and 6131 I guess. 9200 customers should get refurb 9242s.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Thanks peano, I knew you would have the facts....

1 - 20 of 198 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.