Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any news yet as to who will carry Rugby World Cup 2011 in Canada? Or whether anybody will broadcast that tournament at all? South of the border NBC and its group will broadcast it, but I do not know to what extent.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
NBC will have the final, Universal Sports should have every other game. Not sure if it will be live (in the middle of the night) or on tape delay the next afternoon.

For Canada, if I had to guess it will be on Setanta Sports. I could see Sportsnet or Sportsnet One airing Canadian games though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Setanta carried the tournament last time around, so I would imagine it would be carried by them again. I can't see any other networks being overly interested due to the time difference.

Sportsnet I believe shuts down at midnight (local time depending which one it is) and shows Sportsnet Connected until about noon. So since the Rugby World Cup games will be overnight, I don't see SNet carrying it.

TSN doesn't shut down overnight and TSN2 does show live Aussie Rules Football overnight, so it is possible TSN would carry it. Highly doubtful since I don't remember seeing rugby on TSN since before Sportsnet existed.

The wildcard in this might be CBC. Since CBC seems to be trying to acquire properties to put on their "amateur" sports channel (if it is ever launched), they have shown some rugby recently. Actually, I think outside of Setanta they are the only channel to have shown rugby in 2010. They showed the Canadian Championship leg of the Americas Rugby Championship. Granted, this was partly because it was held in Newfoundland (where they rarely televise events from) and occurred on Participaction Day. So I'm not holding serious hope that the CBC (or Bold) will carry the Rugby World Cup. But, you never know what they might do, as the CBC occasionally picks up events you don't expect them to.

The only channel that would even be on the radar for this would be Fox Sports World Canada. The only reason I could see them broadcast this is if they were getting worried about not fulfilling the rugby requirement of their broadcast license. Seems to me it does clearly indicate rugby as one of their programming choices. I'm not sure whether the CRTC dictates that if you name something as part of your programming options that you must show it. I would lean toward not, only that if you so chose to you could air it. Since it is largely a rebroadcaster of the US based Fox Soccer Channel, unless FSC shows it, they won't either.

I think best money would be on Setanta though.

As for the US coverage, I don't think NBC will be showing any of the games. Since again it occurs overnight (and NBC didn't even show the Olympics live overnight), it will be on Universal Sports. Though Versus might be part of the NBC family now, so it might be on there. Regardless, unless you have a grey market dish (and I don't know if Universal Sports is even carried on those), you won't find the US coverage in Canada.

Seems to me the only broadcast network I saw rugby on in 2010 was ABC. I think they aired a highlight show of the US Sevens tournament and I want to call it the College Rugby Championship. Though it may have been the US Super League Championship. Regardless, CBS, FOX and NBC all didn't air any rugby.

Sad state of rugby broadcasting as of late in Canada though. I remember when all of Canada's test matches were shown on Sportsnet. The National Rugby League from Australia's playoffs were shown on Spike TV and there were the occasional Super 12 matches on TSN. Even Fox Sports World Canada used to show international rugby. Now, you don't get anything outside of Setanta's huge rugby package and TV5 showing France and French League games.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
NBC will air the final. Their press release explicitly said this. Universal Sports is available OTA from Buffalo and Seattle in Toronto and Vancouver respectively, I believe. NBC also aired the US College Rugby 7s Championship last year and will air the USA 7s next weekend. They are upping their commitment to the sport because of 7s inclusion in the 2016 Olympics. Having said that, I think we will see the final air on tape delay the next afternoon.

As for Canada, FSWC certainly won't have it. They don't have the resources to air such a big event. CBC might be interested, but I would also put my money on a Setanta/Sportsnet combo.

Didn't Spike only air NRL for the playoffs a couple seasons ago? It was a quick, last minute contract as I remember it. I think America One took over US rights to the NRL after that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
NBC will air the final. Their press release explicitly said this. Universal Sports is available OTA from Buffalo and Seattle in Toronto and Vancouver respectively, I believe. NBC also aired the US College Rugby 7s Championship last year and will air the USA 7s next weekend. They are upping their commitment to the sport because of 7s inclusion in the 2016 Olympics. Having said that, I think we will see the final air on tape delay the next afternoon.

As for Canada, FSWC certainly won't have it. They don't have the resources to air such a big event. CBC might be interested, but I would also put my money on a Setanta/Sportsnet combo.

Didn't Spike only air NRL for the playoffs a couple seasons ago? It was a quick, last minute contract as I remember it. I think America One took over US rights to the NRL after that.
Ok I could've sworn it was ABC's Wide World of Sports umbrella that showed the Sevens. Either way, I think it was brought forth by the US Rugby Union as they had planned a Sevens league in the US to compete with the NRLUS. Of course it died as quick as it was planned.

Yes it was a quickly negotiated contracted that was on the heels on the plans for NRLUS. Of course, that never went any farther than Jacksonville Axemen from the USARL (the RL Superleague in the US) being offered a pro team. However, since then the amount of rugby on non-Setanta has disappeared largely.

As for Universal, I didn't realize it even had the strength to make it OTA to Canada. I wish that the CRTC would allow Universal to be added since they carry a lot of the oddball sports I enjoy.

·
Registered
718 Posts
IRB Sevens on Universal Sports / NBC

Got to add that I am sooooo enjoying the IRB Rugby Sevens near wall to wall coverage from Vegas this weekend. :cool:

Bodes well for the RWC, just so long as they telecast live overnight and plan ahead to put a hold on all that daft paid programming.

Edit: of course free to air Six Nations would have been good too!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Got to add that I am sooooo enjoying the IRB Rugby Sevens near wall to wall coverage from Vegas this weekend. :cool:

Bodes well for the RWC, just so long as they telecast live overnight and plan ahead to put a hold on all that daft paid programming.

Edit: of course free to air Six Nations would have been good too!
I have been enjoying the Sevens too on NBC. Since NBC is likely doing this in anticipation of Sevens being in the Olympics, I am surprised CTV is not doing the same. I mean TSN and TSN2 largely shows nothing overnight, the Sevens tournaments overseas would occur live during this time. Since PVRs are becoming prevalent (my technophobe parents even have one now), overnight broadcasts can still be valuable to networks. I realize in theory PVRs are no different than VCRs, but it does seem that people record more with PVRs than they ever did with VCRs.

It would be nice if Canadian sports networks began showing more things live overnight. I'd love to be able to see more than one Aussie Football game a week.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I just have to ask, since when as CTV/TSN cared about "amateur" sports (yes I know rugby isn't really amateur). They wouldn't even pay a small price to show something like speed skating World Cups leading up to the 2010 Olympics, which would have been more popular than rugby. If anything, I am surprised that Setanta doesn't have Canadian rights.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just have to ask, since when as CTV/TSN cared about "amateur" sports (yes I know rugby isn't really amateur). They wouldn't even pay a small price to show something like speed skating World Cups leading up to the 2010 Olympics, which would have been more popular than rugby. If anything, I am surprised that Setanta doesn't have Canadian rights.
True, but since most Canadians know little about rugby and even less about Sevens. You'd think TSN would carry some of the tournaments to ensure higher ratings for the Olympics. Then again, since the early 90's, TSN hasn't carried much in the way of Olympic sports. They used to do bobsledding and some skiing, but I think they have phased that out except for during the Olympics themselves.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The other thing is that it is quite possible that CBC and/or Shaw Media might win the 2016 Olympics. I don't think that TSN would want to make an investment into promoting an event they don't even have yet.

Sportsnet is a lot better for carrying "Olympic" sports. They have alpine skiing, freestyle skiing (both through FIS), snowboarding (through TTR), beach volleyball (through FIVB) and women's soccer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The other thing is that it is quite possible that CBC and/or Shaw Media might win the 2016 Olympics. I don't think that TSN would want to make an investment into promoting an event they don't even have yet.

Sportsnet is a lot better for carrying "Olympic" sports. They have alpine skiing, freestyle skiing (both through FIS), snowboarding (through TTR), beach volleyball (through FIVB) and women's soccer.
I thought CTV's conglomerate had won the 2016 rights too. I thought the next Olympics that were up for bids is 2020?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

If CBC and Shaw gets into a consortium for 2016 Olympics, what are their vehicles?

In Vancouver 2010, CTVgm and Rogers consortium mainly had four screens in English (CTV, TSN, TSN2, RSN) and two screens in French (RSN, V). All were in HD. CBC/Shaw, on the other hand, I can only three screens in English (CBC, bold, Global) and one in French (SRC). Even then, bold is not in HD, not with Videotron. Also, does Shaw have any asset in sports programming? The last time I watched sports on Global was the 2008 Super Bowl. And it was not even their own production.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Shaw has filed to the CRTC to start a sports channel and CBC already has a sports channel approved by the CRTC that hasn't launched. If either got the Olympics they would use these. Having two OTA channels certainly helps a lot too. They could also use Fox Sports World for soccer and rugby 7s for example.

Shaw will most likely bring back a Global Sports department. They have already added to Global's PGA coverage by actually having a PGA section on their website (I know it is a small step, but it is a step).

Radio-Canada also has a yet-to-be-launched sports channel, which I think is likely to launch anyway because RDS will be its only competition.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does anyone know how far out from the world cup they will announce who has the Canadian broadcast rights? Being an NZ'er I have to see all the All Black games of course, no matter what time of day/night they are on :)

The only problem with Setanta is that they are basically just a soccer channel and all other sports are an after thought. If there is a WC match on at the same time as any old soccer game, preference will be given to soccer. However if they show all the matches live and in HD then subscribing to Setanta for the duration of the tournament will be fine.

Failing that I guess there will be some kind of HD online streaming available, just hope its not too pricey. I think last World Cup I downloaded them after the fact which is still a last resort as its easy to avoid the resutls, be nice to see the games live though.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
If Setanta get rights, then you can bet that every game will be live. Almost every game will be over night here in Canada (start times range from 5:00pm ET to 2:30am ET if my conversion from NZ time to ET is correct.

I haven't heard anything about TSN having rights. They certainly haven't issued a press release. If you have a source, then please post it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If Setanta get rights, then you can bet that every game will be live.
That was not the case in 2007 when Setanta had the rights. The opening match between France and Argentina was live and they also showed some preliminary round matches live - Canada v Japan, Portugal v New Zealand (I think), Ireland v Georgia - and I believe a couple in the knock-out stage. But almost all the matches between the big teams including the knock-out stage were shown the next day on Setanta and only live on PPV. Setanta had just started up a week or two before the 2007 RWC but I don't think that was a factor in them not getting more live matches.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Sorry, I should have been clearer. What I meant was if Setanta get exclusive rights (i.e. no PPV) then you can bet all games will be live because they won't conflict with live Premiership games.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts