Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AMC now has a third good drama about intelligence analysis at a think tank. It's slow moving but I'm starting to enjoy the show, although some of it is kind of corny. One scene had a secret agent type ducking in to darkened doorway to avoid detection.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I gave up on it as of the end of last week.

Pros

The Old Guy running the API shop is an interesting character. His transformation during the trip to DC was good, kind of doddering and out of it but once he hits DC, sharp as a tack - he made two great speeches on 'the tie' and 'it's a gift' that went to heart of intel work these days.

Cons

- the Miranda Richardson subplot, like watching HGTV as she picks her way through that impossibly wide and well decorated townhouse. Criminally bad, like they could afford her for only one day and shot all her scenes quickly.

-too many cliched characters ( the Retired Burned Out Guy, the 9/11 Dad, the Young, Troubled but Brilliant Analyst, the Grumpy Boss etc etc....)

-a character who is a bad photocopy of Arvin Sloane

-poor writing and direction, at times it feels a bit like really a slow version of National Treasure and then sometimes like some sort of askew Charlie Rose segment (see the 'bomb him or not' debating club segment that went on...and on....)

-the lack of technology used by the team makes sense to a point, but often gets stretched past it. E.g. calling in a hit by using crossword puzzles across multiple newspapers? Come on..

-at times, the show seems to stop and look at itself and say 'aren't we clever'? And this is happening already. Eg the scene last week where three of the 'conspirators' were standing in the inevitable abandoned building. LOL it was grasping to be 'heavy' and ended up coming off so contrived

Sorry to tee off at length at this, but I've been so disappointed by Rubicon.

I think there is a real gap for an intelligent political drama, something like BBC's Mi5/Spooks, which I really like. When I heard AMC was stepping up, I looked forward to it.

But just too slow. Five episodes gone = 40% of Year 1.

More comments see www.televisionwithoutpity.com - Rubicon forum. Consensus is that the pace is killing this show.

But the worse thing about it is, I had moments watching it when I really, really wished Alias was still on.

·
Registered
259 Posts
An excellent criticism. I'm going to stick with it for awhile, because it is a quality show, but I sure hope it speeds up a little. BTW, we don't want to get off topic, but I agree that Spooks is an excellent show, and I'm surprised that it can't get an audience on this side of the pond. Also, if you can find it, there was an 80s(?) BBC show called The Sandbaggers (with Roy Marsden) that was without a doubt the most outstanding quality, realistic spy/political drama of all time.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I enjoyed this show, yes it was slow and yes they could of wrapped things up better in the finale. I think the show is more about the human element then the main story line. If it comes back for a second season I hope they expose us to more details & information.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Very well done series, but basically disappointing. Just too slow, and yes, the finale was disappointing. Still, I hope they bring it back for another season.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I really enjoyed the whole season and found it a breath of fresh air from most of the crap on tv. Some may find it slow but it was just right for me, building the story and drawing you in. I'm hoping it gets picked up for a second season by AMC.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Aww I enjoyed the show.
Well I can understand why, it was very very slow. The format does not really work for most people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts