Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hoping to pick ur collective brains about a router. It’s time to replace my dlink and I like their products. Does anyone have a recommendation ?

Background:
We’re retired and there’s just the two of us but we use it for two iPads a tablet, 2 iPhones, two laptops, a desktop and a iPod touch (don’t ask). It’s also used for a Roku box, an Amazon Firestick and other devices but it’s not used for games. We browse, bank, email, subscribe to the newspaper, etc...nothing big deal.

So, I don’t need anything special but I’m not looking for a bargain basement basic model nor do I need features I’ll never use. I want security..WPA2 (AES), preferable WPA3. I’d greatly appreciate your input.

·
Super Moderator
56,637 Posts
It would be good to know what modem you're currently using (I assume you have one in bridge mode?) Are you with Rogers? if not, which ISP - it can make a difference. If you're with Rogers are you giving any consideration to switching to their IgniteTV service or have you already? If a switch to IgniteTV is in your future, you may wish to hang on for now and then do some investigating when you switch and perhaps even simply make use of their modem/router/gateway and potentially pods....

Please provide some additional information on your situation...

·
Registered
169 Posts
It would also be useful to know how the area square footage you're trying to cover with WiFi.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If yours is the average Canadian home of 3000sqft, give or take, one of the recent Asus products could be a good place to start. I’m using a (slightly) older rt-ac86 model, and I’ve got coverage from the back fence to 2/3rds of the way down the driveway, and it’s never hiccuped with a similar collection of client devices in the 2 years since purchase/commissioning. The upcoming firmware upgrade will also include wpa3 iirc, so for $200 give or take, it’s a solid machine.

If you go this route, I would suggest you consider flashing it with the Merlin firmware to take advantage of some of the scripts developed by members of that community - Quality of Service, network level adblocking and firewall, self-hosted caching recursive DNS server...these all have enhanced my user experience and hardened network security and helped maintain my online privacy. (You do have an IPv6 connection from your ISP, yes?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Square footage is important but router placement is as well. Most install modem/router at the demarc location in the basement. I relocated my router to a shelf in the kitchen. I now have excellent wifi coverage on all floors and solid in the backyard.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’ve recently made a similar change: isp-provided modem/router now within 2m of demarc and power panel, bridged and asus unit in a central closet on the top floor. I can occasionally connect to my network (with surprisingly good signal!) on the next street over.
Don’t mess with Cat5e: Cat6 is the new standard for infrastructure wiring.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ah, right: I forgot to mention that AiMesh functionality on Asus’ routers with recent software makes expanding your wifi and making it ubiquitous, especially v2 in the latest version. It can be done wirelessly, but for best results, a cable between each machine is best.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
It would be good to know what modem you're currently using (I assume you have one in bridge mode?) Are you with Rogers? if not, which ISP - it can make a difference. If you're with Rogers are you giving any consideration to switching to their IgniteTV service or have you already? If a switch to IgniteTV is in your future, you may wish to hang on for now and then do some investigating when you switch and perhaps even simply make use of their modem/router/gateway and potentially pods....

Please provide some additional information on your situation...
Also, if you're on Rogers, you want one that supports IPv6, with DHCPv6-PD.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, IPv6 support (especially from ISPs- an isp is a no-go for me if they don’t support native IPv6) is important moving forward, but I don’t think it has been omitted from models recently as a “cost cutting” attempt. (Asus’ offerings have for these requirements for quite a while now)...
Ymmv

1 - 12 of 12 Posts